Problem after upgrading to SP2

My husband finally bit the bullet and installed SP2 on his desktop. He has
run into a problem that has me stumped.

We are using a Linksys wireless router and are trying to set things up so
that everyone can see and access files & Printers on our little 4+ computer
network. We are all running XP Pro. He is wired to the router with 2
wireless laptops plus one other wired desktop.

When he upgraded to SP2 we lost the ability to connect to his computer. We
can see his computer under 'My Network Places' but we can not connect. He
CAN connect to us however but not the other way around. I disabled his
Windows Firewall the other day and I could connect to his computer. As soon
as I enable the firewall again access is blocked again. I'm stumped because
when I upgraded my laptop to SP2 I did not have to change any firewall
settings to continue to see the network including his machine.

I have compared our firewall settings and they are the same so I don't know
what setting needs to be changed at this point. And yes, file sharing is
enabled. Guest account is enabled. Simple file sharing is also enabled.

What am I missing?

TIA,
Laura
10 answers Last reply
More about problem upgrading

    Check the firewall settings and ensure that File and Print Sharing are allowed as exceptions.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message news:aAlje.796514$w62.674976@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > My husband finally bit the bullet and installed SP2 on his desktop. He has
    > run into a problem that has me stumped.
    >
    > We are using a Linksys wireless router and are trying to set things up so
    > that everyone can see and access files & Printers on our little 4+ computer
    > network. We are all running XP Pro. He is wired to the router with 2
    > wireless laptops plus one other wired desktop.
    >
    > When he upgraded to SP2 we lost the ability to connect to his computer. We
    > can see his computer under 'My Network Places' but we can not connect. He
    > CAN connect to us however but not the other way around. I disabled his
    > Windows Firewall the other day and I could connect to his computer. As soon
    > as I enable the firewall again access is blocked again. I'm stumped because
    > when I upgraded my laptop to SP2 I did not have to change any firewall
    > settings to continue to see the network including his machine.
    >
    > I have compared our firewall settings and they are the same so I don't know
    > what setting needs to be changed at this point. And yes, file sharing is
    > enabled. Guest account is enabled. Simple file sharing is also enabled.
    >
    > What am I missing?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Laura

    Try the following:

    Disconnect the cable from the router, unplug the power
    to the router, wait 2 minutes, reconnect the cable to the
    router, then return power to the router.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Laura" wrote:

    | My husband finally bit the bullet and installed SP2 on his desktop. He has
    | run into a problem that has me stumped.
    |
    | We are using a Linksys wireless router and are trying to set things up so
    | that everyone can see and access files & Printers on our little 4+ computer
    | network. We are all running XP Pro. He is wired to the router with 2
    | wireless laptops plus one other wired desktop.
    |
    | When he upgraded to SP2 we lost the ability to connect to his computer. We
    | can see his computer under 'My Network Places' but we can not connect. He
    | CAN connect to us however but not the other way around. I disabled his
    | Windows Firewall the other day and I could connect to his computer. As soon
    | as I enable the firewall again access is blocked again. I'm stumped because
    | when I upgraded my laptop to SP2 I did not have to change any firewall
    | settings to continue to see the network including his machine.
    |
    | I have compared our firewall settings and they are the same so I don't know
    | what setting needs to be changed at this point. And yes, file sharing is
    | enabled. Guest account is enabled. Simple file sharing is also enabled.
    |
    | What am I missing?
    |
    | TIA,
    | Laura

    Yes it is. That's what I meant when I said that File sharing was enabled. Or
    are there multiple places to enable file sharing?

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    Check the firewall settings and ensure that File and Print Sharing are
    allowed as exceptions.

