Will ATI go SLI?

Just wondering if this is a fad or something ATI is looking into. Thoughts?

Ron

"Rockin Ronnie" <joiner@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Just wondering if this is a fad or something ATI is looking into.
> Thoughts?
>
> Ron

If you mean will ATI "licence" SLI technolgy so that it is compatible with
Nvidia "sli" motherboards, I doubt it. I think they should look at Gigabytes
"sli on aboard" idea and see it they can't get two GPU's working together on
a single board.

"John Russell" <john_e_russell@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Rockin Ronnie" <joiner@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Just wondering if this is a fad or something ATI is looking into.
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Ron
>
> If you mean will ATI "licence" SLI technolgy so that it is compatible with
> Nvidia "sli" motherboards, I doubt it. I think they should look at
> Gigabytes "sli on aboard" idea and see it they can't get two GPU's working
> together on a single board.

Oh how soon we forget.

Voodoo5 5500AGP
64MB Dual-Chip SLI

Luck;
Ken

Ken Maltby wrote:

> "John Russell" <john_e_russell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Rockin Ronnie" <joiner@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> Just wondering if this is a fad or something ATI is looking into.
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Ron
>>
>> If you mean will ATI "licence" SLI technolgy so that it is compatible
>> with Nvidia "sli" motherboards, I doubt it. I think they should look at
>> Gigabytes "sli on aboard" idea and see it they can't get two GPU's
>> working together on a single board.
>>

> Oh how soon we forget.
>
> Voodoo5 5500AGP
> 64MB Dual-Chip SLI

Remember the Rage Fury Maxx?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"John Russell" <john_e_russell@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Rockin Ronnie" <joiner@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Just wondering if this is a fad or something ATI is looking into.
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Ron
>
> If you mean will ATI "licence" SLI technolgy so that it is compatible with
> Nvidia "sli" motherboards, I doubt it. I think they should look at
> Gigabytes "sli on aboard" idea and see it they can't get two GPU's working
> together on a single board.

I think that the two card idea is great. I had my primary video card (TNT 2
I think... oh the agony!), then two 12MB Voodoo 2's in SLI at one point. I
must have blown nearly $600 just for this graphics card setup, but it kicked
ass at the time, and for several years. The advantage is of course that you
can use one card, and then add another down the road as you can afford it
and/or they become more affordable. Kind of like popping in another stick of
RAM. I spent $500 for my X800 XT PE, and would I spend another $500 now?
Hell, no! But in a year if they cost $200 I would buy another one for SLI
especially if it bumped my graphics performance greater than 50%. No new
graphics technology will ever do that compared with one generation earlier
in a single card/GPU setup.

http://www.dvhardware.net/article1914.html

It's been done, if only in prototype form. I think the pictured card even
has VIVO capabilities.

Rockin Ronnie wrote:
> Just wondering if this is a fad or something ATI is looking into.
> Thoughts?
>
> Ron

I can't imagine there is going to be a large market for that. Most of us
consider it a big deal if we can afford to buy ONE high end video card...

jk

True. I don't think there is a market for an SLI setup involving two high
end video cards. At least not a market that anybody would want to take a
chance on. Even 3DFX gave up on the two card setup when it developed the
Voodoo 3 following the SLI capable Voodoo 2 , and then the Voodoo 5500. I
bought all of those cards, the last one two weeks before 3DFX went belly up.
Oh well.

Nope, I think PCI Express, once it is fully implemented combined with
superfast GPU's, singly or in pairs, will make SLI unnecessary.

JK

JK left a note on my windscreen which said:

> True. I don't think there is a market for an SLI setup involving two high
> end video cards. At least not a market that anybody would want to take a
> chance on. Even 3DFX gave up on the two card setup when it developed the
> Voodoo 3 following the SLI capable Voodoo 2 , and then the Voodoo 5500. I
> bought all of those cards, the last one two weeks before 3DFX went belly up.
> Oh well.

You're probably correct. SLI on high end cards will only be a niche
market or for those who simply have to have the fastest thing regardless
of cost.

I know it's a waste of money but I must admit I am seriously thinking
about two 6800 Ultra's in SLI maybe next year for my next build.
Coupled with an Athlon FX55. Just 'because'.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

Andrew

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:35:51 -0000, Stoneskin <no@thanks.com> wrote:

>You're probably correct. SLI on high end cards will only be a niche
>market or for those who simply have to have the fastest thing regardless
>of cost.

When I bought my Voodoo 2 (when it was released), I paid 250GBP, the
prospect of paying 500GPB for SLI was plainly silly. A year or two
later I bought a second V2 for 80GBP with gave me a great upgrade for
an affordable cost.

I can see myself using the same strategy in the future.

"Rockin Ronnie" <joiner@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Just wondering if this is a fad or something ATI is looking into.
> Thoughts?
>
> Ron

If nVidia is doing it, ATI pretty much also has to. I agree that SLI will
only be seriously considered and implemented by a small number of users, but
things like this usually come down to public perception.

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "John Russell" <john_e_russell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Rockin Ronnie" <joiner@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> Just wondering if this is a fad or something ATI is looking into.
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Ron
>>
>> If you mean will ATI "licence" SLI technolgy so that it is compatible
>> with Nvidia "sli" motherboards, I doubt it. I think they should look at
>> Gigabytes "sli on aboard" idea and see it they can't get two GPU's
>> working together on a single board.
>>

> Oh how soon we forget.
>
> Voodoo5 5500AGP
> 64MB Dual-Chip SLI
>
> Luck;
> Ken
Nvidia's "SLI" is not the same as the old 3DFX "SLI" (Scan Line
Interleave - thank god!)

