Problem after upgrading to SP2

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
May 20, 2005 5:26:30 PM

My husband finally bit the bullet and installed SP2 on his desktop. He has
run into a problem that has me stumped.

We are using a Linksys wireless router and are trying to set things up so
that everyone can see and access files & Printers on our little 4+ computer
network. We are all running XP Pro. He is wired to the router with 2
wireless laptops plus one other wired desktop.

When he upgraded to SP2 we lost the ability to connect to his computer. We
can see his computer under 'My Network Places' but we can not connect. He
CAN connect to us however but not the other way around. I disabled his
Windows Firewall the other day and I could connect to his computer. As soon
as I enable the firewall again access is blocked again. I'm stumped because
when I upgraded my laptop to SP2 I did not have to change any firewall
settings to continue to see the network including his machine.

I have compared our firewall settings and they are the same so I don't know
what setting needs to be changed at this point. And yes, file sharing is
enabled. Guest account is enabled. Simple file sharing is also enabled.

What am I missing?

TIA,
Laura

More about : problem upgrading sp2

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 5:26:31 PM

Check the firewall settings and ensure that File and Print Sharing are allowed as exceptions.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message news:aAlje.796514$w62.674976@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> My husband finally bit the bullet and installed SP2 on his desktop. He has
> run into a problem that has me stumped.
>
> We are using a Linksys wireless router and are trying to set things up so
> that everyone can see and access files & Printers on our little 4+ computer
> network. We are all running XP Pro. He is wired to the router with 2
> wireless laptops plus one other wired desktop.
>
> When he upgraded to SP2 we lost the ability to connect to his computer. We
> can see his computer under 'My Network Places' but we can not connect. He
> CAN connect to us however but not the other way around. I disabled his
> Windows Firewall the other day and I could connect to his computer. As soon
> as I enable the firewall again access is blocked again. I'm stumped because
> when I upgraded my laptop to SP2 I did not have to change any firewall
> settings to continue to see the network including his machine.
>
> I have compared our firewall settings and they are the same so I don't know
> what setting needs to be changed at this point. And yes, file sharing is
> enabled. Guest account is enabled. Simple file sharing is also enabled.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> TIA,
> Laura

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 5:26:31 PM

Try the following:

Disconnect the cable from the router, unplug the power
to the router, wait 2 minutes, reconnect the cable to the
router, then return power to the router.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Laura" wrote:

| My husband finally bit the bullet and installed SP2 on his desktop. He has
| run into a problem that has me stumped.
|
| We are using a Linksys wireless router and are trying to set things up so
| that everyone can see and access files & Printers on our little 4+ computer
| network. We are all running XP Pro. He is wired to the router with 2
| wireless laptops plus one other wired desktop.
|
| When he upgraded to SP2 we lost the ability to connect to his computer. We
| can see his computer under 'My Network Places' but we can not connect. He
| CAN connect to us however but not the other way around. I disabled his
| Windows Firewall the other day and I could connect to his computer. As soon
| as I enable the firewall again access is blocked again. I'm stumped because
| when I upgraded my laptop to SP2 I did not have to change any firewall
| settings to continue to see the network including his machine.
|
| I have compared our firewall settings and they are the same so I don't know
| what setting needs to be changed at this point. And yes, file sharing is
| enabled. Guest account is enabled. Simple file sharing is also enabled.
|
| What am I missing?
|
| TIA,
| Laura
Related resources
May 20, 2005 7:09:15 PM

Yes it is. That's what I meant when I said that File sharing was enabled. Or
are there multiple places to enable file sharing?

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
Check the firewall settings and ensure that File and Print Sharing are
allowed as exceptions.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
> My husband finally bit the bullet and installed SP2 on his desktop. He has
> run into a problem that has me stumped.
>
> We are using a Linksys wireless router and are trying to set things up so
> that everyone can see and access files & Printers on our little 4+
> computer
> network. We are all running XP Pro. He is wired to the router with 2
> wireless laptops plus one other wired desktop.
>
> When he upgraded to SP2 we lost the ability to connect to his computer. We
> can see his computer under 'My Network Places' but we can not connect. He
> CAN connect to us however but not the other way around. I disabled his
> Windows Firewall the other day and I could connect to his computer. As
> soon
> as I enable the firewall again access is blocked again. I'm stumped
> because
> when I upgraded my laptop to SP2 I did not have to change any firewall
> settings to continue to see the network including his machine.
>
> I have compared our firewall settings and they are the same so I don't
> know
> what setting needs to be changed at this point. And yes, file sharing is
> enabled. Guest account is enabled. Simple file sharing is also enabled.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> TIA,
> Laura

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 7:09:16 PM

Hi Laura,

It definitely sounds like its firewall related. The following from http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm may help.