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display\Security
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
    > My husband finally bit the bullet and installed SP2 on his desktop. He has
    > run into a problem that has me stumped.
    >
    > We are using a Linksys wireless router and are trying to set things up so
    > that everyone can see and access files & Printers on our little 4+
    > computer
    > network. We are all running XP Pro. He is wired to the router with 2
    > wireless laptops plus one other wired desktop.
    >
    > When he upgraded to SP2 we lost the ability to connect to his computer. We
    > can see his computer under 'My Network Places' but we can not connect. He
    > CAN connect to us however but not the other way around. I disabled his
    > Windows Firewall the other day and I could connect to his computer. As
    > soon
    > as I enable the firewall again access is blocked again. I'm stumped
    > because
    > when I upgraded my laptop to SP2 I did not have to change any firewall
    > settings to continue to see the network including his machine.
    >
    > I have compared our firewall settings and they are the same so I don't
    > know
    > what setting needs to be changed at this point. And yes, file sharing is
    > enabled. Guest account is enabled. Simple file sharing is also enabled.
    >
    > What am I missing?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Laura

    Hi Laura,

    It definitely sounds like its firewall related. The following from http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm may help.

    Firewall blocks LAN connection

    The new firewall blocks file and printer sharing and pinging by default. To allow this again, open the Windows Firewall settings in Control Panel. Use the Exceptions tab and check the File and Printer Sharing entry, which should now, by default, be set only for the local subnet, i.e. your LAN on the near side of any routers. This also reenables ping responses and allows the browser service to start. Reboot to allow the service to start or start the service by hand.

    If you want only ping responses without file and printer sharing, click on the Advanced tab, then the ICMP Settings button. Check "Allow incoming echo request".

    If, however, you need full and free communications for any type of connection, then use the third tab, Advanced, and remove the check mark from your LAN (Local Area Network) interface to allow full local connectivity for all types of traffic. This is obviously more risky and usually not necessary. Don't do it unless you are certain that all other local computers can never pose a danger. Consider that every laptop or guest computer brought into the LAN can bring a virus along.

    The better alternative is to leave the firewall enabled even for the LAN interface, i.e. for your local area network, and open only the services that are actually needed, i.e. any server functions the computer may have. Here you also have the choice to open these server functions only for the local subnet. You can also allow the first ICMP function (echo, ping) or all of them.

    "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message news:v4nje.232673$cg1.156149@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > Yes it is. That's what I meant when I said that File sharing was enabled. Or
    > are there multiple places to enable file sharing?
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Check the firewall settings and ensure that File and Print Sharing are
    > allowed as exceptions.
    >
    > --
    > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    > Display\Security
    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
    >> My husband finally bit the bullet and installed SP2 on his desktop. He has
    >> run into a problem that has me stumped.
    >>
    >> We are using a Linksys wireless router and are trying to set things up so
    >> that everyone can see and access files & Printers on our little 4+
    >> computer
    >> network. We are all running XP Pro. He is wired to the router with 2
    >> wireless laptops plus one other wired desktop.
    >>
    >> When he upgraded to SP2 we lost the ability to connect to his computer. We
    >> can see his computer under 'My Network Places' but we can not connect. He
    >> CAN connect to us however but not the other way around. I disabled his
    >> Windows Firewall the other day and I could connect to his computer. As
    >> soon
    >> as I enable the firewall again access is blocked again. I'm stumped
    >> because
    >> when I upgraded my laptop to SP2 I did not have to change any firewall
    >> settings to continue to see the network including his machine.
    >>
    >> I have compared our firewall settings and they are the same so I don't
    >> know
    >> what setting needs to be changed at this point. And yes, file sharing is
    >> enabled. Guest account is enabled. Simple file sharing is also enabled.
    >>
    >> What am I missing?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Laura

    And what is this suppose to accomplish? Will I lose all my wireless settings
    if I power down the router?

    > Try the following:
    >
    > Disconnect the cable from the router, unplug the power
    > to the router, wait 2 minutes, reconnect the cable to the
    > router, then return power to the router.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Laura" wrote:
    >
    > | My husband finally bit the bullet and installed SP2 on his desktop. He
    > has
    > | run into a problem that has me stumped.
    > |
    > | We are using a Linksys wireless router and are trying to set things up
    > so
    > | that everyone can see and access files & Printers on our little 4+
    > computer
    > | network. We are all running XP Pro. He is wired to the router with 2
    > | wireless laptops plus one other wired desktop.
    > |
    > | When he upgraded to SP2 we lost the ability to connect to his computer.
    > We
    > | can see his computer under 'My Network Places' but we can not connect.
    > He
    > | CAN connect to us however but not the other way around. I disabled his
    > | Windows Firewall the other day and I could connect to his computer. As
    > soon
    > | as I enable the firewall again access is blocked again. I'm stumped
    > because
    > | when I upgraded my laptop to SP2 I did not have to change any firewall
    > | settings to continue to see the network including his machine.
    > |
    > | I have compared our firewall settings and they are the same so I don't
    > know
    > | what setting needs to be changed at this point. And yes, file sharing is
    > | enabled. Guest account is enabled. Simple file sharing is also enabled.
    > |
    > | What am I missing?
    > |
    > | TIA,
    > | Laura

