ATI TV Wonder Pro problems ?

I bought myself an ATI TV Wonder Pro with Remote for Christmas. I am
having considerable problems attempting to get the software installed
and working.

The ATI web site is slightly helpful, but still leaves me without a
solution. One frustration is that the directions in the help files as to
where to go for driver updates is not consistent with the links on the
web page. Another frustration is that the software claims I have errors
that I do not have, namely that I do not have directx 9.0 or better.

I have gotten my system to a state in which I can watch TV on the
computer. I can record by doing an "instant" record, and then take the
recorded mpeg file and burn a DVD that I can play on my DVD reader
connected to my TV set.

However, I have not been able to successfully schedule the recording for
some time in the future. I am using the GUIDE+ software that came with
the installation CD. This is the primary (essentially only) reason I
wanted this card and so it is still useless to me. I can schedule a
recording, but when it is time to start all that happens is an error
message box that says "unable to start TV".

Below is the description of the problem that I typed out to send to
customer service at ATI -- but they are closed and not even accepting
email questions until next week.

The CD setup program installs some software, but for one program it
starts and then just stops without doing anything (I think that is the
MMC -- and the version on the CD is 8.2 or something like that).

I have gone to the web pages and see that is a known problem, but with
no known solution posted. I attempted to download the updated version
of the programs (version 9.0) and install them. They apparently
installed -- but there is still something wrong.

When I run the test program, it has two fatal errors. One claims that
my DirectX is not 9.0 or better. It is in fact 9.0C (4.09.0000.0904 as
reported by another ATI diagnostic routine and by DXDiag program).

The other fatal error is that it says I have no "capture driver" loaded.
I have attempted to find and install such a driver without success. The
first problem is that the instructions on the HELP page which tell me
where to get the driver are not in synchrony with the web page. The
HELP page says:

1a. go to www.ati.com --- that I can do
1b. in the CUSTOMERCare column -- I see that
1c. under BUILT BY ATI -- no such entry there.
1d. click FIND A DRIVER -- no such entry.

2. Click CAPTURE DRIVER -- no such entry evident anywhere.

However, what I did try was to go to the driver and software entry at
the top, then select system (windows XP), then select graphic driver,
and then Raedon family. From there, I downloaded the first driver on
the list which is supposed to be display driver, control panel and WDM
Capture driver. The file name was:
wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-082-041130a-019577c.exe.

When run, it did not seem to install a "capture" driver, at least not
something explicitly labeled as such.

FWIW, the computer is a new DELL 8400 with a built in ATI Raedon 300
series graphic card. The operating system is WinXP Pro. The input to
the TV tuner is cable (from Comcast).

--
R. Dale Shipp
dale@_delete_this_min.net

"R. Dale Shipp" <dale@_delete_min.net> wrote in message
>I bought myself an ATI TV Wonder Pro with Remote for Christmas. I am
> having considerable problems attempting to get the software installed
> and working.

> The ATI web site is slightly helpful, but still leaves me without a
> solution. One frustration is that the directions in the help files as to
> where to go for driver updates is not consistent with the links on the
> web page. Another frustration is that the software claims I have errors
> that I do not have, namely that I do not have directx 9.0 or better.

The error claiming DirectX 9 or better isn't installed is a known issue with
some versions of ATIs Multimedia Centre package. The latest versions have it
fixed though - to get those, see my comments below.

> I have gotten my system to a state in which I can watch TV on the
> computer. I can record by doing an "instant" record, and then take the
> recorded mpeg file and burn a DVD that I can play on my DVD reader
> connected to my TV set.
>
> However, I have not been able to successfully schedule the recording for
> some time in the future. I am using the GUIDE+ software that came with
> the installation CD. This is the primary (essentially only) reason I
> wanted this card and so it is still useless to me. I can schedule a
> recording, but when it is time to start all that happens is an error
> message box that says "unable to start TV".
>
> Below is the description of the problem that I typed out to send to
> customer service at ATI -- but they are closed and not even accepting
> email questions until next week.
>
> The CD setup program installs some software, but for one program it
> starts and then just stops without doing anything (I think that is the
> MMC -- and the version on the CD is 8.2 or something like that).
>
> I have gone to the web pages and see that is a known problem, but with
> no known solution posted. I attempted to download the updated version
> of the programs (version 9.0) and install them. They apparently
> installed -- but there is still something wrong.