Firewall blocks LAN connection

The new firewall blocks file and printer sharing and pinging by default. To allow this again, open the Windows Firewall settings in Control Panel. Use the Exceptions tab and check the File and Printer Sharing entry, which should now, by default, be set only for the local subnet, i.e. your LAN on the near side of any routers. This also reenables ping responses and allows the browser service to start. Reboot to allow the service to start or start the service by hand.

If you want only ping responses without file and printer sharing, click on the Advanced tab, then the ICMP Settings button. Check "Allow incoming echo request".

If, however, you need full and free communications for any type of connection, then use the third tab, Advanced, and remove the check mark from your LAN (Local Area Network) interface to allow full local connectivity for all types of traffic. This is obviously more risky and usually not necessary. Don't do it unless you are certain that all other local computers can never pose a danger. Consider that every laptop or guest computer brought into the LAN can bring a virus along.

The better alternative is to leave the firewall enabled even for the LAN interface, i.e. for your local area network, and open only the services that are actually needed, i.e. any server functions the computer may have. Here you also have the choice to open these server functions only for the local subnet. You can also allow the first ICMP function (echo, ping) or all of them.

"Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message news:v4nje.232673$cg1.156149@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Yes it is. That's what I meant when I said that File sharing was enabled. Or
> are there multiple places to enable file sharing?
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Check the firewall settings and ensure that File and Print Sharing are
> allowed as exceptions.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
> Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
>> My husband finally bit the bullet and installed SP2 on his desktop. He has
>> run into a problem that has me stumped.
>>
>> We are using a Linksys wireless router and are trying to set things up so
>> that everyone can see and access files & Printers on our little 4+
>> computer
>> network. We are all running XP Pro. He is wired to the router with 2
>> wireless laptops plus one other wired desktop.
>>
>> When he upgraded to SP2 we lost the ability to connect to his computer. We
>> can see his computer under 'My Network Places' but we can not connect. He
>> CAN connect to us however but not the other way around. I disabled his
>> Windows Firewall the other day and I could connect to his computer. As
>> soon
>> as I enable the firewall again access is blocked again. I'm stumped
>> because
>> when I upgraded my laptop to SP2 I did not have to change any firewall
>> settings to continue to see the network including his machine.
>>
>> I have compared our firewall settings and they are the same so I don't
>> know
>> what setting needs to be changed at this point. And yes, file sharing is
>> enabled. Guest account is enabled. Simple file sharing is also enabled.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Laura

May 20, 2005 7:10:30 PM

And what is this suppose to accomplish? Will I lose all my wireless settings
if I power down the router?

> Try the following:
>
> Disconnect the cable from the router, unplug the power
> to the router, wait 2 minutes, reconnect the cable to the
> router, then return power to the router.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Laura" wrote:
>
> | My husband finally bit the bullet and installed SP2 on his desktop. He
> has
> | run into a problem that has me stumped.
> |
> | We are using a Linksys wireless router and are trying to set things up
> so
> | that everyone can see and access files & Printers on our little 4+
> computer
> | network. We are all running XP Pro. He is wired to the router with 2
> | wireless laptops plus one other wired desktop.
> |
> | When he upgraded to SP2 we lost the ability to connect to his computer.
> We
> | can see his computer under 'My Network Places' but we can not connect.
> He
> | CAN connect to us however but not the other way around. I disabled his
> | Windows Firewall the other day and I could connect to his computer. As
> soon
> | as I enable the firewall again access is blocked again. I'm stumped
> because
> | when I upgraded my laptop to SP2 I did not have to change any firewall
> | settings to continue to see the network including his machine.
> |
> | I have compared our firewall settings and they are the same so I don't
> know
> | what setting needs to be changed at this point. And yes, file sharing is
> | enabled. Guest account is enabled. Simple file sharing is also enabled.
> |
> | What am I missing?
> |
> | TIA,
> | Laura

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 7:10:31 PM

It reboots the router, like rebooting your computer. You won't lose any
settings.

Tom
| And what is this suppose to accomplish? Will I lose all my wireless
settings
| if I power down the router?
|
| "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
| > Try the following:
| >
| > Disconnect the cable from the router, unplug the power
| > to the router, wait 2 minutes, reconnect the cable to the
| > router, then return power to the router.
| >
| > --
| > Carey Frisch
| > Microsoft MVP
| > Windows XP - Shell/User
| > Microsoft Newsgroups
| >
| > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
| > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

| > "Laura" wrote:
| >
| > | My husband finally bit the bullet and installed SP2 on his desktop. He
| > has
| > | run into a problem that has me stumped.
| > |
| > | We are using a Linksys wireless router and are trying to set things up
| > so
| > | that everyone can see and access files & Printers on our little 4+
| > computer
| > | network. We are all running XP Pro. He is wired to the router with 2
| > | wireless laptops plus one other wired desktop.
| > |
| > | When he upgraded to SP2 we lost the ability to connect to his
computer.
| > We
| > | can see his computer under 'My Network Places' but we can not connect.
| > He
| > | CAN connect to us however but not the other way around. I disabled his
| > | Windows Firewall the other day and I could connect to his computer. As
| > soon
| > | as I enable the firewall again access is blocked again. I'm stumped
| > because
| > | when I upgraded my laptop to SP2 I did not have to change any firewall
| > | settings to continue to see the network including his machine.
| > |
| > | I have compared our firewall settings and they are the same so I don't
| > know
| > | what setting needs to be changed at this point. And yes, file sharing
is
| > | enabled. Guest account is enabled. Simple file sharing is also
enabled.
| > |
| > | What am I missing?
| > |
| > | TIA,
| > | Laura