    It reboots the router, like rebooting your computer. You won't lose any
    settings.

    Tom
    | And what is this suppose to accomplish? Will I lose all my wireless
    settings
    | if I power down the router?
    |
    | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    | > Try the following:
    | >
    | > Disconnect the cable from the router, unplug the power
    | > to the router, wait 2 minutes, reconnect the cable to the
    | > router, then return power to the router.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Carey Frisch
    | > Microsoft MVP
    | > Windows XP - Shell/User
    | > Microsoft Newsgroups
    | >
    | > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    | > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    | > "Laura" wrote:
    | >
    | > | My husband finally bit the bullet and installed SP2 on his desktop. He
    | > has
    | > | run into a problem that has me stumped.
    | > |
    | > | We are using a Linksys wireless router and are trying to set things up
    | > so
    | > | that everyone can see and access files & Printers on our little 4+
    | > computer
    | > | network. We are all running XP Pro. He is wired to the router with 2
    | > | wireless laptops plus one other wired desktop.
    | > |
    | > | When he upgraded to SP2 we lost the ability to connect to his
    computer.
    | > We
    | > | can see his computer under 'My Network Places' but we can not connect.
    | > He
    | > | CAN connect to us however but not the other way around. I disabled his
    | > | Windows Firewall the other day and I could connect to his computer. As
    | > soon
    | > | as I enable the firewall again access is blocked again. I'm stumped
    | > because
    | > | when I upgraded my laptop to SP2 I did not have to change any firewall
    | > | settings to continue to see the network including his machine.
    | > |
    | > | I have compared our firewall settings and they are the same so I don't
    | > know
    | > | what setting needs to be changed at this point. And yes, file sharing
    is
    | > | enabled. Guest account is enabled. Simple file sharing is also
    enabled.
    | > |
    | > | What am I missing?
    | > |

    Hi Laura,

    It definitely sounds like its firewall related. The following from
    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm may help.

    Firewall blocks LAN connection

    The new firewall blocks file and printer sharing and pinging by default. To
    allow this again, open the Windows Firewall settings in Control Panel. Use
    the Exceptions tab and check the File and Printer Sharing entry, which
    should now, by default, be set only for the local subnet, i.e. your LAN on
    the near side of any routers. This also reenables ping responses and allows
    the browser service to start. Reboot to allow the service to start or start
    the service by hand.

    If you want only ping responses without file and printer sharing, click on
    the Advanced tab, then the ICMP Settings button. Check "Allow incoming echo
    request".

    If, however, you need full and free communications for any type of
    connection, then use the third tab, Advanced, and remove the check mark from
    your LAN (Local Area Network) interface to allow full local connectivity for
    all types of traffic. This is obviously more risky and usually not
    necessary. Don't do it unless you are certain that all other local computers
    can never pose a danger. Consider that every laptop or guest computer
    brought into the LAN can bring a virus along.

    The better alternative is to leave the firewall enabled even for the LAN
    interface, i.e. for your local area network, and open only the services that
    are actually needed, i.e. any server functions the computer may have. Here
    you also have the choice to open these server functions only for the local
    subnet. You can also allow the first ICMP function (echo, ping) or all of
    them.

    any more thoughts?

    The Browser service is the Computer Browser service and can be found by going to Start, Run and entering SERVICES.MSC.

    Is there a particular error message when you try to connect to his computer?

