Trouble with Smart Media card

I have an Olympus digital camera which is about one year old. I also
have three 64 meg Smart Media cards, and several 8 meg cards.
I bought all three of the 64 meg cards about 6 to 8 months ago. They
all worked fine, and all my old 8 meg cards also worked fine on the
new camera.

All of a sudden, one of the 64 meg cards refuses to work in this
camera. I insert it, it tells me to format it, I do, and it says
"Card Error". Yet, this same card reads and writes perfectly on my
USB Media Reader hooked to my computer.

What the heck is going on? I even formatted this card on my computer,
soing a FULL Format. All three of these 64 meg cards are also the
same brand. I just do not understand this, particularly since it
worked prefectly the first 4 or 5 times I used it. Why did it
suddenly stop working, while all my other cards work on the camera,
and the card at "fault" works fine on my card reader.

Anyone have anny ideas?

Thanks
18 answers Last reply
More about trouble smart media card

    Your problem isn't entirely uncommon. Many of us Oly owners have had
    this problem. It occurs occasionally with my 2020z. First thing to do is
    apply contact cleaner to the card and move it in and out several times
    before attempting to access it. My problems have almost always been
    associated with dirty contacts in the camera or on the card. It sounds
    like the problem may be the card here, with the camera's contacts being
    a bit more sensitive than those on the reader. The next thing to do is
    run a 'Smart Media Olympus Problem' search of both Google and Google
    News and you will find many possible solutions for problems other than
    the contacts.

    me@myhome.com wrote:

    >I have an Olympus digital camera which is about one year old. I also
    >have three 64 meg Smart Media cards, and several 8 meg cards.
    >I bought all three of the 64 meg cards about 6 to 8 months ago. They
    >all worked fine, and all my old 8 meg cards also worked fine on the
    >new camera.
    >
    >All of a sudden, one of the 64 meg cards refuses to work in this
    >camera. I insert it, it tells me to format it, I do, and it says
    >"Card Error". Yet, this same card reads and writes perfectly on my
    >USB Media Reader hooked to my computer.
    >
    >What the heck is going on? I even formatted this card on my computer,
    >soing a FULL Format. All three of these 64 meg cards are also the
    >same brand. I just do not understand this, particularly since it
    >worked prefectly the first 4 or 5 times I used it. Why did it
    >suddenly stop working, while all my other cards work on the camera,
    >and the card at "fault" works fine on my card reader.
    >
    >Anyone have anny ideas?
    >
    >Thanks

    Thanks for the advice. I'll do as you said. One question though is
    what to use for contact cleaner? Just plain rubbing alcohol, or is
    there something else?

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:19:49 -0400, Ron G <rgood@netzero.com> wrote:

    >Your problem isn't entirely uncommon. Many of us Oly owners have had
    >this problem. It occurs occasionally with my 2020z. First thing to do is
    >apply contact cleaner to the card and move it in and out several times
    >before attempting to access it. My problems have almost always been
    >associated with dirty contacts in the camera or on the card. It sounds
    >like the problem may be the card here, with the camera's contacts being
    >a bit more sensitive than those on the reader. The next thing to do is
    >run a 'Smart Media Olympus Problem' search of both Google and Google
    >News and you will find many possible solutions for problems other than
    >the contacts.
    >
    >me@myhome.com wrote:
    >
    >>I have an Olympus digital camera which is about one year old. I also
    >>have three 64 meg Smart Media cards, and several 8 meg cards.
    >>I bought all three of the 64 meg cards about 6 to 8 months ago. They
    >>all worked fine, and all my old 8 meg cards also worked fine on the
    >>new camera.
    >>
    >>All of a sudden, one of the 64 meg cards refuses to work in this
    >>camera. I insert it, it tells me to format it, I do, and it says
    >>"Card Error". Yet, this same card reads and writes perfectly on my
    >>USB Media Reader hooked to my computer.
    >>
    >>What the heck is going on? I even formatted this card on my computer,
    >>soing a FULL Format. All three of these 64 meg cards are also the
    >>same brand. I just do not understand this, particularly since it
    >>worked prefectly the first 4 or 5 times I used it. Why did it
    >>suddenly stop working, while all my other cards work on the camera,
    >>and the card at "fault" works fine on my card reader.
    >>
    >>Anyone have anny ideas?
    >>
    >>Thanks

