Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer, multiple computer sc..

i tried to scan multiple computer on my network and it told me that my user
account wasn't a user administrator
"User is not an administrator on the scanned machine"
how can i be an user administrator on an other computer
how can i create an user on my computer who would be an user administrator
on another computer on my network

drunkevil wrote:

> i tried to scan multiple computer on my network and it told me that my user
> account wasn't a user administrator
> "User is not an administrator on the scanned machine"
> how can i be an user administrator on an other computer
> how can i create an user on my computer who would be an user administrator
> on another computer on my network
Hi,

Is this computers in an Active Directory domain?

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> drunkevil wrote:
>
> > i tried to scan multiple computer on my network and it told me that my user
> > account wasn't a user administrator
> > "User is not an administrator on the scanned machine"
> > how can i be an user administrator on an other computer
> > how can i create an user on my computer who would be an user administrator
> > on another computer on my network
> Hi,
>
> Is this computers in an Active Directory domain?

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

no but it is in a workgroup

drunkevil wrote:

> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
>> drunkevil wrote:
>>
>>> i tried to scan multiple computer on my network and it told
>>> me that my user account wasn't a user administrator
>>> "User is not an administrator on the scanned machine"
>>> how can i be an user administrator on an other computer
>>> how can i create an user on my computer who would be an user
>>> administrator on another computer on my network
>>
>> Is this computers in an Active Directory domain?
>
> no but it is in a workgroup
Hi,

Take a look at the threads here and see if you find some solutions
that work for you::
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as_q=workgroup&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer

Also, for Windows XP computers, you need to handle the ForceGuest
issue:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer/browse_frm/thread/1cc82115f3772ad9/7c2c089710843582?q=workgroup+group:microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer&rnum=8#7c2c089710843582

Note that for Windows XP in a workgroup setting, all connections coming
from "the network" will be authenticated as the Guest User.

Note that for WinXP Home you cannot disable the ForceGuest behavior
(only in WinXP Pro).

A direct registry edit is also possible to change this setting:

HOWTO: Validate User Credentials on Microsoft Operating Systems

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;180548

<quote>
On Windows XP, the ForceGuest registry value is set to 1 by default in
the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

On a Windows XP computer that is a member of a workgroup:

If ForceGuest is enabled (set to 1), SSPI will always try to log on
using the Guest account.

If the Guest account is enabled, an SSPI logon will succeed as Guest
for any user credentials.

If the Guest account is disabled, an SSPI logon will fail even for
valid credentials.

If ForceGuest is disabled (set to 0), SSPI will log on as the specified
user.

</quote>

More about ForceGuest here as well:

How to Set Security in Windows XP Professional That Is Installed
in a Workgroup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290403

SMTP Authentication Configuration on Windows XP Professional Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304707

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> drunkevil wrote:

> >> Is this computers in an Active Directory domain?
> >
> > no but it is in a workgroup
> Hi,
>
> Take a look at the threads here and see if you find some solutions
> that work for you::
> http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as_q=workgroup&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer
>

> Also, for Windows XP computers, you need to handle the ForceGuest
> issue:

i tried to do this but it didn't work
i wasn't sure if i had to set the forceguest to 0 on all computers or only
on mine
is there an other way to do it?

drunkevil wrote:

> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
>>
>> Take a look at the threads here and see if you find some solutions
>> that work for you::
>>http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as_q=workgroup&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer
>>

>> Also, for Windows XP computers, you need to handle the ForceGuest
>> issue:
>

> i tried to do this but it didn't work
> i wasn't sure if i had to set the forceguest to 0 on all computers or only
> on mine
> is there an other way to do it?
Hi,

You will need to set it on all computers (note that it will not work
on WinXP Home).

Also, look through the threads on the firs page here:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as_q=workgroup&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer

Note that "Folder Options/Use simple file sharing" and GPEDIT.MSC and
the "Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts"
policy setting is just another way of changing the ForceGuest value.

If you still have problems, I suggest you post to the newsgroup