    "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message news:oloje.232906$cg1.59437@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi Laura,
    >
    > It definitely sounds like its firewall related. The following from
    > http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm may help.
    >
    > Firewall blocks LAN connection
    >
    > The new firewall blocks file and printer sharing and pinging by default. To
    > allow this again, open the Windows Firewall settings in Control Panel. Use
    > the Exceptions tab and check the File and Printer Sharing entry, which
    > should now, by default, be set only for the local subnet, i.e. your LAN on
    > the near side of any routers. This also reenables ping responses and allows
    > the browser service to start. Reboot to allow the service to start or start
    > the service by hand.

    > If you want only ping responses without file and printer sharing, click on
    > the Advanced tab, then the ICMP Settings button. Check "Allow incoming echo
    > request".

    > If, however, you need full and free communications for any type of
    > connection, then use the third tab, Advanced, and remove the check mark from
    > your LAN (Local Area Network) interface to allow full local connectivity for
    > all types of traffic. This is obviously more risky and usually not
    > necessary. Don't do it unless you are certain that all other local computers
    > can never pose a danger. Consider that every laptop or guest computer
    > brought into the LAN can bring a virus along.

    > The better alternative is to leave the firewall enabled even for the LAN
    > interface, i.e. for your local area network, and open only the services that
    > are actually needed, i.e. any server functions the computer may have. Here
    > you also have the choice to open these server functions only for the local
    > subnet. You can also allow the first ICMP function (echo, ping) or all of
    > them.

    > any more thoughts?

    Done. No change with this issue.

    "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > It reboots the router, like rebooting your computer. You won't lose any
    > settings.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
    > | And what is this suppose to accomplish? Will I lose all my wireless
    > settings
    > | if I power down the router?
    > |
    > | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    > | > Try the following:
    > | >
    > | > Disconnect the cable from the router, unplug the power
    > | > to the router, wait 2 minutes, reconnect the cable to the
    > | > router, then return power to the router.
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Carey Frisch
    > | > Microsoft MVP
    > | > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > | > Microsoft Newsgroups
    > | >
    > | > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    > | > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
    > | >

    > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    > He
    > | > has
    > | > |
    > up
    > | > so
    > | > computer
    > | > |
    > computer.
    > | > We
    > connect.
    > | > He
    > his
    > As
    > | > soon
    > | > because
    > firewall
    > | > |
    > don't
    > | > know
    > sharing
    > is
    > enabled.
    > | > |
    > | > |

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    The message is:

    \\computername is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    network resource. Contact the administrator of thie server to find out if
    you have access permissions. The network path was not found.

    I'll check the Browser service but I can't imagine it being disabled. This
    did work prior to upgrading to SP2.

    The Browser service is the Computer Browser service and can be found by
    going to Start, Run and entering SERVICES.MSC.

    Is there a particular error message when you try to connect to his computer?

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display\Security
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message

    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi Laura,
    >
    > It definitely sounds like its firewall related. The following from
    > http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm may help.
    >
    > Firewall blocks LAN connection
    >
    > The new firewall blocks file and printer sharing and pinging by default.
    > allow this again, open the Windows Firewall settings in Control Panel. Use
    > the Exceptions tab and check the File and Printer Sharing entry, which
    > should now, by default, be set only for the local subnet, i.e. your LAN on
    > the near side of any routers. This also reenables ping responses and
    > allows
    > the browser service to start. Reboot to allow the service to start or
    > start
    > the service by hand.

    > If you want only ping responses without file and printer sharing, click on
    > the Advanced tab, then the ICMP Settings button. Check "Allow incoming
    > echo
    > request".

    > If, however, you need full and free communications for any type of
    > connection, then use the third tab, Advanced, and remove the check mark
    > from
    > your LAN (Local Area Network) interface to allow full local connectivity
    > for
    > all types of traffic. This is obviously more risky and usually not
    > necessary. Don't do it unless you are certain that all other local
    > computers
    > can never pose a danger. Consider that every laptop or guest computer
    > brought into the LAN can bring a virus along.

    > The better alternative is to leave the firewall enabled even for the LAN
    > interface, i.e. for your local area network, and open only the services
    > that
    > are actually needed, i.e. any server functions the computer may have. Here
    > you also have the choice to open these server functions only for the local
    > subnet. You can also allow the first ICMP function (echo, ping) or all of
    > them.

    > any more thoughts?

Computers Windows XP