Problem with Microsoft USB wireless device

Not that this is a big surprise, this piece of.....

I changed my network name and increased the WEP from 64 to 128, now the
computer that uses the USB wireless device is all messed up. I have the
MN5?? wireless 802.11b router and the matching USB wireless device.

If I go back to my main computer and display my SSID, then go back to the
computer with the USB device and UNinstall it, then reinstall it, it will
find the network and connect with "good" connection. Then I go back to my
main computer and not display my SSID and everything works, until I reboot
the computer using the wireless USB device.

I've uninstalled it, removed everything from my hard drive, but of course,
MS has decided not to allow me to remove the device info from the registry,
so every time I reinstall I have device (1), device (2), device (3) and now
device (4), all of which do not last past a single boot.

I can't use the device without the MS software because the device is only
set up for 40 & 104 bit WEP, only with the installed software can I activate
and use the 128 bit WEP on that computer.

I understand MS's need to own our computers so they can force us to continue
to with their products once we get started, but it would be nice if they
would provide me with a working device that will even 1/2 way do the trick.

Anyway, any suggestions on how to get rid of everything so that I might try
a clean install of the device and software would be helpful, or a suggestion
on how I get the device to continue to work without having to continuing to
reinstall it. Eventually I'm going to run out of device numbers.
Carol
13 answers Last reply
More about problem microsoft wireless device

    Hi Carol,
    Don't stop/hide the broadcast of the SSID on the base station.
    What operating system are you using? If XP you can use native WZC to
    configure the settings and don't have to run the MS Broadband Network
    Utilty.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb, I'm running XP on all computers. I don't know what native WZC is. I
    wanted to hide the SSID because I see other networks within reach and I'd
    just a soon they not know I'm here too.
    Carol

    "Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Carol,
    > Don't stop/hide the broadcast of the SSID on the base station.
    > What operating system are you using? If XP you can use native WZC to
    > configure the settings and don't have to run the MS Broadband Network
    > Utilty.
    >
    > On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:50:58 -0700, "Keppy" <keppy@msn.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Not that this is a big surprise, this piece of.....
    > >
    > >I changed my network name and increased the WEP from 64 to 128, now the
    > >computer that uses the USB wireless device is all messed up. I have the
    > >MN5?? wireless 802.11b router and the matching USB wireless device.
    > >
    > >If I go back to my main computer and display my SSID, then go back to the
    > >computer with the USB device and UNinstall it, then reinstall it, it will
    > >find the network and connect with "good" connection. Then I go back to my
    > >main computer and not display my SSID and everything works, until I
    reboot
    > >the computer using the wireless USB device.
    > >
    > >I've uninstalled it, removed everything from my hard drive, but of
    course,
    > >MS has decided not to allow me to remove the device info from the
    registry,
    > >so every time I reinstall I have device (1), device (2), device (3) and
    now
    > >device (4), all of which do not last past a single boot.
    > >
    > >I can't use the device without the MS software because the device is only
    > >set up for 40 & 104 bit WEP, only with the installed software can I
    activate
    > >and use the 128 bit WEP on that computer.
    > >
    > >I understand MS's need to own our computers so they can force us to
    continue
    > >to with their products once we get started, but it would be nice if they
    > >would provide me with a working device that will even 1/2 way do the
    trick.

    > >Anyway, any suggestions on how to get rid of everything so that I might
    try
    > >a clean install of the device and software would be helpful, or a
    suggestion
    > >on how I get the device to continue to work without having to continuing
    > >reinstall it. Eventually I'm going to run out of device numbers.
    > >Carol
    > >

    > --
    > Barb Bowman
    > Expert Zone Columnist
    > MS-MVP (Windows)

    OH... I tried to uninstall the software and set up the device using XP, but
    the device will only let me use 40 or 104 bit WEP. Only with the software
    can I get it to change over to 64/128. I tried it.
    Carol

