Jenn

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

Hello. We've been rolling out XP and would like to control the power
management settings that put the hard drive, and monitor to sleep. The only
GPO I can find is whether or not to prompt for a password after hibernation.

Right now it's a management issue as we do not allow our regular users to be
local administrators. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Not possible ... This has been researched many times by many people ... But,
users don't need to be local admins to set power settings ... Power settings
are set per user, not per PC ...

"Jenn" <Jenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello. We've been rolling out XP and would like to control the power
> management settings that put the hard drive, and monitor to sleep. The
only
> GPO I can find is whether or not to prompt for a password after
hibernation.

> Right now it's a management issue as we do not allow our regular users to
be
> local administrators. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Adam

What about the EnergyStar service? Not considered stable enough for
enterprise deployment?

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=power_mgt.pr_pm_ez_gpo

"Joe Rookie" wrote:

> Not possible ... This has been researched many times by many people ... But,
> users don't need to be local admins to set power settings ... Power settings
> are set per user, not per PC ...
>
> "Jenn" <Jenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello. We've been rolling out XP and would like to control the power
> > management settings that put the hard drive, and monitor to sleep. The
> only
> > GPO I can find is whether or not to prompt for a password after
> hibernation.
> >
> > Right now it's a management issue as we do not allow our regular users to
> be
> > local administrators. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I stand corrected ... I've asked around with hundreds of admins and never
found anything ... Thanks for the link ... We'll check it out ...

"Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What about the EnergyStar service? Not considered stable enough for
> enterprise deployment?
>
> http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=power_mgt.pr_pm_ez_gpo
>
> "Joe Rookie" wrote:
>
> > Not possible ... This has been researched many times by many people ...
But,
> > users don't need to be local admins to set power settings ... Power
settings
> > are set per user, not per PC ...
> >
> > "Jenn" <Jenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello. We've been rolling out XP and would like to control the power
> > > management settings that put the hard drive, and monitor to sleep.
The
> > only
> > > GPO I can find is whether or not to prompt for a password after
> > hibernation.
> > >
> > > Right now it's a management issue as we do not allow our regular users
> > be
> > > local administrators. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Jenn

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

Thanks, that helps a great deal. We'll check it out and see how it works.

"Joe Rookie" wrote:

> I stand corrected ... I've asked around with hundreds of admins and never
> found anything ... Thanks for the link ... We'll check it out ...
>
> "Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > What about the EnergyStar service? Not considered stable enough for
> > enterprise deployment?
> >
> > http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=power_mgt.pr_pm_ez_gpo
> >
> > "Joe Rookie" wrote:
> >
> > > Not possible ... This has been researched many times by many people ...
> But,
> > > users don't need to be local admins to set power settings ... Power
> settings
> > > are set per user, not per PC ...
> > >
> > > "Jenn" <Jenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The
> > > only
> > > hibernation.

> > > be

Adam

We're in that mode, too, so I make no claims that this is a be-all-end-all
solution, but it looks good on paper.