Crimson Liar

ATI already had SLI before, and probably will again.
It was in the Rage Fury MAXX line, there were 2 GPU's on a single card.

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:12:59 GMT, "Toe Jam" <toejam@yourfoot.com>
wrote:

>Rockin Ronnie wrote:
>> Just wondering if this is a fad or something ATI is looking into.
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Ron
>

>I can't imagine there is going to be a large market for that. Most of us
>consider it a big deal if we can afford to buy ONE high end video card...

Dual 6600GT-PCIExpress will be quite hot. Possibly buy one 6600GT
and another later under the SLI-certification program ( supposedly
guaranteeing that boards match in SLI-mode ). Gives either quad-head
out in non-SLI-mode, or dual-head SLI performance almost equal to a
single 6800 Ultra and the dual-price is likely to quickly drop below
that of the single-Ultra, unless nVidia quickly cranks the 6800
GT/UltraGPU on a smaller-geometry process - as with the X800XT,
the 6800GT and Ultra current yields are poor, keeping the prices high.

In an interesting variation, Gigabyte has already announced a AGP
board with dual 6600GT in SLI-configuration, so Ati has distinctly
missed this particular boat. If Ati do a dual-chip configuration, it
will either have to be a kludge around an existing GPU, or a new GPU
for which the driver will probably take months to perfect. On the
SLI-driver alone, nVidia has nearly a one-year head-start.

John Lewis

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:31:06 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"John Russell" <john_e_russell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Rockin Ronnie" <joiner@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> Just wondering if this is a fad or something ATI is looking into.
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Ron
>>
>> If you mean will ATI "licence" SLI technolgy so that it is compatible with
>> Nvidia "sli" motherboards, I doubt it. I think they should look at
>> Gigabytes "sli on aboard" idea and see it they can't get two GPU's working
>> together on a single board.
>>

> Oh how soon we forget.
>
>Voodoo5 5500AGP
>64MB Dual-Chip SLI

Not I. I have that very card in the computer on which I am composing
this reply-posting. Works like a champ.

Also a SBLive! with SB16 genuine emulation and can dual-boot to Win98.
I use this machine ( w/Celeron 1100MHz ) for word-processing, news,
email, general business and Glide/DOS games. Very useful indeed.

John Lewis

John Lewis wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:12:59 GMT, "Toe Jam" <toejam@yourfoot.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Rockin Ronnie wrote:
>>> Just wondering if this is a fad or something ATI is looking into.
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Ron
>>

>>I can't imagine there is going to be a large market for that. Most of us
>>consider it a big deal if we can afford to buy ONE high end video card...
>>

> Dual 6600GT-PCIExpress will be quite hot. Possibly buy one 6600GT
> and another later under the SLI-certification program ( supposedly
> guaranteeing that boards match in SLI-mode ). Gives either quad-head
> out in non-SLI-mode, or dual-head SLI performance almost equal to a
> single 6800 Ultra and the dual-price is likely to quickly drop below
> that of the single-Ultra, unless nVidia quickly cranks the 6800
> GT/UltraGPU on a smaller-geometry process - as with the X800XT,
> the 6800GT and Ultra current yields are poor, keeping the prices high.
>
> In an interesting variation, Gigabyte has already announced a AGP
> board with dual 6600GT in SLI-configuration, so Ati has distinctly
> missed this particular boat. If Ati do a dual-chip configuration, it
> will either have to be a kludge around an existing GPU, or a new GPU
> for which the driver will probably take months to perfect. On the
> SLI-driver alone, nVidia has nearly a one-year head-start.

I thought one of the selling points for the new-style SLI was that it didn't
need a special driver.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 16:35:45 -0500, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:12:59 GMT, "Toe Jam" <toejam@yourfoot.com>
>> wrote:

>>>I can't imagine there is going to be a large market for that. Most of us
>>>consider it a big deal if we can afford to buy ONE high end video card...
>>>

>> Dual 6600GT-PCIExpress will be quite hot. Possibly buy one 6600GT
>> and another later under the SLI-certification program ( supposedly
>> guaranteeing that boards match in SLI-mode ). Gives either quad-head
>> out in non-SLI-mode, or dual-head SLI performance almost equal to a
>> single 6800 Ultra and the dual-price is likely to quickly drop below
>> that of the single-Ultra, unless nVidia quickly cranks the 6800
>> GT/UltraGPU on a smaller-geometry process - as with the X800XT,
>> the 6800GT and Ultra current yields are poor, keeping the prices high.
>>
>> In an interesting variation, Gigabyte has already announced a AGP
>> board with dual 6600GT in SLI-configuration, so Ati has distinctly
>> missed this particular boat. If Ati do a dual-chip configuration, it
>> will either have to be a kludge around an existing GPU, or a new GPU
>> for which the driver will probably take months to perfect. On the
>> SLI-driver alone, nVidia has nearly a one-year head-start.
>
>I thought one of the selling points for the new-style SLI was that it didn't
>need a special driver.

AFAIK, the SLI functions are in the latest nVidia unified drivers and
non-functional for configurations not recognized as genuine SLI.

John Lewis