Question on security differences between WindowsXP and Win..

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Hi, I have searched this out but the words windows, security, and directory
give too many irrelevant hits. Excuse this post if it is too simple because
I am asking here as a last resory.

At work I have created a directory called c:\test and I have setup read
access to some people, no access for everyone else, and r/w access for me.
The computer uses Windows2000. To setup security I right click on the
folder, select the "security" tab, and select the usernames of people and
click little boxes whether I want to give them read or write access etc.

At home we use Windows XP. At home I have also created a directory called
c:\test. I want to allow my wife to read the contents but not write anything
in it. When I right click on the folder, all I see in the properties tab is
tabls for "general", "sharing", "web sharing" and "customize". I want to add
use "Pauline" who is a WindowsXP user on our home computer to have read
access. There is no security table where I can select the usernames. How to
I enable this. At home I am using WindowsXP Pro, Version 2002, Service Pack
2. How do you enable this?

Thank you

Peter

How Do I Get the Security tab in Folder Properties?
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_security_tab.htm

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Pete" wrote:

| Hi, I have searched this out but the words windows, security, and directory
| give too many irrelevant hits. Excuse this post if it is too simple because
| I am asking here as a last resory.
|
| At work I have created a directory called c:\test and I have setup read
| access to some people, no access for everyone else, and r/w access for me.
| The computer uses Windows2000. To setup security I right click on the
| folder, select the "security" tab, and select the usernames of people and
| click little boxes whether I want to give them read or write access etc.
|
| At home we use Windows XP. At home I have also created a directory called
| c:\test. I want to allow my wife to read the contents but not write anything
| in it. When I right click on the folder, all I see in the properties tab is
| tabls for "general", "sharing", "web sharing" and "customize". I want to add
| use "Pauline" who is a WindowsXP user on our home computer to have read
| access. There is no security table where I can select the usernames. How to
| I enable this. At home I am using WindowsXP Pro, Version 2002, Service Pack
| 2. How do you enable this?
|
| Thank you
|
| Peter

"Security" is only available on NTFS partitions. Your home computer's hard
drives are not formatted NTFS.

How to
> I enable this. At home I am using WindowsXP Pro, Version 2002, Service
> Pack 2. How do you enable this?

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314097

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Pete" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message

> Hi, I have searched this out but the words windows, security, and
> directory give too many irrelevant hits. Excuse this post if it is too
> simple because I am asking here as a last resory.
>
> At work I have created a directory called c:\test and I have setup read
> access to some people, no access for everyone else, and r/w access for me.
> The computer uses Windows2000. To setup security I right click on the
> folder, select the "security" tab, and select the usernames of people and
> click little boxes whether I want to give them read or write access etc.
>
> At home we use Windows XP. At home I have also created a directory called
> c:\test. I want to allow my wife to read the contents but not write
> anything in it. When I right click on the folder, all I see in the
> properties tab is tabls for "general", "sharing", "web sharing" and
> "customize". I want to add use "Pauline" who is a WindowsXP user on our
> home computer to have read access. There is no security table where I can
> select the usernames. How to I enable this. At home I am using WindowsXP
> Pro, Version 2002, Service Pack 2. How do you enable this?
>
> Thank you
>
> Peter

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

In addition to Danny's point, please note that on XP HOME formatted in NTFS,
the security settings are only accessible in a Safe Mode boot.