Budget pc, revised

After some really helpful advice, especially from thomas. I reworked the
system budget to give me a more sizeble amount to go shopping for gfx cards,
and learnt an important lesson about amd vs intel when it comes to budgets.
the new set up is

2600+ sempron
asus mobo
2700 ddr 512mb
sapphire 9600pro 128 mb

all of this for the low, low price of £204(approximately $400 or 300 euros).

What do you think?

"Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> After some really helpful advice, especially from thomas. I reworked the
> system budget to give me a more sizeble amount to go shopping for gfx
> cards, and learnt an important lesson about amd vs intel when it comes to
> budgets. the new set up is
>
> 2600+ sempron
> asus mobo
> 2700 ddr 512mb
> sapphire 9600pro 128 mb
>
> all of this for the low, low price of £204(approximately $400 or 300
> euros).
>
> What do you think?

Go for PC3200 ram, I know the Sempron only needs 2700, but try to future
proof it a little... if you get PC3200 you can always just upgrade the CPU
in the future to the XP3200, add another 512MB ram (hopefully the mobo will
support dual channel memory) and the speed increase will be significant..
for a little extra spent now, you could save yourself money next time
around.

"Heckler ²°°³" <spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> After some really helpful advice, especially from thomas. I reworked the
>> system budget to give me a more sizeble amount to go shopping for gfx
>> cards, and learnt an important lesson about amd vs intel when it comes to
>> budgets. the new set up is
>>
>> 2600+ sempron
>> asus mobo
>> 2700 ddr 512mb
>> sapphire 9600pro 128 mb
>>
>> all of this for the low, low price of £204(approximately $400 or 300
>> euros).
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Go for PC3200 ram, I know the Sempron only needs 2700, but try to future
> proof it a little... if you get PC3200 you can always just upgrade the CPU
> in the future to the XP3200, add another 512MB ram (hopefully the mobo
> will support dual channel memory) and the speed increase will be
> significant.. for a little extra spent now, you could save yourself money
> next time around.

Great suggestion, and hell, I don't even think that PC3200 is much more
expensive than PC2700 anyways. Probably cost you at most £5 or 6 more for
the PC3200 versus PC2700. This is an excellent budget PC setup.

Try ro find a mobile XP 2400 or 2500 and overclock it and a 9600XT the Pros
aren't that good

"Heckler ²°°³" <spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> After some really helpful advice, especially from thomas. I reworked the
>> system budget to give me a more sizeble amount to go shopping for gfx
>> cards, and learnt an important lesson about amd vs intel when it comes to
>> budgets. the new set up is
>>
>> 2600+ sempron
>> asus mobo
>> 2700 ddr 512mb
>> sapphire 9600pro 128 mb
>>
>> all of this for the low, low price of £204(approximately $400 or 300
>> euros).
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Go for PC3200 ram, I know the Sempron only needs 2700, but try to future
> proof it a little... if you get PC3200 you can always just upgrade the CPU
> in the future to the XP3200, add another 512MB ram (hopefully the mobo
> will support dual channel memory) and the speed increase will be
> significant.. for a little extra spent now, you could save yourself money
> next time around.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> After some really helpful advice, especially from thomas. I reworked the
> system budget to give me a more sizeble amount to go shopping for gfx
> cards, and learnt an important lesson about amd vs intel when it comes to
> budgets. the new set up is
>
> 2600+ sempron
> asus mobo
> 2700 ddr 512mb
> sapphire 9600pro 128 mb
>
> all of this for the low, low price of £204(approximately $400 or 300
> euros).
>
> What do you think?

that'll do nicely - save up in a bit and add another 512mb.
games like Far Cry, Doom 3 and HL2 will benefit from the extra.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Sleepy" <nospamthanksbpespley@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> After some really helpful advice, especially from thomas. I reworked the
>> system budget to give me a more sizeble amount to go shopping for gfx
>> cards, and learnt an important lesson about amd vs intel when it comes to
>> budgets. the new set up is
>>
>> 2600+ sempron
>> asus mobo
>> 2700 ddr 512mb
>> sapphire 9600pro 128 mb
>>
>> all of this for the low, low price of £204(approximately $400 or 300
>> euros).
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> that'll do nicely - save up in a bit and add another 512mb.
> games like Far Cry, Doom 3 and HL2 will benefit from the extra.
http://www.retekdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Video_Cards.html
check here for a reconditioned 9700 pro at £70
256bit memory instead of 128bit on the 9600pro makes quite
a differance.