    Isopropol alcohol is ok. I got an electrical contact cleaner from Radio
    Shack. Advantage of liquid is that it will clean contacts in camera as
    you move card in and out. I suppose if you're on the road and stuck
    without a pencil you could use some of the very good vodka you can use
    to drown your sorrows... :-) Let us know what happens. And good luck.

    me@myhome.com wrote:

    > Thanks for the advice. I'll do as you said. One question though is
    > what to use for contact cleaner? Just plain rubbing alcohol, or is
    > there something else?
    >

    > On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:19:49 -0400, Ron G <rgood@netzero.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Your problem isn't entirely uncommon. Many of us Oly owners have had
    >>this problem. It occurs occasionally with my 2020z. First thing to do is
    >>apply contact cleaner to the card and move it in and out several times
    >>before attempting to access it. My problems have almost always been
    >>associated with dirty contacts in the camera or on the card. It sounds
    >>like the problem may be the card here, with the camera's contacts being
    >>a bit more sensitive than those on the reader. The next thing to do is
    >>run a 'Smart Media Olympus Problem' search of both Google and Google
    >>News and you will find many possible solutions for problems other than
    >>the contacts.
    >>
    >>me@myhome.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have an Olympus digital camera which is about one year old. I also
    >>>have three 64 meg Smart Media cards, and several 8 meg cards.
    >>>I bought all three of the 64 meg cards about 6 to 8 months ago. They
    >>>all worked fine, and all my old 8 meg cards also worked fine on the
    >>>new camera.
    >>>
    >>>All of a sudden, one of the 64 meg cards refuses to work in this
    >>>camera. I insert it, it tells me to format it, I do, and it says
    >>>"Card Error". Yet, this same card reads and writes perfectly on my
    >>>USB Media Reader hooked to my computer.
    >>>
    >>>What the heck is going on? I even formatted this card on my computer,
    >>>soing a FULL Format. All three of these 64 meg cards are also the
    >>>same brand. I just do not understand this, particularly since it
    >>>worked prefectly the first 4 or 5 times I used it. Why did it
    >>>suddenly stop working, while all my other cards work on the camera,
    >>>and the card at "fault" works fine on my card reader.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone have anny ideas?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    I cleaned the card contacts with alcohol, then a pencil erasor. I
    cleaned the contacts AGAIN with alcohol. The Card is trash....

    I looked on the web and found articles that say to format the card
    with FAT, not FAT32. In Win98SE there are no options for this. Then
    it said on the web that I need some utility that can be downloaded. I
    did follow the link and was taken to a website where they want $49.95
    for the utility. Forget that, I can get a new 64M card for half that
    price, and if this utility dont work, I blew 50 bucks and still got a
    bad card.

    I guess it's time to trash this card.

    I'll spend the $50 on some vodka. :)

    After this, I am really turned off to digital photography. I got into
    this to save money on film developing, but when a card only lasts 6
    months and takes a maximum of 150 or so pictures, there is no real
    savings, not to mention I lost some great photos. Guess it's time to
    dig the old 35 MM Film camera out of the closet, and toss the digital
    camera on Ebay

    Thanks to all.

    ------------------------

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:09:14 -0400, Ron G <rgood@netzero.com> wrote:

    >Isopropol alcohol is ok. I got an electrical contact cleaner from Radio
    >Shack. Advantage of liquid is that it will clean contacts in camera as
    >you move card in and out. I suppose if you're on the road and stuck
    >without a pencil you could use some of the very good vodka you can use
    >to drown your sorrows... :-) Let us know what happens. And good luck.
    >
    >me@myhome.com wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the advice. I'll do as you said. One question though is
    >> what to use for contact cleaner? Just plain rubbing alcohol, or is
    >> there something else?
    >>

    >> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:19:49 -0400, Ron G <rgood@netzero.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Your problem isn't entirely uncommon. Many of us Oly owners have had
    >>>this problem. It occurs occasionally with my 2020z. First thing to do is
    >>>apply contact cleaner to the card and move it in and out several times
    >>>before attempting to access it. My problems have almost always been
    >>>associated with dirty contacts in the camera or on the card. It sounds
    >>>like the problem may be the card here, with the camera's contacts being
    >>>a bit more sensitive than those on the reader. The next thing to do is
    >>>run a 'Smart Media Olympus Problem' search of both Google and Google
    >>>News and you will find many possible solutions for problems other than
    >>>the contacts.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Use a plain pencil eraser (works very well)
    <me@myhome.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the advice. I'll do as you said. One question though is
    > what to use for contact cleaner? Just plain rubbing alcohol, or is
    > there something else?
    >