    "Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Carol,
    > Don't stop/hide the broadcast of the SSID on the base station.
    > What operating system are you using? If XP you can use native WZC to
    > configure the settings and don't have to run the MS Broadband Network
    > Utilty.
    >
    > On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:50:58 -0700, "Keppy" <keppy@msn.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Not that this is a big surprise, this piece of.....
    > >
    > >I changed my network name and increased the WEP from 64 to 128, now the
    > >computer that uses the USB wireless device is all messed up. I have the
    > >MN5?? wireless 802.11b router and the matching USB wireless device.
    > >
    > >If I go back to my main computer and display my SSID, then go back to the
    > >computer with the USB device and UNinstall it, then reinstall it, it will
    > >find the network and connect with "good" connection. Then I go back to my
    > >main computer and not display my SSID and everything works, until I
    reboot
    > >the computer using the wireless USB device.
    > >
    > >I've uninstalled it, removed everything from my hard drive, but of
    course,
    > >MS has decided not to allow me to remove the device info from the
    registry,
    > >so every time I reinstall I have device (1), device (2), device (3) and
    now
    > >device (4), all of which do not last past a single boot.
    > >
    > >I can't use the device without the MS software because the device is only
    > >set up for 40 & 104 bit WEP, only with the installed software can I
    activate
    > >and use the 128 bit WEP on that computer.
    > >
    > >I understand MS's need to own our computers so they can force us to
    continue
    > >to with their products once we get started, but it would be nice if they
    > >would provide me with a working device that will even 1/2 way do the
    trick.

    > >Anyway, any suggestions on how to get rid of everything so that I might
    try
    > >a clean install of the device and software would be helpful, or a
    suggestion
    > >on how I get the device to continue to work without having to continuing
    > >reinstall it. Eventually I'm going to run out of device numbers.
    > >Carol
    > >

    > --
    > Barb Bowman
    > Expert Zone Columnist
    > MS-MVP (Windows)

    Carol,
    Hiding the SSID broadcast won't stop someone who is determined from
    sniffing out your network. Also, if you are hiding yours and someone
    else is broadcasting theirs, there are issues. See
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427

    I've written several columns about Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC)
    and there are some Cable Guy columns on the MS technet site as well
    that cover this. Here's one of mine that might help you
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/bowman/02december16.asp
    with your particular issue.

    Bottom line is don't use the Broadband Network Utility that ships with
    the USB wireless to configure your wireless settings. Use Windows XP.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Thanks Barb,
    I'm considering getting "g" router and USB adapter. My laptops are already
    equipped with b/g wireless capability. The only thing that's held me back is
    the fear that I'll have connection problems and not be able get everything
    working. I heard some real horror stories, but it will probably resolve the
    problem with the existing USB adapter I'm having the problem with. I've
    heard the firewall on the mn-700 is pretty good, but is it better and easier
    than the Linksys? AND I heard that MS is getting out of the networking
    hardware business. That would mean that they might not be supporting it just
    when I need the updates and support.

    I'm going to check out your articles on the pros and cons of broadcasting, I
    just thought that, as long as I'm harder to see, it makes me that much
    harder to get into. I'd change my WEP periodically, but with all the problem
    that is causing with the MS device, I'm leery to do so. The others were easy
    because I didn't need any special software, I could just change the settings
    on the wireless device settings.

    I heard that Costco carries the MN-700 and USB adapter, so I may give it a
    try.... reluctantly.

    Thanks for you input, I really appreciate it!!

    > Carol,
    > Hiding the SSID broadcast won't stop someone who is determined from
    > sniffing out your network. Also, if you are hiding yours and someone
    > else is broadcasting theirs, there are issues. See
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427
    >
    > I've written several columns about Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC)
    > and there are some Cable Guy columns on the MS technet site as well
    > that cover this. Here's one of mine that might help you

    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/bowman/02december16.asp
    > with your particular issue.
    >

    > Bottom line is don't use the Broadband Network Utility that ships with
    > the USB wireless to configure your wireless settings. Use Windows XP.
    >

    > On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 08:05:44 -0700, "Keppy" <keppy@msn.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Barb, I'm running XP on all computers. I don't know what native WZC is. I
    > >wanted to hide the SSID because I see other networks within reach and I'd
    > >just a soon they not know I'm here too.
    > >Carol
    > >
    > >"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi Carol,
    > >> Don't stop/hide the broadcast of the SSID on the base station.
    > >> What operating system are you using? If XP you can use native WZC to
    > >> configure the settings and don't have to run the MS Broadband Network
    > >> Utilty.

    > >reboot

    > >course,
    > >registry,
    and
    > >now

    > >activate

    > >continue
    > >trick.

