Flat panel LCD, gaming, and Radeon?

I am building a system for my friend and was wondering if the LCD
monitors are gaming friendly. There are some LCD monitor reviews where
people are happy with theirs and they claim there is no "ghosting".

I plan on building it with an ATI AIW 9800pro.
Is there an LCD spec that I should look for to enhance gaming?

Anyway I sure like how they look and hope they can be used for games.

thanks
13 answers Last reply
More about flat panel gaming radeon

    Thanks!

    SHRED wrote:
    > I am building a system for my friend and was wondering if the LCD
    > monitors are gaming friendly. There are some LCD monitor reviews where
    > people are happy with theirs and they claim there is no "ghosting".
    >
    > I plan on building it with an ATI AIW 9800pro.
    > Is there an LCD spec that I should look for to enhance gaming?
    >
    > Anyway I sure like how they look and hope they can be used for games.
    >
    > thanks

    If you buy an LCD with a total response time of 16ms or less, you should be
    fine for gaming.

    Martin

    "SHRED" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >I am building a system for my friend and was wondering if the LCD monitors
    >are gaming friendly. There are some LCD monitor reviews where people are
    >happy with theirs and they claim there is no "ghosting".
    >
    > I plan on building it with an ATI AIW 9800pro.
    > Is there an LCD spec that I should look for to enhance gaming?
    >
    > Anyway I sure like how they look and hope they can be used for games.
    >
    > thanks

    I use a Sony SDM-HS93P with an ATI X800 Pro. Works beautifully with all the
    latest games. Half-Life2, Far Cry, Flat Out, NFS-U2. No blurring at all and
    fantastic colours.

    "redTed" <redted@nthelloworld.com> wrote in message

    > "SHRED" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >>I am building a system for my friend and was wondering if the LCD monitors
    >>are gaming friendly. There are some LCD monitor reviews where people are
    >>happy with theirs and they claim there is no "ghosting".
    >>
    >> I plan on building it with an ATI AIW 9800pro.
    >> Is there an LCD spec that I should look for to enhance gaming?
    >>
    >> Anyway I sure like how they look and hope they can be used for games.
    >>
    >> thanks
    >
    > I use a Sony SDM-HS93P with an ATI X800 Pro. Works beautifully with all
    > the latest games. Half-Life2, Far Cry, Flat Out, NFS-U2. No blurring at
    > all and fantastic colours.

    Yep. I've got a Dell 2001FP - 1600x1200 native resolution, 16ms response.
    Great for gaming. And those are the key attributes to look for really. High
    native resolution and 16ms or faster response rate. The higher resolution
    makes the picture crisp and translates very well to lower resoltions because
    the density of the pixels is so high. The 16ms response rate is equivilent
    to approximately a 60Hz refresh (1 divided by 0.016 seconds = 62.5 Hz)

    I'm using a BenQ FP937s, 12ms and it's brilliant in HL2 and GTR.

    --
    Andi.

    Remove only one zero to reply

    Martin wrote:
    > If you buy an LCD with a total response time of 16ms or less, you
    > should be fine for gaming.

    Mine is 25ms. What will the games be like? Unplayable? I havn't tried any
    yet cos my system isnt that good.

    --
    This is 29, Acacia Road. And this is Eric, the schoolboy who leads an
    exciting double life. For when Eric eats a banana, an amazing

    Color and response time is so-so. What you will lose
    big time is fine detail. Most games don't have any to
    begin with, but with Far Cry, you'll lose the sand
    totally. The sand and rocks will just be splotches.
    As long as you are moving around in the game, you
    won't see any problems, but if you look at details
    you won't see any. As for resolution. Resolution doesn't
    change for any setting. An LCD pixel is the same size
    regardless of the size of the monitor. The way you get
    better resolution on an LCD monitor is to buy a bigger
    screen with more pixels. Then you can move the monitor
    further away from you and THAT is called improved
    resolution. To get resolution equivalent to an analog
    monitor, you need a fairly big LCD monitor .. 21 inches
    .... and set it back about 3 feet. That is expensive.

    johns

    JimBob wrote:
    > Martin wrote:
    >> If you buy an LCD with a total response time of 16ms or less, you
    >> should be fine for gaming.
    >
    > Mine is 25ms. What will the games be like? Unplayable? I havn't tried
    > any yet cos my system isnt that good.