    > On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:19:49 -0400, Ron G <rgood@netzero.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Your problem isn't entirely uncommon. Many of us Oly owners have had
    > >this problem. It occurs occasionally with my 2020z. First thing to do is
    > >apply contact cleaner to the card and move it in and out several times
    > >before attempting to access it. My problems have almost always been
    > >associated with dirty contacts in the camera or on the card. It sounds
    > >like the problem may be the card here, with the camera's contacts being
    > >a bit more sensitive than those on the reader. The next thing to do is
    > >run a 'Smart Media Olympus Problem' search of both Google and Google
    > >News and you will find many possible solutions for problems other than
    > >the contacts.
    > >
    > >me@myhome.com wrote:
    > >
    > >>I have an Olympus digital camera which is about one year old. I also
    > >>have three 64 meg Smart Media cards, and several 8 meg cards.
    > >>I bought all three of the 64 meg cards about 6 to 8 months ago. They
    > >>all worked fine, and all my old 8 meg cards also worked fine on the
    > >>new camera.
    > >>
    > >>All of a sudden, one of the 64 meg cards refuses to work in this
    > >>camera. I insert it, it tells me to format it, I do, and it says
    > >>"Card Error". Yet, this same card reads and writes perfectly on my
    > >>USB Media Reader hooked to my computer.
    > >>
    > >>What the heck is going on? I even formatted this card on my computer,
    > >>soing a FULL Format. All three of these 64 meg cards are also the
    > >>same brand. I just do not understand this, particularly since it
    > >>worked prefectly the first 4 or 5 times I used it. Why did it
    > >>suddenly stop working, while all my other cards work on the camera,
    > >>and the card at "fault" works fine on my card reader.
    > >>
    > >>Anyone have anny ideas?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Sorry nothing has worked so far. You might take the card to a Ritz or
    another store that has Fuji cameras. Try reformatting the card in one of
    them and see what happens. I've heard of this being successful. It's
    entirely possible that your SM card has simply ended its life. Don't let
    this bum you out about digital photography. I should tell you that a
    couple of years ago I lost an SM card this way, though it was only an 8
    meg one. Since then I have been careful to keep contacts clean and every
    so often reformat my cards in the camera. No serious problems since
    then. I don't have precise numbers about the economics but I'm sure I'm
    way ahead of the game with digital photography. Drink the vodka, take
    some deep breaths and go back at it!

    me@myhome.com wrote:

    >I cleaned the card contacts with alcohol, then a pencil erasor. I
    >cleaned the contacts AGAIN with alcohol. The Card is trash....
    >
    >I looked on the web and found articles that say to format the card
    >with FAT, not FAT32. In Win98SE there are no options for this. Then
    >it said on the web that I need some utility that can be downloaded. I
    >did follow the link and was taken to a website where they want $49.95
    >for the utility. Forget that, I can get a new 64M card for half that
    >price, and if this utility dont work, I blew 50 bucks and still got a
    >bad card.
    >
    >I guess it's time to trash this card.
    >
    >I'll spend the $50 on some vodka. :)
    >
    >After this, I am really turned off to digital photography. I got into
    >this to save money on film developing, but when a card only lasts 6
    >months and takes a maximum of 150 or so pictures, there is no real
    >savings, not to mention I lost some great photos. Guess it's time to
    >dig the old 35 MM Film camera out of the closet, and toss the digital
    >camera on Ebay
    >
    >Thanks to all.
    >
    >------------------------
    >

    >On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:09:14 -0400, Ron G <rgood@netzero.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Isopropol alcohol is ok. I got an electrical contact cleaner from Radio
    >>Shack. Advantage of liquid is that it will clean contacts in camera as
    >>you move card in and out. I suppose if you're on the road and stuck
    >>without a pencil you could use some of the very good vodka you can use
    >>to drown your sorrows... :-) Let us know what happens. And good luck.
    >>
    >>me@myhome.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>Thanks for the advice. I'll do as you said. One question though is
    >>>what to use for contact cleaner? Just plain rubbing alcohol, or is
    >>>there something else?

