Windows XP cannot see Domain Accounts.

May 17, 2005 10:43:09 PM

All,

I am having something very strange happen. I have Windows Server
2003 running my domain. I also have a Windows 2000 Server connected to
the domain but it is not configured as a domain controller. Then I
have the Windows XP box running SP2. Now - I can log onto the box via
my domain ID and specifying the domain and it works fine. I can access
resources on the windows 2003 or 2000 server just fine. However, I use
the XP box for development. As part of the application I am creating,
I have local groups on the XP box. I need to add the domain account
which I am logged in as to the local groups on the XP box. However,
when I go into the local groups and users section, the only 'location'
I have an option for is the local PC. I do not see the domain as a
location. However, if I do the same thing on the Windows 2000 server,
in the dropdown list for 'look in' it shows the local machine as well
as the domain. Any ideas why I can't see the domain in the 'locations'
box on the XP box?
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:36:55 AM

All,

As a side note, I was able to log onto the server, find the XP
Workstation in the list of computers, manage it from there and then add
the domain IDs I needed to the local group. However, it does seem that
if I am logged onto the XP box as a domain admin I should be able to
add domain resources to local groups. Any ideas?
May 19, 2005 9:44:38 AM

GCeaser@aol.com wrote:

> All,
>
> As a side note, I was able to log onto the server, find the XP
> Workstation in the list of computers, manage it from there and then
> add
> the domain IDs I needed to the local group. However, it does seem
> that if I am logged onto the XP box as a domain admin I should be able
> add domain resources to local groups. Any ideas?

Does the domain administrator have local administrator rights?

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Answers to all,

I tried manually entering Domain\Id and it did not work either.

Regarding the administrators group on the local computer, I did
not specifically add the ID to the local computer's administrators
group. I did add the 'All authenticated domain users' and the Domain
Admins group to the local computer's administrators group. Shouldn't
this have worked?

Thanks
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 6:36:04 PM

"GCeaser" wrote:
> All,
>
> I am having something very strange happen. I have Windows
> Server
> 2003 running my domain. I also have a Windows 2000 Server
> connected to
> the domain but it is not configured as a domain controller.
> Then I
> have the Windows XP box running SP2. Now - I can log onto the
> box via
> my domain ID and specifying the domain and it works fine. I
> can access
> resources on the windows 2003 or 2000 server just fine.
> However, I use
> the XP box for development. As part of the application I am
> creating,
> I have local groups on the XP box. I need to add the domain
> account
> which I am logged in as to the local groups on the XP box.
> However,
> when I go into the local groups and users section, the only
> 'location'
> I have an option for is the local PC. I do not see the domain
> as a
> location. However, if I do the same thing on the Windows 2000
> server,
> in the dropdown list for 'look in' it shows the local machine
> as well
> as the domain. Any ideas why I can't see the domain in the
> 'locations'
> box on the XP box?

When you add the user, try typing this in the box:

domainname/username (or try \ if the forward slash doesn’t work).

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-Windows-XP-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1217597
April 28, 2009 12:38:36 AM

I had the same case as you.
How many hubs do you have?
I had too many small hubs and connected all my computers directly onto the main switch and it resolved my problem
!