    I've seen people posting that games are perfectly acceptable with their
    particular 25ms LCD, but I've not personally tried one. It certainly will
    not be unplayable!

    Martin

    Martin wrote:
    > > Mine is 25ms. What will the games be like? Unplayable? I havn't
    > > tried any yet cos my system isnt that good.
    >
    > I've seen people posting that games are perfectly acceptable with
    > their particular 25ms LCD, but I've not personally tried one. It
    > certainly will not be unplayable!

    Thanks.

    --
    This is 29, Acacia Road. And this is Eric, the schoolboy who leads an
    exciting double life. For when Eric eats a banana, an amazing
    transformation occurs. Eric is Bananaman.

    In article JimBob says...
    > Martin wrote:
    > > If you buy an LCD with a total response time of 16ms or less, you
    > > should be fine for gaming.
    >
    > Mine is 25ms. What will the games be like? Unplayable? I havn't tried any
    > yet cos my system isnt that good.

    Not at all. Also the 16ms response time is a red herring as it only is a
    measurement of the time a pixel takes to go from black to white. It
    actually takes longer to change to different colours or shades as the
    pixel needs time to settle down...up to 90ms on some TFTs which is
    equivalent of 11 frames per second.

    It all depends on the panel technology used. The TN+Film technology is
    faster than S-IPS with MVA/PVA being the slowest but ironically you can
    only find TN+Film being used on budget 17" monitors.

    Personally I find my cheapo 17" 25ms response time monitor fine for
    CStrike, HL2, Doom3.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton

    Conor wrote:
    > > Mine is 25ms. What will the games be like? Unplayable? I havn't
    > > tried any yet cos my system isnt that good.
    > >
    > Not at all. Also the 16ms response time is a red herring as it only
    > is a measurement of the time a pixel takes to go from black to white.
    > It actually takes longer to change to different colours or shades as
    > the pixel needs time to settle down...up to 90ms on some TFTs which is
    > equivalent of 11 frames per second.
    >
    > It all depends on the panel technology used. The TN+Film technology is
    > faster than S-IPS with MVA/PVA being the slowest but ironically you
    > can only find TN+Film being used on budget 17" monitors.
    >
    > Personally I find my cheapo 17" 25ms response time monitor fine for
    > CStrike, HL2, Doom3.

    Mine is a 15" Samsung Syncmaster 152V. I'll be upgrading soon so i hope to
    be happy with it.

    --

    "johns" <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote in message
    > Color and response time is so-so. What you will lose
    > big time is fine detail. Most games don't have any to
    > begin with, but with Far Cry, you'll lose the sand
    > totally. The sand and rocks will just be splotches.
    > As long as you are moving around in the game, you
    > won't see any problems, but if you look at details
    > you won't see any. As for resolution. Resolution doesn't
    > change for any setting. An LCD pixel is the same size
    > regardless of the size of the monitor. The way you get
    > better resolution on an LCD monitor is to buy a bigger
    > screen with more pixels. Then you can move the monitor
    > further away from you and THAT is called improved
    > resolution. To get resolution equivalent to an analog
    > monitor, you need a fairly big LCD monitor .. 21 inches
    > ... and set it back about 3 feet. That is expensive.
    >
    > johns

    For one, I have an LCD with 16ms response with 1600x1200 native resolution.
    Far Cry looks fabulous. And secondly, yes, you should get a high native
    resolution as it scales downward beautifully. My Dell 2001FP cost me $700
    (that's for a 20.1 viewable area). That's not that expensive considering
    even some great 21" tube monitors cost $500 or more and probably have less
    than 20" viewable area, plus they weigh about ten times as much and take up
    a HUGE footprint. I couldn't believe how much space I cleared up on my
    desktop when I went from a 19" Trinitron tube to my 20" LCD.

    I have an 1715bm acer, with 12ms response time, HL2, etc, are awesome, dvds
    are awesome.

    The refresh rate on this gem is 75mhz

    smithy

    "Andi Cole" <andi@eloc00.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I'm using a BenQ FP937s, 12ms and it's brilliant in HL2 and GTR.
    >
    > --
    > Andi.
    >
    > Remove only one zero to reply
    >

    > "SHRED" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message