fresh install windows xp - spyware automatic when connect ..

Hi everyone, i was wondering if someone could help me with a spyware problem.
i am trying to install windows xp onto another computer. the windows xp
disk is an old build, from 2002, and does not have sp-1 or sp-2 with it. i
am using adsl through an ISP, and as soon as i connect my computer to the
network i start getting tons of spyware installed in the background. i
installed and ran ad-aware, spybot, and virusscan immediately after
installing xp w/o connecting to the internet, but they come up with nothing.
after i branch my cable and go online, i go directly to the windows update
site to try and download the security updates. but i can't finish because
the spyware shows up and my computer slows down too much. i have also turned
off remote assistance and remote access.

i am very new to xp security, but my only explanation is that they are
exploiting the holes that the security fixes over the last three years are
supposed to resolve. this is very frustrating as i don't know how to fix
this problem since i can't even go online to download the necessary security
updates. will i have to order the sp-1 and sp-2 cd roms to get protection?

anyone who can tell me what the problem is and how i can fix it would be
much appreciated!!!

thanks

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Turn on XP firewall if it is not. It is also a good idea to turn off a
plethora of useless Windows services and to set up IPSec rules before going
online with an XP box for the first time. Then patch it up and cross your
fingers hoping that patches won't screw anything up.

You don't need to download SP1, all the fixes there are included in SP2. You also don't have to wait for a CD, if you have another computer on a high speed conneciton.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Short of that, from another computer, download a 3rd party firewall product and copy it to disk or CD and use it, until you get SP2 downloaded.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.