  • Desktops
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
May 17, 2005 2:21:58 PM

Is there a way to remove Taskbar from the Desktop?

Thanks for the help.

Johnny

More about : remove taskbar desktop

May 17, 2005 2:21:59 PM

Where in GP?
I tried several of them. Maybe I went to wrong spot.

Johnny

"Mark" wrote:

> Not sure if you would want to remove it, but you can hide it. Right click
> Start, Properties, Taskbar, check Auto-hide the task bar. The only other way
> I know to do it using group policy.
>

> "Johnny" wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to remove Taskbar from the Desktop?
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
> >
> > Johnny
May 17, 2005 2:27:20 PM

"Johnny" wrote:

> Is there a way to remove Taskbar from the Desktop?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Johnny
Related resources
May 17, 2005 2:35:18 PM

Johnny,
I beleive you would have to auto-hide the task bar and then in group policy
under User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Desktop. There are many
settings there to configure the desktop. One I use is to hide and disable
all items on the desktop on the computers we provide for public access. I
then autoload IE to give them the access they need and nothing else.

Hope this helps.

Mark

"Johnny" wrote:

> Where in GP?
> I tried several of them. Maybe I went to wrong spot.
>
> Johnny
>
> "Mark" wrote:
>
> > Not sure if you would want to remove it, but you can hide it. Right click
> > Start, Properties, Taskbar, check Auto-hide the task bar. The only other way
> > I know to do it using group policy.
> >

> > "Johnny" wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a way to remove Taskbar from the Desktop?
> > >
> > > Thanks for the help.
> > >
> > > Johnny
May 17, 2005 3:46:09 PM

No, It didn't work.
The auto-hide doesn't work for me, I need to hide or remove totally.
The computer will run our software only, nothing user can do on this machine.

Johnny

"Mark" wrote:

> Johnny,
> I beleive you would have to auto-hide the task bar and then in group policy
> under User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Desktop. There are many
> settings there to configure the desktop. One I use is to hide and disable
> all items on the desktop on the computers we provide for public access. I
> then autoload IE to give them the access they need and nothing else.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Mark
>
> "Johnny" wrote:
>
> > Where in GP?
> > I tried several of them. Maybe I went to wrong spot.
> >
> > Johnny
> >
> > "Mark" wrote:
> >
> > > Not sure if you would want to remove it, but you can hide it. Right click
> > > Start, Properties, Taskbar, check Auto-hide the task bar. The only other way
> > > I know to do it using group policy.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 17, 2005 7:08:21 PM

You may want to look at replacing the Shell statement in the Registry.

The Shell value in the right pane can be changed. It could load your software directly, bypassing Explorer.exe. This can also be done on a per user basis. Just add the Shell value to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Note: You'll need to actually be logged onto the account you wish to change. However, see www.dougknox.com, Win XP Tips, Advanced Registry Editing for a method of modifying a specific user's registry settings without being logged onto that account.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Johnny" <Johnny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00F97A3B-8969-4041-BA9B-7759A85F25BD@microsoft.com...
> No, It didn't work.
> The auto-hide doesn't work for me, I need to hide or remove totally.
> The computer will run our software only, nothing user can do on this machine.
>
> Johnny
>
> "Mark" wrote:
>
>> Johnny,
>> I beleive you would have to auto-hide the task bar and then in group policy
>> under User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Desktop. There are many
>> settings there to configure the desktop. One I use is to hide and disable
>> all items on the desktop on the computers we provide for public access. I
>> then autoload IE to give them the access they need and nothing else.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> "Johnny" wrote:
>>
>> > Where in GP?
>> > I tried several of them. Maybe I went to wrong spot.
>> >
>> > Johnny

May 17, 2005 7:08:22 PM

Doug,

I logged on to a particular user, went to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
added the Shell=IEXPLORE.EXE (it didn't work)
tried Shell='C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE' (It didn't
work either)

Am I missing something here?

Johnny

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> You may want to look at replacing the Shell statement in the Registry.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>
> The Shell value in the right pane can be changed. It could load your software directly, bypassing Explorer.exe. This can also be done on a per user basis. Just add the Shell value to:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>
> Note: You'll need to actually be logged onto the account you wish to change. However, see www.dougknox.com, Win XP Tips, Advanced Registry Editing for a method of modifying a specific user's registry settings without being logged onto that account.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Johnny" <Johnny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00F97A3B-8969-4041-BA9B-7759A85F25BD@microsoft.com...
> > No, It didn't work.
> > The auto-hide doesn't work for me, I need to hide or remove totally.
> > The computer will run our software only, nothing user can do on this machine.
> >
> > Johnny
> >
> > "Mark" wrote:
> >
> >> Johnny,
> >> I beleive you would have to auto-hide the task bar and then in group policy
> >> under User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Desktop. There are many
> >> settings there to configure the desktop. One I use is to hide and disable
> >> all items on the desktop on the computers we provide for public access. I
> >> then autoload IE to give them the access they need and nothing else.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps.
> >>
> >> Mark

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 17, 2005 9:50:02 PM

I just tested it with a new account, and it works.

Add the Shell value to the Winlogon subkey as:

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

It doesn't even require quotes around it. I got a blank Desktop and an open IE window. If you make the change while logged on to the account you want restricted, you'll have to log off/log on to see the change.

Note: The only way you will be able to log off the account is through Task Manager. There won't be a taskbar or start button.

!