May 20, 2005 8:35:32 PM

Hi Laura,

It definitely sounds like its firewall related. The following from
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm may help.

Firewall blocks LAN connection

The new firewall blocks file and printer sharing and pinging by default. To
allow this again, open the Windows Firewall settings in Control Panel. Use
the Exceptions tab and check the File and Printer Sharing entry, which
should now, by default, be set only for the local subnet, i.e. your LAN on
the near side of any routers. This also reenables ping responses and allows
the browser service to start. Reboot to allow the service to start or start
the service by hand.

If you want only ping responses without file and printer sharing, click on
the Advanced tab, then the ICMP Settings button. Check "Allow incoming echo
request".

If, however, you need full and free communications for any type of
connection, then use the third tab, Advanced, and remove the check mark from
your LAN (Local Area Network) interface to allow full local connectivity for
all types of traffic. This is obviously more risky and usually not
necessary. Don't do it unless you are certain that all other local computers
can never pose a danger. Consider that every laptop or guest computer
brought into the LAN can bring a virus along.

The better alternative is to leave the firewall enabled even for the LAN
interface, i.e. for your local area network, and open only the services that
are actually needed, i.e. any server functions the computer may have. Here
you also have the choice to open these server functions only for the local
subnet. You can also allow the first ICMP function (echo, ping) or all of
them.

any more thoughts?
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 8:35:33 PM

The Browser service is the Computer Browser service and can be found by going to Start, Run and entering SERVICES.MSC.

Is there a particular error message when you try to connect to his computer?

"Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message news:o loje.232906$cg1.59437@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi Laura,
>
> It definitely sounds like its firewall related. The following from
> http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm may help.
>
> Firewall blocks LAN connection
>
> The new firewall blocks file and printer sharing and pinging by default. To
> allow this again, open the Windows Firewall settings in Control Panel. Use
> the Exceptions tab and check the File and Printer Sharing entry, which
> should now, by default, be set only for the local subnet, i.e. your LAN on
> the near side of any routers. This also reenables ping responses and allows
> the browser service to start. Reboot to allow the service to start or start
> the service by hand.

> If you want only ping responses without file and printer sharing, click on
> the Advanced tab, then the ICMP Settings button. Check "Allow incoming echo
> request".

> If, however, you need full and free communications for any type of
> connection, then use the third tab, Advanced, and remove the check mark from
> your LAN (Local Area Network) interface to allow full local connectivity for
> all types of traffic. This is obviously more risky and usually not
> necessary. Don't do it unless you are certain that all other local computers
> can never pose a danger. Consider that every laptop or guest computer
> brought into the LAN can bring a virus along.

> The better alternative is to leave the firewall enabled even for the LAN
> interface, i.e. for your local area network, and open only the services that
> are actually needed, i.e. any server functions the computer may have. Here
> you also have the choice to open these server functions only for the local
> subnet. You can also allow the first ICMP function (echo, ping) or all of
> them.

> any more thoughts?

May 20, 2005 8:35:55 PM

Done. No change with this issue.

"Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.org> wrote in message
> It reboots the router, like rebooting your computer. You won't lose any
> settings.
>
> Tom
> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
> | And what is this suppose to accomplish? Will I lose all my wireless
> settings
> | if I power down the router?
> |
> | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> | > Try the following:
> | >
> | > Disconnect the cable from the router, unplug the power
> | > to the router, wait 2 minutes, reconnect the cable to the
> | > router, then return power to the router.
> | >
> | > --
> | > Carey Frisch
> | > Microsoft MVP
> | > Windows XP - Shell/User
> | > Microsoft Newsgroups
> | >
> | > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> | > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
> | >

> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> He
> | > has
> | > |
> up
> | > so
> | > computer
> | > |
> computer.
> | > We
> connect.
> | > He
> his
> As
> | > soon
> | > because
> firewall
> | > |
> don't
> | > know
> sharing
> is
> enabled.
> | > |
> | > |

May 20, 2005 9:59:17 PM

The message is:

\\computername is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of thie server to find out if
you have access permissions. The network path was not found.

I'll check the Browser service but I can't imagine it being disabled. This
did work prior to upgrading to SP2.

!