Firewall will not turn off

a b 8 Security
May 17, 2005 11:38:17 AM

I am attempting to turn off the firewall in the security properties in Win XP
home. I can tick the Off on the General config tab and click OK but
apparently that is not allowing the firewall to be disabled. I still see the
radio button colored green and set to "On" and Windows is not notifying me
that I may be at risk as it should do if the firewall is off. I'm unable to
connect my FTP client to my personal webspace on the server at my local ISP
and I'm thinking the firewall is the problem. How can I turn it off?

More about : firewall turn

May 17, 2005 3:15:02 PM

In news:A4105A9A-F981-4CD1-A160-C307BDD070BE@microsoft.com,
juuls <juuls@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I am attempting to turn off the firewall in the security properties
> in Win XP home. I can tick the Off on the General config tab and
> click OK but apparently that is not allowing the firewall to be
> disabled. I still see the radio button colored green and set to "On"
> and Windows is not notifying me that I may be at risk as it should do
> if the firewall is off. I'm unable to connect my FTP client to my
> personal webspace on the server at my local ISP and I'm thinking the
> firewall is the problem. How can I turn it off?

Enable PASV or passive support in your FTP client. Disabling your firewall
isn't usually the best solution. (I'm not sure why you're unable to turn it
off, perhaps you have installed some sort of protection software that is
preventing you from doing so?)

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
May 17, 2005 8:41:01 PM

If conventional turning it off does not work try and stop the ICF service
through Services snap-in MMC.
a b 8 Security
May 18, 2005 12:14:01 AM

Can you please explain how to do this? I've again tried to turn off the
firewall though conventional methods. I also noted that within the security
properties the port settings for an FTP to use are "unavailable" to adjust.
I cannot understand what might be causing either of these issues.

juuls

"Jack" wrote:

> If conventional turning it off does not work try and stop the ICF service
> through Services snap-in MMC.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 18, 2005 12:23:01 AM

I have had "passive" enabled in my FTP client. It appears to me that the FTP
properties in the securities are unable to be edited and are simply not able
to activate an FTP session. I have also attempted to use IE to FTP into my
directory on the server again to no avail. I am able to share files and
connect to my remote server but no FTP. I'm stumped.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:A4105A9A-F981-4CD1-A160-C307BDD070BE@microsoft.com,
> juuls <juuls@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > I am attempting to turn off the firewall in the security properties
> > in Win XP home. I can tick the Off on the General config tab and
> > click OK but apparently that is not allowing the firewall to be
> > disabled. I still see the radio button colored green and set to "On"
> > and Windows is not notifying me that I may be at risk as it should do
> > if the firewall is off. I'm unable to connect my FTP client to my
> > personal webspace on the server at my local ISP and I'm thinking the
> > firewall is the problem. How can I turn it off?
>
> Enable PASV or passive support in your FTP client. Disabling your firewall
> isn't usually the best solution. (I'm not sure why you're unable to turn it
> off, perhaps you have installed some sort of protection software that is
> preventing you from doing so?)
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 18, 2005 4:07:33 PM

juuls wrote:

> "Jack" wrote:
>
>> If conventional turning it off does not work try and stop the ICF
>> service through Services snap-in MMC.
>
> Can you please explain how to do this? I've again tried to turn off the
> firewall though conventional methods. I also noted that within the security
> properties the port settings for an FTP to use are "unavailable" to adjust.
> I cannot understand what might be causing either of these issues.
Hi,

To completely disable the firewall, you can do this:

Start/Run ==> services.msc

Find "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" in the list.

Double click on it. Pres the Stop button if it have status Started.

Then select Disabled in the Startup type drop down list. Press OK.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
a b 8 Security
May 18, 2005 4:07:34 PM

HUGE thank you Torgeir!!! I did as you suggested and my FTP client is runing
with flying colors. I can access my server as well as my personal webspace
again. AWESOME!!!

!