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Thanks Ron

    I just emailed SanDisk, the manufactuirer of the card to find out what
    sort of warranty they have. I did not get what I would consider my
    moneys worth out of this card, so I will see what they say. I might
    try what you said, but I am out in the boonies of rural America, and
    there isn't much here. The nearest place that "might" be able to do
    that is several hours away in the nearest city. Well, I dont have any
    Vodka on hand, but I got beer. I think it's time for one !!!!!

    ----

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:16:12 -0400, Ron G <rgood@netzero.com> wrote:

    >Sorry nothing has worked so far. You might take the card to a Ritz or
    >another store that has Fuji cameras. Try reformatting the card in one of
    >them and see what happens. I've heard of this being successful. It's
    >entirely possible that your SM card has simply ended its life. Don't let
    >this bum you out about digital photography. I should tell you that a
    >couple of years ago I lost an SM card this way, though it was only an 8
    >meg one. Since then I have been careful to keep contacts clean and every
    >so often reformat my cards in the camera. No serious problems since
    >then. I don't have precise numbers about the economics but I'm sure I'm
    >way ahead of the game with digital photography. Drink the vodka, take
    >some deep breaths and go back at it!
    >
    >me@myhome.com wrote:
    >
    >>I cleaned the card contacts with alcohol, then a pencil erasor. I
    >>cleaned the contacts AGAIN with alcohol. The Card is trash....
    >>
    >>I looked on the web and found articles that say to format the card
    >>with FAT, not FAT32. In Win98SE there are no options for this. Then
    >>it said on the web that I need some utility that can be downloaded. I
    >>did follow the link and was taken to a website where they want $49.95
    >>for the utility. Forget that, I can get a new 64M card for half that
    >>price, and if this utility dont work, I blew 50 bucks and still got a
    >>bad card.
    >>
    >>I guess it's time to trash this card.
    >>
    >>I'll spend the $50 on some vodka. :)
    >>
    >>After this, I am really turned off to digital photography. I got into
    >>this to save money on film developing, but when a card only lasts 6
    >>months and takes a maximum of 150 or so pictures, there is no real
    >>savings, not to mention I lost some great photos. Guess it's time to
    >>dig the old 35 MM Film camera out of the closet, and toss the digital
    >>camera on Ebay
    >>
    >>Thanks to all.
    >>
    >>------------------------
    >>

    >>On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:09:14 -0400, Ron G <rgood@netzero.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Isopropol alcohol is ok. I got an electrical contact cleaner from Radio
    >>>Shack. Advantage of liquid is that it will clean contacts in camera as
    >>>you move card in and out. I suppose if you're on the road and stuck
    >>>without a pencil you could use some of the very good vodka you can use
    >>>to drown your sorrows... :-) Let us know what happens. And good luck.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Just found this site. Might be worth ten bucks.

    http://www.marshost.com/~rashmun/

    /r

    me@myhome.com wrote:

    >Thanks Ron
    >
    >I just emailed SanDisk, the manufactuirer of the card to find out what
    >sort of warranty they have. I did not get what I would consider my
    >moneys worth out of this card, so I will see what they say. I might
    >try what you said, but I am out in the boonies of rural America, and
    >there isn't much here. The nearest place that "might" be able to do
    >that is several hours away in the nearest city. Well, I dont have any
    >Vodka on hand, but I got beer. I think it's time for one !!!!!
    >
    >----
    >

    >On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:16:12 -0400, Ron G <rgood@netzero.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Sorry nothing has worked so far. You might take the card to a Ritz or
    >>another store that has Fuji cameras. Try reformatting the card in one of
    >>them and see what happens. I've heard of this being successful. It's
    >>entirely possible that your SM card has simply ended its life. Don't let
    >>this bum you out about digital photography. I should tell you that a
    >>couple of years ago I lost an SM card this way, though it was only an 8
    >>meg one. Since then I have been careful to keep contacts clean and every
    >>so often reformat my cards in the camera. No serious problems since
    >>then. I don't have precise numbers about the economics but I'm sure I'm
    >>way ahead of the game with digital photography. Drink the vodka, take
    >>some deep breaths and go back at it!
    >>
    >>me@myhome.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>I cleaned the card contacts with alcohol, then a pencil erasor. I
    >>>cleaned the contacts AGAIN with alcohol. The Card is trash....
    >>>
    >>>I looked on the web and found articles that say to format the card
    >>>with FAT, not FAT32. In Win98SE there are no options for this. Then
    >>>it said on the web that I need some utility that can be downloaded. I
    >>>did follow the link and was taken to a website where they want $49.95
    >>>for the utility. Forget that, I can get a new 64M card for half that
    >>>price, and if this utility dont work, I blew 50 bucks and still got a
    >>>bad card.
    >>>
    >>>I guess it's time to trash this card.
    >>>
    >>>I'll spend the $50 on some vodka. :)
    >>>
    >>>After this, I am really turned off to digital photography. I got into
    >>>this to save money on film developing, but when a card only lasts 6
    >>>months and takes a maximum of 150 or so pictures, there is no real
    >>>savings, not to mention I lost some great photos. Guess it's time to
    >>>dig the old 35 MM Film camera out of the closet, and toss the digital
    >>>camera on Ebay
    >>>
    >>>Thanks to all.
    >>>
    >>>------------------------

