long load times hl2

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 27, 2005 9:30:37 PM

Have p4 3.2, 1 gig of ram and Radeon 9800 Pro. Suffering from very long in
game load times, talking 30 seconds. Once scene loads the game runs smooth
and fast, no other apps running ,no problems with any other current games.
Doom 3, Far Cry and the like. Any help will be appreciated.

Alan

More about : long load times hl2

January 28, 2005 12:44:45 AM

We are talking within the game, right? Open a door to a new area wait 25
sec?
"Alan" <bluekat2583@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:D PeKd.23798$ky2.11038@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> Have p4 3.2, 1 gig of ram and Radeon 9800 Pro. Suffering from very long in
> game load times, talking 30 seconds. Once scene loads the game runs smooth
> and fast, no other apps running ,no problems with any other current games.
> Doom 3, Far Cry and the like. Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Alan

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 2:38:48 AM

This is not Doom that installed from 4 floppies... It's loading HUGH
files... My rig is similar P4 3.0 1 gig of DDR3200 and A 9800 XT...
Takes about the same amount of time...

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:30:37 -0500, "Alan" <bluekat2583@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>Have p4 3.2, 1 gig of ram and Radeon 9800 Pro. Suffering from very long in
>game load times, talking 30 seconds. Once scene loads the game runs smooth
>and fast, no other apps running ,no problems with any other current games.
>Doom 3, Far Cry and the like. Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Alan

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, between the legs of a hot lady, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out,and screaming
WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

I didn't compose this but I love it!!!
January 28, 2005 4:50:57 AM

Alan wrote:
> We are talking within the game, right? Open a door to a new area wait
25
> sec?

Little message "Loading" appears on the screen? Yup.

About 30 secs sounds right on my AMD64 3400, 9800XT, 1gb RAM. Just
enough time to grab a drink and flex my fingers. Quite useful actually.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 9:05:52 AM

"Alan" <bluekat2583@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:D PeKd.23798$ky2.11038@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> Have p4 3.2, 1 gig of ram and Radeon 9800 Pro. Suffering from very long in
> game load times, talking 30 seconds. Once scene loads the game runs smooth
> and fast, no other apps running ,no problems with any other current games.
> Doom 3, Far Cry and the like. Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Alan

My wait time is about 45 secs. I;m about to slap another 512 of Ram in
there.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:02:09 PM

"Alan" <bluekat2583@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:D PeKd.23798$ky2.11038@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> Have p4 3.2, 1 gig of ram and Radeon 9800 Pro. Suffering from very long in
> game load times, talking 30 seconds. Once scene loads the game runs smooth
> and fast, no other apps running ,no problems with any other current games.
> Doom 3, Far Cry and the like. Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Alan

As others have said thats normal. I'm about 25 seconds (depending on which
level area) on my A64 3400+, 1gig, 6800GT. Its a downside to the game, but
there are no cut scenes in half life

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 2:24:40 PM

Its normal. Big levels take time to load. Limiting factor of loading is
your hard drive speed, if you want it faster, you'll need a RAID array.
Not that it matters, since 30 seconds isn't exactly a huge loading time.

Civilian_Target

Alan wrote:
> Have p4 3.2, 1 gig of ram and Radeon 9800 Pro. Suffering from very long in
> game load times, talking 30 seconds. Once scene loads the game runs smooth
> and fast, no other apps running ,no problems with any other current games.
> Doom 3, Far Cry and the like. Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Alan

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 2:34:29 PM

<chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Alan wrote:
>> We are talking within the game, right? Open a door to a new area wait
> 25
>> sec?
>
> Little message "Loading" appears on the screen? Yup.
>
> About 30 secs sounds right on my AMD64 3400, 9800XT, 1gb RAM. Just
> enough time to grab a drink and flex my fingers. Quite useful actually.

You seem to have the same setup as me....but I don't think it takes 30
sec....maybe 15-20...

Could be the SATA or something...but I guess you have it too if your mobo
supports it....
January 28, 2005 3:44:20 PM

Thanks for all the replies,as long as I know its not me
"Alan" <bluekat2583@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:D PeKd.23798$ky2.11038@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> Have p4 3.2, 1 gig of ram and Radeon 9800 Pro. Suffering from very long in
> game load times, talking 30 seconds. Once scene loads the game runs smooth
> and fast, no other apps running ,no problems with any other current games.
> Doom 3, Far Cry and the like. Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Alan

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 2:22:23 AM

Oh it's you alright.. You're the one causing the rest of us to have
the problem... Have you no shame man???

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:44:20 -0500, "Alan" <bluekat2583@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>Thanks for all the replies,as long as I know its not me

>"Alan" <bluekat2583@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>news:D PeKd.23798$ky2.11038@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>> Have p4 3.2, 1 gig of ram and Radeon 9800 Pro. Suffering from very long in
>> game load times, talking 30 seconds. Once scene loads the game runs smooth
>> and fast, no other apps running ,no problems with any other current games.
>> Doom 3, Far Cry and the like. Any help will be appreciated.
>>
>> Alan

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, between the legs of a hot lady, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out,and screaming
WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

I didn't compose this but I love it!!!
January 30, 2005 2:52:21 AM

it is the game.....it preloads everything so ingame play is fast and
smoothe....i have dual 3.2's and 3gig ram and it is the only game that
appears to be slow loading.

!