Would love to get some 3200 ram but the mobo only supports pc2700, so thats
not happening this upgrade.
lol

Thanks for the advice anyhow
"Heckler ²°°³" <spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> After some really helpful advice, especially from thomas. I reworked the
>> system budget to give me a more sizeble amount to go shopping for gfx
>> cards, and learnt an important lesson about amd vs intel when it comes to
>> budgets. the new set up is
>>
>> 2600+ sempron
>> asus mobo
>> 2700 ddr 512mb
>> sapphire 9600pro 128 mb
>>
>> all of this for the low, low price of £204(approximately $400 or 300
>> euros).
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Go for PC3200 ram, I know the Sempron only needs 2700, but try to future
> proof it a little... if you get PC3200 you can always just upgrade the CPU
> in the future to the XP3200, add another 512MB ram (hopefully the mobo
> will support dual channel memory) and the speed increase will be
> significant.. for a little extra spent now, you could save yourself money
> next time around.

The PC3200 (DDR400) RAM would have worked just fine in your motherboard at
PC2700 (DDR333) speeds. By definition, PC3200 RAM for example, is not
REQUIRED to run at 200Mhz; it is RATED to run at up to 200Mhz, but nothing
is stopping it from running at 166Mhz.

--
Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com

> Would love to get some 3200 ram but the mobo only supports pc2700, so
> thats not happening this upgrade.
> lol
>
> Thanks for the advice anyhow
> "Heckler ²°°³" <spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> After some really helpful advice, especially from thomas. I reworked the
>>> system budget to give me a more sizeble amount to go shopping for gfx
>>> cards, and learnt an important lesson about amd vs intel when it comes
>>> to budgets. the new set up is
>>>
>>> 2600+ sempron
>>> asus mobo
>>> 2700 ddr 512mb
>>> sapphire 9600pro 128 mb
>>>
>>> all of this for the low, low price of £204(approximately $400 or 300
>>> euros).
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> Go for PC3200 ram, I know the Sempron only needs 2700, but try to future
>> proof it a little... if you get PC3200 you can always just upgrade the
>> CPU in the future to the XP3200, add another 512MB ram (hopefully the
>> mobo will support dual channel memory) and the speed increase will be
>> significant.. for a little extra spent now, you could save yourself money
>> next time around.

Thanks for the site, but to cut down on costs, i'm buying all the stuff from
the same retailer to reduce the delivery costs, lol(When i said tight, i
meant it). and plus those costs are before vat. I'll just wait till i visit
the us in the summer, and use the exchange rate to my advantage, lol.

Thanks again

> "Sleepy" <nospamthanksbpespley@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> After some really helpful advice, especially from thomas. I reworked the
>>> system budget to give me a more sizeble amount to go shopping for gfx
>>> cards, and learnt an important lesson about amd vs intel when it comes
>>> to budgets. the new set up is
>>>
>>> 2600+ sempron
>>> asus mobo
>>> 2700 ddr 512mb
>>> sapphire 9600pro 128 mb
>>>
>>> all of this for the low, low price of £204(approximately $400 or 300
>>> euros).
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> that'll do nicely - save up in a bit and add another 512mb.
>> games like Far Cry, Doom 3 and HL2 will benefit from the extra.
> http://www.retekdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Video_Cards.html
> check here for a reconditioned 9700 pro at £70
> 256bit memory instead of 128bit on the 9600pro makes quite
> a differance.

Thanks, you learn something new everyday, lol

"Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The PC3200 (DDR400) RAM would have worked just fine in your motherboard at
> PC2700 (DDR333) speeds. By definition, PC3200 RAM for example, is not
> REQUIRED to run at 200Mhz; it is RATED to run at up to 200Mhz, but nothing
> is stopping it from running at 166Mhz.
>
> --
> Tony DiMarzio
> djtone81@hotmail.com
> tony.dimarzio@comcast.net
>
> "Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Would love to get some 3200 ram but the mobo only supports pc2700, so
>> thats not happening this upgrade.
>> lol
>>
>> Thanks for the advice anyhow
>> "Heckler ²°°³" <spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Go for PC3200 ram, I know the Sempron only needs 2700, but try to future
>>> proof it a little... if you get PC3200 you can always just upgrade the
>>> CPU in the future to the XP3200, add another 512MB ram (hopefully the
>>> mobo will support dual channel memory) and the speed increase will be
>>> significant.. for a little extra spent now, you could save yourself
>>> money next time around.

Wazza

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004

"Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The PC3200 (DDR400) RAM would have worked just fine in your motherboard at
> PC2700 (DDR333) speeds. By definition, PC3200 RAM for example, is not
> REQUIRED to run at 200Mhz; it is RATED to run at up to 200Mhz, but nothing
> is stopping it from running at 166Mhz.

Also it may run at a CAS 2 at 166Mhz, but CAS 2.5 at 200Mhz