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Sandisk's standard warranty on Media is 5 years.

    > Thanks Ron
    >
    > I just emailed SanDisk, the manufactuirer of the card to find out what
    > sort of warranty they have. I did not get what I would consider my
    > moneys worth out of this card, so I will see what they say. I might
    > try what you said, but I am out in the boonies of rural America, and
    > there isn't much here. The nearest place that "might" be able to do
    > that is several hours away in the nearest city. Well, I dont have any
    > Vodka on hand, but I got beer. I think it's time for one !!!!!
    >
    > ----
    >

    > On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:16:12 -0400, Ron G <rgood@netzero.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Sorry nothing has worked so far. You might take the card to a Ritz or
    > >another store that has Fuji cameras. Try reformatting the card in one of
    > >them and see what happens. I've heard of this being successful. It's
    > >entirely possible that your SM card has simply ended its life. Don't let
    > >this bum you out about digital photography. I should tell you that a
    > >couple of years ago I lost an SM card this way, though it was only an 8
    > >meg one. Since then I have been careful to keep contacts clean and every
    > >so often reformat my cards in the camera. No serious problems since
    > >then. I don't have precise numbers about the economics but I'm sure I'm
    > >way ahead of the game with digital photography. Drink the vodka, take
    > >some deep breaths and go back at it!
    > >
    > >me@myhome.com wrote:
    > >
    > >>I cleaned the card contacts with alcohol, then a pencil erasor. I
    > >>cleaned the contacts AGAIN with alcohol. The Card is trash....
    > >>
    > >>I looked on the web and found articles that say to format the card
    > >>with FAT, not FAT32. In Win98SE there are no options for this. Then
    > >>it said on the web that I need some utility that can be downloaded. I
    > >>did follow the link and was taken to a website where they want $49.95
    > >>for the utility. Forget that, I can get a new 64M card for half that
    > >>price, and if this utility dont work, I blew 50 bucks and still got a
    > >>bad card.
    > >>
    > >>I guess it's time to trash this card.
    > >>
    > >>I'll spend the $50 on some vodka. :)
    > >>
    > >>After this, I am really turned off to digital photography. I got into
    > >>this to save money on film developing, but when a card only lasts 6
    > >>months and takes a maximum of 150 or so pictures, there is no real
    > >>savings, not to mention I lost some great photos. Guess it's time to
    > >>dig the old 35 MM Film camera out of the closet, and toss the digital
    > >>camera on Ebay
    > >>
    > >>Thanks to all.
    > >>
    > >>------------------------

    They

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:46:10 GMT, "C0mdrData"
    <C0mdrData@NOSPAMfrontiernet.net> wrote:

    >Sandisk's standard warranty on Media is 5 years.

    Great, I only had this card a maximum of 9 months. I have three of
    them, so I am not sure which is which, I bought them all 6 to 9
    months ago.

    THANKS

    ><me@myhome.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Ron
    >>
    >> I just emailed SanDisk, the manufactuirer of the card to find out what
    >> sort of warranty they have. I did not get what I would consider my
    >> moneys worth out of this card, so I will see what they say. I might
    >> try what you said, but I am out in the boonies of rural America, and
    >> there isn't much here. The nearest place that "might" be able to do
    >> that is several hours away in the nearest city. Well, I dont have any
    >> Vodka on hand, but I got beer. I think it's time for one !!!!!
    >>
    >> ----
    >>

    >> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:16:12 -0400, Ron G <rgood@netzero.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Sorry nothing has worked so far. You might take the card to a Ritz or
    >> >another store that has Fuji cameras. Try reformatting the card in one of
    >> >them and see what happens. I've heard of this being successful. It's
    >> >entirely possible that your SM card has simply ended its life. Don't let
    >> >this bum you out about digital photography. I should tell you that a
    >> >couple of years ago I lost an SM card this way, though it was only an 8
    >> >meg one. Since then I have been careful to keep contacts clean and every
    >> >so often reformat my cards in the camera. No serious problems since
    >> >then. I don't have precise numbers about the economics but I'm sure I'm
    >> >way ahead of the game with digital photography. Drink the vodka, take
    >> >some deep breaths and go back at it!

