size of cat 4.12 driver package

hi all,

i just downloaded the catalyst 4.12 driver (from ati.com) and i noticed
that the size has gotten smaller. i have the 4.9, 4.10, 4.11 diver and
they are at 26 megs and the 4.12 are 22 megs.

none of the driver have the catalyst control center with them. im
running an ati radeon 9200.

is this normal?

i expected then to grow in size.

bob brozewicz

You have way too much time on your hands...

Much of the bloat comes from supporting multiple languages. If ATi unified
two fonts or dropped a language, the file size would go down.

First of One wrote:
> You have way too much time on your hands...

no i dont have too much time on my hands! i have been a systems
programmer (mainframe) for many years and you just notice things like
that. besides, there all in the same directory so it kinda made it easy
to notice.

> Much of the bloat comes from supporting multiple languages. If ATi unified
> two fonts or dropped a language, the file size would go down.

can you show me where ati unified two fronts or dropped a language? i
see what has improved and the current know issue listed in "fixed in
this driver" and "release notice". what i see would make me believe the
file sizes would grow with the improvements.

i guess what i really wanted to ask was, are these the 4.12 drivers
being smaller. i thought that maybe i missed something addition i needed
to download.

> can you show me where ati unified two fronts or dropped a language? i
> see what has improved and the current know issue listed in "fixed in
> this driver" and "release notice". what i see would make me believe the
> file sizes would grow with the improvements.

You have way too much time on your hands. :)

Things like unifying two fonts would not be listed in public documentation
because they are transparent to the user. Anyway, that's only speculation.

However, the Catalyst Control Center (but not the drivers) in fact did have
*five* foreign languages removed going between 4.11 and 4.12.

> i guess what i really wanted to ask was, are these the 4.12 drivers
> being smaller. i thought that maybe i missed something addition i needed
> to download.

Nope, nothing's missing.

I believe that the file size has decreased because of improvements to the
packaging compression and method. The extracted driver set is probably
actually slightly larger in size.

--
Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com