Need upgrade help from ATI MMC7.7 to MMC 9

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

For years, I am quite happy with my setup: use ATI MMC 7.7 (Catalyst 2.1) to
capture MPEG 2 files, cut the commercials with TmpgEnc 2.5, then burn to
SVCD with Nero 5.5.

Recently I tried ATI MMC 9 (Catalyst 4.11). Now I had some problems. In the
past, the clips after I cut commercials, they are played back perfectly on
my living room computer ( with Creative Dxr3 mpeg card). But now after the
new setup, each MPEG2 clip is shorter, missing a few seconds in the end. I
don't know if I didn't set up the ATI MMC 9 right-- there are some new
parameters needed to be set up, like choosing close GOP and de-interlaced/
encoding interlace, or Dxr3 card can only play DirectX 8 encoded mpegs but
not DirectX 9. Hope experts in this field can help me.

Thanks.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I searched Google archive and found out people had the same problem in
August, 2000! (If you want to read the thread, use key words: svcd gop apex
lsx nick fox gieg.) People at that time found the cause of the problem and
some workaround. Basically, some players (hardware or software based) can
read only CBR MPEG2 files, but not VBR ones. When VBR MPEG2 files are played
with some players, the final three seconds in the end will be cut. Since I
always set my ATI MMC to capture MPEG2 using CBR and ATI MMC 7.7 is perfect
for the job, may I assume at some point, ATI developers screw up the
program, and CBR setting isn't really CBR but VBR? (VBR/CBR selection became
fancier after Catalyst 2.1/MMC 7.7 release.)