    > >try
    > >suggestion
    > >> >

    > >> --
    > >> Barb Bowman
    > >> Expert Zone Columnist
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> MS-MVP (Windows)
    > >

    > --
    > Barb Bowman
    > Expert Zone Columnist
    > MS-MVP (Windows)

    Microsoft IS leaving the wifi network hardware business. They've
    stated there will be support for a while but if you feel you may need
    a lot of official support (I've seen you recently in the dedicated
    newsgroup so you already know about that) you may want to look
    elsewhere. The latest version of the Linksys G router will probably be
    more upgradeable and be supported longer than the MS hardware. But it
    will cost more $$$.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Thanks Barb,
    By support, I really was more concerned about possible updates to fix things
    that come up. For tech support I have these boards and you :-)

    BTW, I didn't have WZC options on that computer with the USB adapter, I did
    get it going, but still, the device itself is only capable of 40/104 bit
    WEP. The setup has to be done through the BBN to be able to use 128 bit. I
    may get the MN-7?? USB adapter, just so that I will have the "g" capability
    AND it will have 128 bit WEP.

    One more question, I enabled MAC filtering, I'm guessing that each computer
    will keep the same MAC address. I guess I thought that the address might
    change each time I boot the machine.

    Thanks for all your help!

> [...]
    > >Carol
    > >
    > >"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> Carol,
    > >> Hiding the SSID broadcast won't stop someone who is determined from
    > >> sniffing out your network. Also, if you are hiding yours and someone
    > >> else is broadcasting theirs, there are issues. See
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427
    > >>
    > >> I've written several columns about Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC)
    > >> and there are some Cable Guy columns on the MS technet site as well
    > >> that cover this. Here's one of mine that might help you
    > >>

    >http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/bowman/02december16.a
    sp
    > >> with your particular issue.
    > >>

    > >> Bottom line is don't use the Broadband Network Utility that ships with
    > >> the USB wireless to configure your wireless settings. Use Windows XP.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    If you are running XP SP1/1a, the key length determine the encryption
    strength. MS wanted to simplify it and "just make it work" in SP1
    (think of 40 and 64 as the same and 104/128 as the same)

    1 ASCII Character=8 Bits

    1 HEX Character=4 Bits

    40 or 64 bit ASCII WEP code has 5 characters

    40 or 64 bit HEX WEP code has 10 characters

    104 or 128 bit ASCII WEP code has 13 characters

    104 or 128 bit HEX WEP code has 26 characters

    so to enable 128 bit WEP, enter 26 characters comprise of the letters
    a-f and numbers 0-9

    updates to fix things - MS has always been slower to release updates
    than other vendors.

    The MAC address of the adapters does not change.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    I have 128 WEP enabled on the router and my other computers, but I wasn't
    able to enter the 26 characters into the WEP key settings and there wasn't
    an option for ASCII or hex. Another weird thing, After installing the WZC on
    that computer (in services it said it was auto and running, but there was no
    wireless tab so I added it via the INF directory) once I did that, there was
    a third network icon in my system tray, one for the BBN, one just said it
    was the wireless connection, I could disable it or open network connections
    and the new one gives me the option to view available networks. AND if that
    weren't strange enough, if I open the network connections from the icon that
    only gives me the option to do so (or disable), and right click on it, there
    still in NO wireless tab in the adapter properties. BUT, If I open the
    network connections by right clicking on the new icon in the system tray,
    the one that gives me the added option to view available networks, and right
    click on the (what appears to be the same) wireless connection, it has the
    wireless tab. ALSO, if I just open the network properties, say via the
    control panel, or that icon that doesn't have the available networks, in the
    advanced tab, the firewall in NOT enabled BUT, If I open the network
    connections with the new icon and right click the (what looks to be the
    same) wireless connection, and go to the advanced tab, the firewall IS
    enabled. I'm so confused... now I'm guessing you are pretty confused too!
    Anyway, it is working, as long as I keep my SSID broadcasting (which I still
    don't like), and all my computers can share with all my computers.
    I'm going to read more of your site info and see if I can learn
    something.... wishful thinking.

> [...]
    capability
    > >AND it will have 128 bit WEP.
    > >
    > >One more question, I enabled MAC filtering, I'm guessing that each
    computer
    > >will keep the same MAC address. I guess I thought that the address might
    > >change each time I boot the machine.
    > >
    > >Thanks for all your help!
    > >Carol
    > >

    > >"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> Microsoft IS leaving the wifi network hardware business. They've
    > >> stated there will be support for a while but if you feel you may need
    > >> a lot of official support (I've seen you recently in the dedicated
    > >> newsgroup so you already know about that) you may want to look
    > >> elsewhere. The latest version of the Linksys G router will probably be
    > >> more upgradeable and be supported longer than the MS hardware. But it

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    You have 3 icons:
    1 is the BBN icon from the MS Software

    1 is the wireless connection icon (the one that lets you view wireless
    connections, etc)

    1 is for a IGD (Internet Gateway Device) - i.e., the router - this is
    shown because the router is UPnP.