    >is
    >times
    >sounds
    >being
    >is
    >than

    >also
    >They

    >computer,

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    We used erasers on computer cards with similar contacts when I was in
    the service.
    That isn't going to help the internal connections in the camera though.
    add a little contact cleaner to the camera card after erasing and
    quickly insert it in the camera several times.

    >Thanks for the advice. I'll do as you said. One question though is what
    to use for contact cleaner? Just plain rubbing alcohol, or is there
    something else?

    http://community-2.webtv.net/GEOH/FKEYS/
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    There is still a use for your camera card.
    You can use it to transfer information from computer to computer using
    the card reader.
    Also you can recover the pictures using DIR (digital image recovery) or
    try this new one I found.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

    Never Format a camera card on a computer.!!!!!

    http://community-2.webtv.net/GEOH/FKEYS/
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:46:10 GMT, "C0mdrData"
    <C0mdrData@NOSPAMfrontiernet.net> was understood to have stated the
    following:

    >Sandisk's standard warranty on Media is 5 years.

    I'm wondering if it's worth anything, though....

    A friend of mine purchased a Panasonic DMC-FZ10K, which came with a
    (useless) 16mb Panasonic SD card; he also purchased a SanDisc Ultra
    128mb or 256mb card at the same time. Given that at the time I was in
    the market for a digital camera, I already had a 256mb Panasonic SD
    card for my Palm Tungsten T3 (for a month or so), and I was pleased
    with the image quality and features of his camera, I purchased the
    same model camera. Given that I can buy Panasonic SD media from
    Wal-Mart (sorry), I declined to purchase a SanDisc SD card from the
    site I purchased my camera. Given how much I enjoy my digital camera
    and how many shots I take, I've subsequently purchased two more 256mb
    Panasonic SD cards. As the volume label is important to some of the
    software I run on my PDA, I format my cards in the PDA so I can assign
    a volume label.

    Within 2 weeks of my friend's purchase, he brings the SanDisc card to
    me to see if I can do anything with it, as he can no longer do
    anything with it in regards to his camera or his XP based PC. We're
    not surprised in the least that my PDA can't do anything with the card
    either; it's useless.

    The irony of this is that I have 4 Panasonic SD cards (3 256mb & 1
    16mb) that I shuffle around constantly; after shooting I'll typically
    swap the card that's in my PDA with the one that's in the camera, as
    the Palm's 320x480 display makes a better viewing display (IMO) than
    whatever is built in to the camera. I also store various program and
    data files for my PDA on the cards, as well as program and data files
    for Windows. I keep one 256mb card in a JumpDrive Trio, one in the
    camera, and one in the PDA. As stated, the cards are shuffled, so no
    particular card is used primarily for any device, so a mixture of OS's
    (Palm OS, Windows-XP/98SE, and the Panasonic camera) are reading and
    writing to these cards regularly and randomly. So far, there has been
    no glitch. Granted, 2 of the Panasonic cards are a few weeks younger
    than the SanDisc card in question, but one of the Panasonic cards is a
    month or two older. Plus, my Panasonic cards are used *much* more
    frequently, and for far more purposes (documents, mirrored web sites,
    photos, MP3s), than his SanDisc card, which is used only by his
    digital camera and his PC when he was moving the image files off the
    card.

    I don't know the similarities between CF and SD, but given my
    observations, I'm thinking it's much more likely that SanDisc media
    purchasers will need the 5 year warranty. Based on this, I think I'll
    be sticking with Panasonic media.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Sandisk did contact me by email today, and I had to answer some
    questions, so I'll see what happens.