If you got it from ATIs website under *Drivers & Software/Windows
XP/Multimedia Centre/TV Wonder Pro* thats the correct page to look under. On
that page (and referred to on the links at the top) should be everything you
need to get The TV Wonder Pro working on your machine. Note that Capture
drivers are on that page as well - not like graphics cards which have their
own section on the website.

> When I run the test program, it has two fatal errors. One claims that
> my DirectX is not 9.0 or better. It is in fact 9.0C (4.09.0000.0904 as
> reported by another ATI diagnostic routine and by DXDiag program).

See above - its an error in older versions of MMC.

> The other fatal error is that it says I have no "capture driver" loaded.
> I have attempted to find and install such a driver without success. The
> first problem is that the instructions on the HELP page which tell me
> where to get the driver are not in synchrony with the web page. The
> HELP page says:

You've attempted to install the Graphics Card Capture driver thats used with
All In Wonder cards instead of the TV Wonder Pro capture driver/driver which
is at the page described above. That explains why the install couldn't find
a capture device - you have no All In Wonder card installed - its A TV
Wonder Pro instead.
> 1a. go to www.ati.com --- that I can do
> 1b. in the CUSTOMERCare column -- I see that
> 1c. under BUILT BY ATI -- no such entry there.
> 1d. click FIND A DRIVER -- no such entry.
>
> 2. Click CAPTURE DRIVER -- no such entry evident anywhere.

See my directionss to the webpage you need above - ATI support got it wrong
by using an old "template reply" I believe.

> However, what I did try was to go to the driver and software entry at
> the top, then select system (windows XP), then select graphic driver,
> and then Raedon family. From there, I downloaded the first driver on
> the list which is supposed to be display driver, control panel and WDM
> Capture driver. The file name was:
> wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-082-041130a-019577c.exe.

My suspicions confirmed - thats the wrong one, see above!

> When run, it did not seem to install a "capture" driver, at least not
> something explicitly labeled as such.

Ditto.

> FWIW, the computer is a new DELL 8400 with a built in ATI Raedon 300
> series graphic card. The operating system is WinXP Pro. The input to
> the TV tuner is cable (from Comcast).

Let us know how you get on after you've installed all the bits referred to
on the correct webpage. Note that although DAO/MDAC is the first item on the
webpage, I suggest that you install the bits in this order:
TV Wonder Pro Drivers
Windows Media Encoder 9 (available from link at the top of the page)
DAO/MDAC
MMC 9.03

Note - before you go ahead to install these you should really remove all
traces of the "old" versions of software that you've installed from the TV
Wonder Pro CDROM. I suggest that you also uninstall Gemstar Guide Plus and
the Borland Database component that goes with it for now (I cant remember
its name and cant check because I live in the UK and we dont have Guide Plus
here (nor TV Wonder Pro cards for that matter). You can do this using the
add/remove programs function in control panel. Let us know the names of all
the programs that come up in here if your not sure which ones to uninstall.

> --
> R. Dale Shipp
> dale@_delete_this_min.net

Merry new year!

Paul

In article <41d6709e$0$56207$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>,
p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com says...
> Let us know how you get on after you've installed all the bits referred to
> on the correct webpage. Note that although DAO/MDAC is the first item on the
> webpage, I suggest that you install the bits in this order:
> TV Wonder Pro Drivers

Thanks for your very good reply. Unfortunately, I did not get back
to the newsgroup in time to see it before I decided to toss in the
towel. I took the ATI card back to CompUSA and instead bought a WinTV
Card from Hauppage. I put it in, installed their software and it seems
to be working fine.

Looks like ATI lost a sale because of their sloppy distribution
software disk and their confusing instructions on the web page.

