RELOCATE 'USER' from Documents & Settings

How do I relocate a USER subfolder from the Documents & Settings folder to
another location without causing havoc in Windows?

You can simply copy/move the contents of this folder to another location -
however you must change the profile location in the Windows Registry. Look
for the registry key :
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Once you locate this key, you'll see the users SID's listed. Click on a
users SID and in the right -window, look for the valure 'ProfileImagePath'.
You can edit this path to the new location where you copied the folders to.
You'll need to make sure your editing the correct SID also. To make sure
you're editing the right SID, have th user logon on at least once tot he PC
to create his folder structure. Once created, the entry will show up in the
SID list. Next, logon as an Administrator and perform the editing change I
list above. Once changed, logoff and log back on as the user and your
desktop should reflect the changes.

BE advised that the user must have FULL control of ALL the files/folders in
this location. Also, I've had some minor issues using this technique
regarding file permissions - so test it before you actually use it in
production.

BTW - This is also a handy trick when you want to keep the same 'desktop'
layout for a different user :) For more info, run a Google search on
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and you'll see
a few links.

CHEERS!