    I also want to mention that I prefer smaller cards, such as 32 meg
    size, rather than getting larger ones. The reason being that if I have
    four 32 meg cards, and one 32 meg card fails, I lose about 40
    pictures, but still got 120 on my other three cards. If one 128 meg
    card fails, I lose ALL my pictures, including a significant amount of
    money for the cost of the card. Sure I got to swap cards more often,
    but that is not such a big deal. I hesitated to even buy the 64 meg
    size, but the 32's are no longer easy to find. I NEVER had any
    problems with 8 meg cards, which was the largest size card my original
    camera could use. I still use them if I fill my bigger cards. I tend
    to wonder if the bigger cards are just too fragile, because so much
    has to be stuffed into the same space that a used to only hold 8 megs.

    ----

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:24:25 -0400, "David W. Poole, Jr."
    <DeadSpammersAreGoodSpammers.20.dwpj65@spamgourmet.com> wrote:

    >On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:46:10 GMT, "C0mdrData"
    ><C0mdrData@NOSPAMfrontiernet.net> was understood to have stated the
    >following:
    >
    >>Sandisk's standard warranty on Media is 5 years.
    >
    >I'm wondering if it's worth anything, though....
    >
    >A friend of mine purchased a Panasonic DMC-FZ10K, which came with a
    >(useless) 16mb Panasonic SD card; he also purchased a SanDisc Ultra
    >128mb or 256mb card at the same time. Given that at the time I was in
    >the market for a digital camera, I already had a 256mb Panasonic SD
    >card for my Palm Tungsten T3 (for a month or so), and I was pleased
    >with the image quality and features of his camera, I purchased the
    >same model camera. Given that I can buy Panasonic SD media from
    >Wal-Mart (sorry), I declined to purchase a SanDisc SD card from the
    >site I purchased my camera. Given how much I enjoy my digital camera
    >and how many shots I take, I've subsequently purchased two more 256mb
    >Panasonic SD cards. As the volume label is important to some of the
    >software I run on my PDA, I format my cards in the PDA so I can assign
    >a volume label.
    >
    >Within 2 weeks of my friend's purchase, he brings the SanDisc card to
    >me to see if I can do anything with it, as he can no longer do
    >anything with it in regards to his camera or his XP based PC. We're
    >not surprised in the least that my PDA can't do anything with the card
    >either; it's useless.
    >
    >The irony of this is that I have 4 Panasonic SD cards (3 256mb & 1
    >16mb) that I shuffle around constantly; after shooting I'll typically
    >swap the card that's in my PDA with the one that's in the camera, as
    >the Palm's 320x480 display makes a better viewing display (IMO) than
    >whatever is built in to the camera. I also store various program and
    >data files for my PDA on the cards, as well as program and data files
    >for Windows. I keep one 256mb card in a JumpDrive Trio, one in the
    >camera, and one in the PDA. As stated, the cards are shuffled, so no
    >particular card is used primarily for any device, so a mixture of OS's
    >(Palm OS, Windows-XP/98SE, and the Panasonic camera) are reading and
    >writing to these cards regularly and randomly. So far, there has been
    >no glitch. Granted, 2 of the Panasonic cards are a few weeks younger
    >than the SanDisc card in question, but one of the Panasonic cards is a
    >month or two older. Plus, my Panasonic cards are used *much* more
    >frequently, and for far more purposes (documents, mirrored web sites,
    >photos, MP3s), than his SanDisc card, which is used only by his
    >digital camera and his PC when he was moving the image files off the
    >card.
    >
    >I don't know the similarities between CF and SD, but given my
    >observations, I'm thinking it's much more likely that SanDisc media
    >purchasers will need the 5 year warranty. Based on this, I think I'll
    >be sticking with Panasonic media.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:25:03 -0500, me@myhome.com was understood to
    have stated the following:

    >Sandisk did contact me by email today, and I had to answer some
    >questions, so I'll see what happens.

    Please keep me informed; my friend will be following a similar
    procedure, if he hasn't already. He has been more concerned with an
    issue with his lawn more that developed at the same time to follow up
    on the replacement of his only decent sized card.

    >I also want to mention that I prefer smaller cards, such as 32 meg
    >size, rather than getting larger ones. The reason being that if I have
    >four 32 meg cards, and one 32 meg card fails, I lose about 40
    >pictures, but still got 120 on my other three cards. If one 128 meg
    >card fails, I lose ALL my pictures, including a significant amount of
    >money for the cost of the card. Sure I got to swap cards more often,
    >but that is not such a big deal. I hesitated to even buy the 64 meg
    >size, but the 32's are no longer easy to find. I NEVER had any
    >problems with 8 meg cards, which was the largest size card my original
    >camera could use. I still use them if I fill my bigger cards. I tend
    >to wonder if the bigger cards are just too fragile, because so much
    >has to be stuffed into the same space that a used to only hold 8 megs.

