Windows XP cannot see Domain Accounts.

All,

I am having something very strange happen. I have Windows Server
2003 running my domain. I also have a Windows 2000 Server connected to
the domain but it is not configured as a domain controller. Then I
have the Windows XP box running SP2. Now - I can log onto the box via
my domain ID and specifying the domain and it works fine. I can access
resources on the windows 2003 or 2000 server just fine. However, I use
the XP box for development. As part of the application I am creating,
I have local groups on the XP box. I need to add the domain account
which I am logged in as to the local groups on the XP box. However,
when I go into the local groups and users section, the only 'location'
I have an option for is the local PC. I do not see the domain as a
location. However, if I do the same thing on the Windows 2000 server,
in the dropdown list for 'look in' it shows the local machine as well
as the domain. Any ideas why I can't see the domain in the 'locations'
box on the XP box?
5 answers Last reply
More about windows domain accounts

    All,

    As a side note, I was able to log onto the server, find the XP
    Workstation in the list of computers, manage it from there and then add
    the domain IDs I needed to the local group. However, it does seem that
    if I am logged onto the XP box as a domain admin I should be able to
    add domain resources to local groups. Any ideas?

    GCeaser@aol.com wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > As a side note, I was able to log onto the server, find the XP
    > Workstation in the list of computers, manage it from there and then
    > add
    > the domain IDs I needed to the local group. However, it does seem
    > that if I am logged onto the XP box as a domain admin I should be able
    > add domain resources to local groups. Any ideas?

    Does the domain administrator have local administrator rights?

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Answers to all,

    I tried manually entering Domain\Id and it did not work either.

    Regarding the administrators group on the local computer, I did
    not specifically add the ID to the local computer's administrators
    group. I did add the 'All authenticated domain users' and the Domain
    Admins group to the local computer's administrators group. Shouldn't
    this have worked?

    Thanks

    "GCeaser" wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I am having something very strange happen. I have Windows
    > Server
    > 2003 running my domain. I also have a Windows 2000 Server
    > connected to
    > the domain but it is not configured as a domain controller.
    > Then I
    > have the Windows XP box running SP2. Now - I can log onto the
    > box via
    > my domain ID and specifying the domain and it works fine. I
    > can access
    > resources on the windows 2003 or 2000 server just fine.
    > However, I use
    > the XP box for development. As part of the application I am
    > creating,
    > I have local groups on the XP box. I need to add the domain
    > account
    > which I am logged in as to the local groups on the XP box.
    > However,
    > when I go into the local groups and users section, the only
    > 'location'
    > I have an option for is the local PC. I do not see the domain
    > as a
    > location. However, if I do the same thing on the Windows 2000
    > server,
    > in the dropdown list for 'look in' it shows the local machine
    > as well
    > as the domain. Any ideas why I can't see the domain in the
    > 'locations'
    > box on the XP box?

    When you add the user, try typing this in the box:

    domainname/username (or try \ if the forward slash doesn’t work).

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-Windows-XP-Domain-Accounts-ftopict374211.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1217597
  5. I had the same case as you.
    How many hubs do you have?
    I had too many small hubs and connected all my computers directly onto the main switch and it resolved my problem

Domain Windows XP