No sound in Windows 7

Khafka

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
I'm sure this gets asked a lot as I've noticed there seems to be quite a problem regarding Windows 7 and audio.

My friend has recently put together a new PC for me and I installed Windows 7 onto it. It runs fine, not a problem except when I come to plug my speakers in.

It registers that sound is playing on the machine with the green bar bouncing about but nothing comes out of my speakers. I have looked all over the place and downloaded a codec for this, an install for that but NOTHING seems to work.

I have tried the speakers in my other machine and they work fine so I know it's not them. I also tried running a live Ubuntu CD and the sound still wasn't working so I'm guessing that it's a hardware issue, possibly my soundcard could be broken? My friend disagrees as he said he had sound on it when he was testing it but I'm no so sure.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA K8N Pro-SLI, I've tried the drivers from their website.

Please help! It's driving me nuts not knowing what is wrong.

bmathews

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
This solution has worked for quite a few people. Go to the sound drop down from control panel. Make the usb speaker the default device and click the properties button. Under 'enhancements' make sure the 'disable enhancements' button is checked then click okay. Speakers should work.

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team