    My needs dictate larger cards, although if I lost one it wouldn't be
    that much of a loss. The cards are used for other purposes than just
    holding photographs between the time of their capture and the time of
    their off loading. MP3s, videos, documents, web sites or portions
    thereof, programs, previously off loaded and downsized photos, and
    what not are scattered across the cards, so the loss of one card isn't
    going to have that much of an impact on images. As I usually move the
    card from the camera to the PDA or the JumpDrive after I've taken a
    group of photos, the card that goes back into the camera is usually
    devoid of any images that aren't already backed up on a computer, CDs
    and/or DVDs somewhere. If I were to lose a card, unless it was in the
    camera at the time, I *might* lose a recent shooting session.

    But, a 16mb card came with the camera. Twice I've filled the
    256MBer(s) to the point where the 16mb was required. Each time I've
    purchased a 256MBer the following day. Of course, I was playing with
    burst and video modes at the time, and at present, I believe the
    desire to experiment with them has run it's course. I'm thinking that
    a disc based portable mass storage solution, like the ones posted
    earlier in this NG, is in short order.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    But you are also running a higher risk of losing some photos by using
    sets of smaller cards for one assignment because you are more likely to
    be removing, reinstalling, reading, etc. If you keep cards/contacts
    clean, do not format in computer, do not erase photos in computer, do
    not have cards in reader when re-booting, you will minimize problems
    enormously. Depending on what I expect to be doing and what resolution I
    expect I will choose to use, I will often use a 16 or 32 meg card rather
    than a 64 or 128, my theory being that IF something really goes wrong my
    costs will be lower. However, since practicing the above rules I have
    never had a problem and, in fact, the only card I ever lost was an 8meg
    one about three years ago. And I have never lost a photo. And this with
    a total of four SM-using Oly cameras. I would also add that I do often
    use my 8 or 16 meg cards for backing up data from my laptop on trips.
    When done I reformat them in my camera and find that they work perfectly
    well. So, from my general experience SM cards pose very, very few
    problems when used with care.

    /ron

    me@myhome.com wrote:

> [...]
    >>particular card is used primarily for any device, so a mixture of OS's
    >>(Palm OS, Windows-XP/98SE, and the Panasonic camera) are reading and
    >>writing to these cards regularly and randomly. So far, there has been
    >>no glitch. Granted, 2 of the Panasonic cards are a few weeks younger
    >>than the SanDisc card in question, but one of the Panasonic cards is a
    >>month or two older. Plus, my Panasonic cards are used *much* more
    >>frequently, and for far more purposes (documents, mirrored web sites,
    >>photos, MP3s), than his SanDisc card, which is used only by his
    >>digital camera and his PC when he was moving the image files off the
    >>card.
    >>
    >>I don't know the similarities between CF and SD, but given my
    >>observations, I'm thinking it's much more likely that SanDisc media
    >>purchasers will need the 5 year warranty. Based on this, I think I'll

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    I have one 128 MB Smart Media Card (plus the 16 MB'er that came with the camera,
    I never the use 16 MB'er anymore). I've taken 240 pictures in about 3 to 5 hours
    in a single day (1024 x 768), several times. I've probably taken 7000 pics these
    past 12 months. I always keep the card in the camera, and download to my
    computer at the end of the day.

    I may need a used laptop (I don't own one yet) if I go on vacations (I don't go
    on any yet), so I can download my pics to that. Now if I get a DV
    camcorder...the hard drive on that laptop better be large and the processor very
    FAST!

    I count on pictures to remind me of where I've been, because I may never be
    there again. Being a shutter bug gives me an excuse to be outside anyway...
    taking pictures.
  18. yeah now you got it a laptop, or your phone as mass storage , easy enuf to do with data cables ( one side to fit the cam the other to fit the phone, I even use my mp3 player too as well as my phone, so betwee en my mp3 phone & cam cards I get 3 1/2 gigs to use everyday, before I even try to plug into the laptop, then I use online storage just in case, like picasso,& wind live skydrive. My motto is use what ya got not buy more til it's broke , & only then if you can't fix it or refund it

Cameras Peripherals Product