--

> In article <41d6709e$0$56207$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>,
> p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com says...
>> Let us know how you get on after you've installed all the bits referred
>> on the correct webpage. Note that although DAO/MDAC is the first item on
>> the
>> webpage, I suggest that you install the bits in this order:
>> TV Wonder Pro Drivers
>
> Thanks for your very good reply. Unfortunately, I did not get back
> to the newsgroup in time to see it before I decided to toss in the
> towel. I took the ATI card back to CompUSA and instead bought a WinTV
> Card from Hauppage. I put it in, installed their software and it seems
> to be working fine.
>
> Looks like ATI lost a sale because of their sloppy distribution
> software disk and their confusing instructions on the web page.

Not the first time I've heard that! Personally, all of the ATI products I've
ever owned or configured (I used to work as a computer technician), have
worked fine but I understand why less experienced consumers find it hard
going. Pleased to know you've got a fully working machine now.

Paul

In article <41db8a0b$0$73345$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>,
p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com says...

> > Looks like ATI lost a sale because of their sloppy distribution
> > software disk and their confusing instructions on the web page.
> >
> Not the first time I've heard that! Personally, all of the ATI products I've
> ever owned or configured (I used to work as a computer technician), have

It may well have worked fine if they had pointed me to the correct
software to load:-}}

> worked fine but I understand why less experienced consumers find it hard
> going. Pleased to know you've got a fully working machine now.

In this case, less experienced does not apply -- I got on my first
computer more than 45 years ago, and have been doing it ever since.

After about 10 permutations on trying to figure out which software to
use, I gave up. At the rate I normally bill for consultant work, I
could have had myself another brand new 8400 DELL for the time I spent
-- if only there were someone to bill<G>.

--

> In article <41db8a0b$0$73345$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>,
> p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com says...
>> >
>> > Looks like ATI lost a sale because of their sloppy distribution
>> > software disk and their confusing instructions on the web page.
>> >
>> Not the first time I've heard that! Personally, all of the ATI products
>> I've
>> ever owned or configured (I used to work as a computer technician), have
>
> It may well have worked fine if they had pointed me to the correct
> software to load:-}}
>
>> worked fine but I understand why less experienced consumers find it hard
>> going. Pleased to know you've got a fully working machine now.
>>

> In this case, less experienced does not apply -- I got on my first
> computer more than 45 years ago, and have been doing it ever since.
>
> After about 10 permutations on trying to figure out which software to
> use, I gave up. At the rate I normally bill for consultant work, I
> could have had myself another brand new 8400 DELL for the time I spent
> -- if only there were someone to bill<G>.

I'm surprised that an experienced computer professional had difficulty with
setting it up (if that's what you are) because although ATIs driver
locations are a bit hidden when it comes to the TV Wonder Series (not listed
separately under drivers as is the case with their other products), the
driver installation procedure is essentially the same as with other TV Tuner
cards - i.e. install drivers, reboot then install application software for
controlling the card (in this case ATIs MMC) and reboot before attempting to
run it. In my experience computer professionals normally go to the website
of hardware manufacturers first to get the newest drivers and only use
supplied CDROMs if there's nothing newer available.

Even though you've got rid of the TV Wonder, I encourage you to take the
time and write to ATI because I believe they need to be made aware of such
problems from the people encountering the difficulties - otherwise they may
not know it needs fixing - and in what regard.

Paul

TK

Perhaps it was too easy for you? Computers were much harder
in your days Grandpa ;-)

In article <41dd6e56$1_3@127.0.0.1>, tk@home.com says...
> Perhaps it was too easy for you? Computers were much harder
> in your days Grandpa ;-)

:-}} It was harder, lots of toggle switches, punched paper tape, and
all that after walking 2 miles uphill in the snow.

--
R. Dale Shipp
dale@_delete_this_min.net

In article <41dc7da3$0$14616$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>,
p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com says...

> I'm surprised that an experienced computer professional had difficulty with
> setting it up (if that's what you are) because although ATIs driver

So was I.