    (the last two icons look the same on SP1. in SP2, there will be a
    change and these two will look different and will be less confusing)

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Of course you would know all this stuff... I don't think there is much you
    haven't had a chance to deal with.

    I went out today and got the 700 series router and USB adapter. Any special
    instructions I should know as I'm upgrading from the 500 series. I know that
    a clean install is always better, but I also know it's next to impossible to
    completely uninstall this stuff. You can't even delete it from the registry.
    I'm going to go over the instructions and see how helpful it is. I've got to
    tell you, I'm NERVOUS!

> [...]
    > >something.... wishful thinking.
    > >Carol
    > >
    > >"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> If you are running XP SP1/1a, the key length determine the encryption
    > >> strength. MS wanted to simplify it and "just make it work" in SP1
    > >> (think of 40 and 64 as the same and 104/128 as the same)
    > >>

    > >> 1 ASCII Character=8 Bits
    > >>
    > >> 1 HEX Character=4 Bits
    > >>

    > >> 40 or 64 bit ASCII WEP code has 5 characters
    > >>
    > >> 40 or 64 bit HEX WEP code has 10 characters
    > >>

    > >> 104 or 128 bit ASCII WEP code has 13 characters
    > >>
    > >> 104 or 128 bit HEX WEP code has 26 characters
    > >>
    > >> so to enable 128 bit WEP, enter 26 characters comprise of the letters
    > >> a-f and numbers 0-9
    > >>
    > >> updates to fix things - MS has always been slower to release updates
    > >> than other vendors.
    > >>
    > >> The MAC address of the adapters does not change.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    I did go to your web site and read the info you had on using both routers,
    one as an access point. I decided just to replace the 500 with the 700. I
    have one laptop that I think has an 802.11b but I'm not sure it isn't b/g,
    none the less, I didn't want the extra stuff in my living room. My house
    already looks pretty strange to most people, with all the wired and wireless
    junk everywhere (not to mention my 5 computers, one not on the network) This
    install was pretty painless with the router. I had a little problem with the
    USB adapter because I was using the CD that came with the router and it only
    had version 2.0 and didn't have the 710 even listed on it. Once I got the
    other CD with version 2.1 drivers and the USB "g" drivers, I was up and
    running. I know you said, and I read the stuff on none broadcasting the
    SSID, but I feel a little more comfortable not broadcasting. I'm not
    concerned about people driving by. I live in a pretty secluded area so I
    don't really think there are going to be too many drive by scanners, but if
    my "young" neighbors don't see me regularly, like I do them, I'm happier.
    The new USB device seems to be working fine with the none broadcast SSID. I
    did enable MAC filtering, as I read on your site.
    Thanks Barb, for all your help and support. I'll tell you, we wouldn't know
    what to do without you!!!
> [...]

    > >something.... wishful thinking.
    > >Carol
    > >
    > >"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> If you are running XP SP1/1a, the key length determine the encryption
    > >> strength. MS wanted to simplify it and "just make it work" in SP1
    > >> (think of 40 and 64 as the same and 104/128 as the same)
    > >>

    > >> 1 ASCII Character=8 Bits
    > >>
    > >> 1 HEX Character=4 Bits
    > >>

    > >> 40 or 64 bit ASCII WEP code has 5 characters
    > >>
    > >> 40 or 64 bit HEX WEP code has 10 characters
    > >>

    > >> 104 or 128 bit ASCII WEP code has 13 characters
    > >>
    > >> 104 or 128 bit HEX WEP code has 26 characters
    > >>
    > >> so to enable 128 bit WEP, enter 26 characters comprise of the letters
    > >> a-f and numbers 0-9
    > >>
    > >> updates to fix things - MS has always been slower to release updates
    > >> than other vendors.
    > >>
    > >> The MAC address of the adapters does not change.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    glad you got things running so quickly with your new hardware.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

Wireless Computers USB Devices Microsoft Wireless Networking