Advise other than security./ ASKING MALKE...

I seem to be set with security software for now, but being a novice after
reading
several different articles it seems there are other tools needed to keep a PC
running smooth and to keep it healthy.
I have read input from Malke and since you seem to be very knowledgeable I
thought I would ask you to answer my questions if you have time to do so. If
a #
of people respond I may get confused which is easy for me.
I have read that defragment programs and a program to fix/clean the registry
is very important
, but there are so many products claiming to be the best I am not sure which
way to go. I want to get programs that do very complete jobs, can you advise
as to if
you feel these types of utilties are necessary and if so which
product/company would you go with.
Also what about all in one utility suites such as Symantec Norton
system works
2005. Will it clean up the registry and defragment the hard drive and what
about all the other tools included with the software, it sounds very good.
PCworld
did a test with 5 top all in one utilties and put Sym. Nor. at the top. It
also spoke of a recovery disc that comes with the package that they said is
very good to have and is a very good utility.
I know I have asked a lot, and time is valuable, but even a bit of input
will be appreciated.
I purchased my computer at the first of the year and I want to take care
of it
starting right away so it will work good several years from now. Even though
it is not a top of the line computer it's OK and took me a while to get, and
I am really enjoying it so far.
HERE ARE THE GENERAL SPECS... Emachine W2925- 330 Celeron D 2.66
processor. 120 HD. 256mb DDR SDram( plan to add 512 down the line ).
Media reader, DVD+/-RW etc..
Also any other utilties you feel are necessary please let me know.

Very Sincerely,

Mark

Mark, I'm not Malke, but I'll thrown in my advice, as a user of Windows operating system since 1992.

Registry cleaners: Don't. They all think they know what's best for your OS. And none of them know everything. I have tried several of these over the years, and have immediately removed them from my computer. I simply will not use them. And I have never had these "sudden unexplainable" problems, that so many users report. If I feel my registry needs "cleaning", I do it myself. And I rarely bother. I've added/removed programs and done all kinds of things with my systems and have noticed little, if any impact from not "cleaning" the Registry.

Disk Defragmenters: Use the one that's built into Windows XP. Its designed for Windows XP. Short of that, if you feel you must use one, check out PerfectDisk from www.raxco.com. It runs once a week on my system and I have ZERO issues with it. I recommend very few specific products, but this is one that I will recommend without hesitation.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"sloeindown01" <sloeindown01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E7F8E27-E880-4206-A771-2E775326BC5B@microsoft.com...
>I seem to be set with security software for now, but being a novice after
> reading
> several different articles it seems there are other tools needed to keep a PC
> running smooth and to keep it healthy.
> I have read input from Malke and since you seem to be very knowledgeable I
> thought I would ask you to answer my questions if you have time to do so. If
> a #
> of people respond I may get confused which is easy for me.
> I have read that defragment programs and a program to fix/clean the registry
> is very important
> , but there are so many products claiming to be the best I am not sure which
> way to go. I want to get programs that do very complete jobs, can you advise
> as to if
> you feel these types of utilties are necessary and if so which
> product/company would you go with.
> Also what about all in one utility suites such as Symantec Norton
> system works
> 2005. Will it clean up the registry and defragment the hard drive and what
> about all the other tools included with the software, it sounds very good.
> PCworld
> did a test with 5 top all in one utilties and put Sym. Nor. at the top. It
> also spoke of a recovery disc that comes with the package that they said is
> very good to have and is a very good utility.
> I know I have asked a lot, and time is valuable, but even a bit of input
> will be appreciated.
> I purchased my computer at the first of the year and I want to take care
> of it
> starting right away so it will work good several years from now. Even though
> it is not a top of the line computer it's OK and took me a while to get, and
> I am really enjoying it so far.
> HERE ARE THE GENERAL SPECS... Emachine W2925- 330 Celeron D 2.66
> processor. 120 HD. 256mb DDR SDram( plan to add 512 down the line ).
> Media reader, DVD+/-RW etc..
> Also any other utilties you feel are necessary please let me know.
>
> Very Sincerely,
>
> Mark

Malke

Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:

> Mark, I'm not Malke, but I'll thrown in my advice, as a user of
> Windows operating system since 1992.
>
> Registry cleaners: Don't. They all think they know what's best for
> your OS. And none of them know everything. I have tried several of
> these over the years, and have immediately removed them from my
> computer. I simply will not use them. And I have never had these
> "sudden unexplainable" problems, that so many users report. If I feel
> my registry needs "cleaning", I do it myself. And I rarely bother.
> I've added/removed programs and done all kinds of things with my
> systems and have noticed little, if any impact from not "cleaning" the
> Registry.
>
> Disk Defragmenters: Use the one that's built into Windows XP. Its
> designed for Windows XP. Short of that, if you feel you must use
> one, check out PerfectDisk from www.raxco.com. It runs once a week on
> my system and I have ZERO issues with it. I recommend very few
> specific products, but this is one that I will recommend without
> hesitation.

What Doug said. ;-)

Malke
--