> locations are a bit hidden when it comes to the TV Wonder Series (not listed
> separately under drivers as is the case with their other products), the
> driver installation procedure is essentially the same as with other TV Tuner
> cards - i.e. install drivers, reboot then install application software for

I think the problems were in part caused by the mis-direction of the
error messages -- things such as "you don't have DirectX installed",
"missing capture driver". As to the first message, I knew they were
wrong. The second message sent me to load the driver I saw that had the
word capture in its description, something that was apparently not the
correct thing to do.

> controlling the card (in this case ATIs MMC) and reboot before attempting to
> run it. In my experience computer professionals normally go to the website
> of hardware manufacturers first to get the newest drivers and only use
> supplied CDROMs if there's nothing newer available.

Did all that, as well as read their FAQs which discussed the problems
I was having. Even those responses had gave inaccurate pointers.

> Even though you've got rid of the TV Wonder, I encourage you to take the
> time and write to ATI because I believe they need to be made aware of such
> problems from the people encountering the difficulties - otherwise they may
> not know it needs fixing - and in what regard.

Based on their FAQs, and on the many messages I found by GOOGLE in
newsgroups and forums, the problems have been around through several
generations and they have known about them. That is the basis of why I
bailed on them.

--

> In article <41dc7da3$0$14616$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>,
> p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com says...
>> locations are a bit hidden when it comes to the TV Wonder Series (not
>> listed
>> separately under drivers as is the case with their other products), the
>> driver installation procedure is essentially the same as with other TV
>> Tuner
>> cards - i.e. install drivers, reboot then install application software
>> for
>
> I think the problems were in part caused by the mis-direction of the
> error messages -- things such as "you don't have DirectX installed",
> "missing capture driver". As to the first message, I knew they were
> wrong. The second message sent me to load the driver I saw that had the
> word capture in its description, something that was apparently not the
> correct thing to do.

The problem had three causes from what I can deduct so far. 1) The CD was
used first and then upgraded (according to what you wrote in your email to
ATI). MMC should never be upgraded. The old version should be completely
removed first the old drivers should be removed, system rebooted then the
new drivers should be installed, system rebooted the new MMC installed and
system rebooted prior to kicking the card into life. Best bet is to keep the
CDROM tucked away with the cards box & unused cables and just use drivers
off the net from the word go. The only bit you'd need the CD for is the
guideplus installation. 2) The ATI website needs much better organisation
when it comes to TV wonder downloads. The best bet would be for the first
columb in the drivers selection page to remain the OS (as is) but the second
columb should be the hardware its for, then the third columb should be the
various software options available (eg drivers/mmc etc). As it is at the
moment the page requires the user to know what software is needed for their
hardware (many people wont know that Multimedia Centre is the software that
controls a TV Wonder for example). 3) As correctly pointed out there are
bugs in OLDER versions of MMC which throw up incorrect errors which dont
exist - newest versions dont have these false errors though.

>> controlling the card (in this case ATIs MMC) and reboot before attempting
>> run it. In my experience computer professionals normally go to the
>> website
>> of hardware manufacturers first to get the newest drivers and only use
>> supplied CDROMs if there's nothing newer available.
>
> Did all that, as well as read their FAQs which discussed the problems
> I was having. Even those responses had gave inaccurate pointers.

Agreed - the website often doesn't match the results/errors obtained with
the latest software.

>> Even though you've got rid of the TV Wonder, I encourage you to take the
>> time and write to ATI because I believe they need to be made aware of
>> such
>> problems from the people encountering the difficulties - otherwise they
>> may
>> not know it needs fixing - and in what regard.
>
> Based on their FAQs, and on the many messages I found by GOOGLE in
> newsgroups and forums, the problems have been around through several
> generations and they have known about them. That is the basis of why I
> bailed on them.

Certainly there are many problems that are present in OLDER versions of
software/drivers but had you stuck it out and done a correct "from the net"
install to begin with, I think you would have been pleasantly surprised with
how well it all worked. I believe even the latest Gemstar Guide Plus version
is buggy though and to get that you have to start with the version on the CD
and upgrade via its built in upgrade menu option. Guide Plus doesn't work
here in the UK so I use Digiguide and the Dabdig plug-in which work together
for similar effect.

Paul