long load times hl2

Have p4 3.2, 1 gig of ram and Radeon 9800 Pro. Suffering from very long in
game load times, talking 30 seconds. Once scene loads the game runs smooth
and fast, no other apps running ,no problems with any other current games.
Doom 3, Far Cry and the like. Any help will be appreciated.

Alan
10 answers Last reply
More about long load times

    We are talking within the game, right? Open a door to a new area wait 25
    sec?
    "Alan" <bluekat2583@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Have p4 3.2, 1 gig of ram and Radeon 9800 Pro. Suffering from very long in
    > game load times, talking 30 seconds. Once scene loads the game runs smooth
    > and fast, no other apps running ,no problems with any other current games.
    > Doom 3, Far Cry and the like. Any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Alan

    This is not Doom that installed from 4 floppies... It's loading HUGH
    files... My rig is similar P4 3.0 1 gig of DDR3200 and A 9800 XT...
    Takes about the same amount of time...

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:30:37 -0500, "Alan" <bluekat2583@bellsouth.net>
    wrote:

    >Have p4 3.2, 1 gig of ram and Radeon 9800 Pro. Suffering from very long in
    >game load times, talking 30 seconds. Once scene loads the game runs smooth
    >and fast, no other apps running ,no problems with any other current games.
    >Doom 3, Far Cry and the like. Any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Alan

    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
    the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
    and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
    sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
    the other, between the legs of a hot lady, body
    thoroughly used up, totally worn out,and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

    I didn't compose this but I love it!!!

    Alan wrote:
    > We are talking within the game, right? Open a door to a new area wait
    25
    > sec?

    Little message "Loading" appears on the screen? Yup.

    About 30 secs sounds right on my AMD64 3400, 9800XT, 1gb RAM. Just
    enough time to grab a drink and flex my fingers. Quite useful actually.

    "Alan" <bluekat2583@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Have p4 3.2, 1 gig of ram and Radeon 9800 Pro. Suffering from very long in
    > game load times, talking 30 seconds. Once scene loads the game runs smooth
    > and fast, no other apps running ,no problems with any other current games.
    > Doom 3, Far Cry and the like. Any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Alan

    My wait time is about 45 secs. I;m about to slap another 512 of Ram in
    there.

    "Alan" <bluekat2583@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Have p4 3.2, 1 gig of ram and Radeon 9800 Pro. Suffering from very long in
    > game load times, talking 30 seconds. Once scene loads the game runs smooth
    > and fast, no other apps running ,no problems with any other current games.
    > Doom 3, Far Cry and the like. Any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Alan

    As others have said thats normal. I'm about 25 seconds (depending on which
    level area) on my A64 3400+, 1gig, 6800GT. Its a downside to the game, but
    there are no cut scenes in half life

    Its normal. Big levels take time to load. Limiting factor of loading is
    your hard drive speed, if you want it faster, you'll need a RAID array.
    Not that it matters, since 30 seconds isn't exactly a huge loading time.

    Civilian_Target

    <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Alan wrote:
    >> We are talking within the game, right? Open a door to a new area wait
    > 25
    >> sec?
    >
    > Little message "Loading" appears on the screen? Yup.
    >
    > About 30 secs sounds right on my AMD64 3400, 9800XT, 1gb RAM. Just
    > enough time to grab a drink and flex my fingers. Quite useful actually.

    You seem to have the same setup as me....but I don't think it takes 30
    sec....maybe 15-20...

    Could be the SATA or something...but I guess you have it too if your mobo
    supports it....

    Thanks for all the replies,as long as I know its not me
    "Alan" <bluekat2583@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Have p4 3.2, 1 gig of ram and Radeon 9800 Pro. Suffering from very long in
    > game load times, talking 30 seconds. Once scene loads the game runs smooth
    > and fast, no other apps running ,no problems with any other current games.
    > Doom 3, Far Cry and the like. Any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Alan

    Oh it's you alright.. You're the one causing the rest of us to have
    the problem... Have you no shame man???

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:44:20 -0500, "Alan" <bluekat2583@bellsouth.net>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for all the replies,as long as I know its not me

    >"Alan" <bluekat2583@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >> Have p4 3.2, 1 gig of ram and Radeon 9800 Pro. Suffering from very long in
    >> game load times, talking 30 seconds. Once scene loads the game runs smooth
    >> and fast, no other apps running ,no problems with any other current games.
    >> Doom 3, Far Cry and the like. Any help will be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Alan

    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
    the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
    and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
    sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
    the other, between the legs of a hot lady, body
    thoroughly used up, totally worn out,and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

    I didn't compose this but I love it!!!

    it is the game.....it preloads everything so ingame play is fast and
    smoothe....i have dual 3.2's and 3gig ram and it is the only game that
    appears to be slow loading.

    > We are talking within the game, right? Open a door to a new area wait 25
    > sec?
    > "Alan" <bluekat2583@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >> Have p4 3.2, 1 gig of ram and Radeon 9800 Pro. Suffering from very long
    >> in game load times, talking 30 seconds. Once scene loads the game runs
    >> smooth and fast, no other apps running ,no problems with any other
    >> current games. Doom 3, Far Cry and the like. Any help will be
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> Alan

Games Video Games