Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer, multiple computer sc..

i tried to scan multiple computer on my network and it told me that my user
account wasn't a user administrator
"User is not an administrator on the scanned machine"
how can i be an user administrator on an other computer
how can i create an user on my computer who would be an user administrator
on another computer on my network
5 answers Last reply
More about microsoft baseline security analyzer multiple computer

    drunkevil wrote:

    > i tried to scan multiple computer on my network and it told me that my user
    > account wasn't a user administrator
    > "User is not an administrator on the scanned machine"
    > how can i be an user administrator on an other computer
    > how can i create an user on my computer who would be an user administrator
    > on another computer on my network
    Hi,

    Is this computers in an Active Directory domain?

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > drunkevil wrote:
    >
    > > i tried to scan multiple computer on my network and it told me that my user
    > > account wasn't a user administrator
    > > "User is not an administrator on the scanned machine"
    > > how can i be an user administrator on an other computer
    > > how can i create an user on my computer who would be an user administrator
    > > on another computer on my network
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is this computers in an Active Directory domain?

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    no but it is in a workgroup

    drunkevil wrote:

    > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
    >> drunkevil wrote:
    >>
    >>> i tried to scan multiple computer on my network and it told
    >>> me that my user account wasn't a user administrator
    >>> "User is not an administrator on the scanned machine"
    >>> how can i be an user administrator on an other computer
    >>> how can i create an user on my computer who would be an user
    >>> administrator on another computer on my network
    >>
    >> Is this computers in an Active Directory domain?
    >
    > no but it is in a workgroup
    Hi,

    Take a look at the threads here and see if you find some solutions
    that work for you::
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as_q=workgroup&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer

    Also, for Windows XP computers, you need to handle the ForceGuest
    issue:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer/browse_frm/thread/1cc82115f3772ad9/7c2c089710843582?q=workgroup+group:microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer&rnum=8#7c2c089710843582

    Note that for Windows XP in a workgroup setting, all connections coming
    from "the network" will be authenticated as the Guest User.

    Note that for WinXP Home you cannot disable the ForceGuest behavior
    (only in WinXP Pro).

    A direct registry edit is also possible to change this setting:

    HOWTO: Validate User Credentials on Microsoft Operating Systems

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;180548

    <quote>
    On Windows XP, the ForceGuest registry value is set to 1 by default in
    the following registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

    On a Windows XP computer that is a member of a workgroup:

    If ForceGuest is enabled (set to 1), SSPI will always try to log on
    using the Guest account.

    If the Guest account is enabled, an SSPI logon will succeed as Guest
    for any user credentials.

    If the Guest account is disabled, an SSPI logon will fail even for
    valid credentials.

    If ForceGuest is disabled (set to 0), SSPI will log on as the specified
    user.

    </quote>

    More about ForceGuest here as well:

    How to Set Security in Windows XP Professional That Is Installed
    in a Workgroup
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290403

    SMTP Authentication Configuration on Windows XP Professional Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304707

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > drunkevil wrote:

    > >> Is this computers in an Active Directory domain?
    > >
    > > no but it is in a workgroup
    > Hi,
    >
    > Take a look at the threads here and see if you find some solutions
    > that work for you::
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as_q=workgroup&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer
    >

    > Also, for Windows XP computers, you need to handle the ForceGuest
    > issue:

    i tried to do this but it didn't work
    i wasn't sure if i had to set the forceguest to 0 on all computers or only
    on mine
    is there an other way to do it?

    drunkevil wrote:

    > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
    >>
    >> Take a look at the threads here and see if you find some solutions
    >> that work for you::
    >>http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as_q=workgroup&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer
    >>

    >> Also, for Windows XP computers, you need to handle the ForceGuest
    >> issue:
    >

    > i tried to do this but it didn't work
    > i wasn't sure if i had to set the forceguest to 0 on all computers or only
    > on mine
    > is there an other way to do it?
    Hi,

    You will need to set it on all computers (note that it will not work
    on WinXP Home).

    Also, look through the threads on the firs page here:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as_q=workgroup&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer

    Note that "Folder Options/Use simple file sharing" and GPEDIT.MSC and
    the "Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts"
    policy setting is just another way of changing the ForceGuest value.

    If you still have problems, I suggest you post to the newsgroup
    microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Security Computers Microsoft Windows XP