Closed

steam divides but piracy UNITS!

Last response: in Video Games
January 28, 2005 11:51:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On 27 Jan 2005, mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

<snip>

> For PC gaming the message is the same as always: Unless piracy can be
> brought under control, or console piracy rises drastically, PC sales
> aren't ever going to match those of the consoles, and as long as PC
> sales don't match console sales, PC gaming will play second fiddle.

these words really make me very sad

i've been pointing my guns to steam but probably i should also not
forget piracy

piracy should be the big unifying issue to pc gamers
piracy is no doubt the most damaging problem in todays pc games

steam divide us
but piracy will obviously unit us
so lets put aside steam for a moment and fight piracy together!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 28, 2005 11:51:53 AM

difool wrote:
> > so lets put aside steam for a moment and fight piracy together!

Your right! Sign me up now!
What we need is some way to make copying discs a pointless exercise. If
the only anti-piracy measure in a game is a local CD check, or entering
a CD-Key at install, then you can make multiple copies of that disc and
its CD-Key and distribute them around the world. The CD-Key is only
checked locally on the user's PC, so every one of those copied discs
will work as well as a legal retail copy.

We need something stronger, to prevent this happening.

How about a system were the CD-Key is registered on some kind of
central database? Once registered, no-one else can use that key, so
it's pointless copying and distributing the disc. You could also make
patches, online gaming and extras like the SDK only available to the
original registrant, which increases the reliance on the
central-registry concept and makes piracy even more pointless.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:51:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Give it up difool you sad little waste of space!!!
January 28, 2005 11:51:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

What a great Idea!

But it needs a catchy name.

What about...

Vapour?

chadwick110@hotmail.com wrote:
> difool wrote:
> > > so lets put aside steam for a moment and fight piracy together!
>
> Your right! Sign me up now!
> What we need is some way to make copying discs a pointless exercise.
If
> the only anti-piracy measure in a game is a local CD check, or
entering
> a CD-Key at install, then you can make multiple copies of that disc
and
> its CD-Key and distribute them around the world. The CD-Key is only
> checked locally on the user's PC, so every one of those copied discs
> will work as well as a legal retail copy.
>
> We need something stronger, to prevent this happening.
>
> How about a system were the CD-Key is registered on some kind of
> central database? Once registered, no-one else can use that key, so
> it's pointless copying and distributing the disc. You could also make
> patches, online gaming and extras like the SDK only available to the
> original registrant, which increases the reliance on the
> central-registry concept and makes piracy even more pointless.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:51:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

>but piracy will obviously unit us

To be frank, I think we should all stay as far from
possible from eachother's units.

C//
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:51:53 AM

DalienX wrote:

> IVe got a better idea, how about the game makers charge a more
> reasonable price for their bloody games, $90 for a game? as if...
> if all new games were $20 who would bother copying them ?

They'd have to sell nearly five times as many boxes to get the same
return on their money, that's why.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:38:46 PM

tatemodern@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> What a great Idea!
>
> But it needs a catchy name.
>
> What about...
>
> Vapour?

You spelled Vapor wrong ;-)
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:47:23 PM

Courageous wrote:

>>but piracy will obviously unit us
>

> To be frank, I think we should all stay as far from
> possible from eachother's units.

What about those that like other units? ;-)
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:47:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

>> To be frank, I think we should all stay as far from
>> possible from eachother's units.

>What about those that like other units? ;-)

Well, this is America and all. Perhaps I can just studiously
avoid knowledge of those who like other units. Don't ask, don't
tell.

C//
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 2:40:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

chadwick110@hotmail.com wrote:

> How about a system were the CD-Key is registered on some kind of
> central database? Once registered, no-one else can use that key, so
> it's pointless copying and distributing the disc. You could also make
> patches, online gaming and extras like the SDK only available to the
> original registrant, which increases the reliance on the
> central-registry concept and makes piracy even more pointless.

IVe got a better idea, how about the game makers charge a more
reasonable price for their bloody games, $90 for a game? as if...
if all new games were $20 who would bother copying them ?

--
DalienX
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 2:40:38 PM

DalienX wrote:

> chadwick110@hotmail.com wrote:
>

>>How about a system were the CD-Key is registered on some kind of
>>central database? Once registered, no-one else can use that key, so
>>it's pointless copying and distributing the disc. You could also make
>>patches, online gaming and extras like the SDK only available to the
>>original registrant, which increases the reliance on the
>>central-registry concept and makes piracy even more pointless.
>

> IVe got a better idea, how about the game makers charge a more
> reasonable price for their bloody games, $90 for a game? as if...
> if all new games were $20 who would bother copying them ?

There are $90 games?
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 2:57:44 PM

Courageous wrote:

>>>To be frank, I think we should all stay as far from
>>>possible from eachother's units.
>

>>What about those that like other units? ;-)
>

> Well, this is America and all. Perhaps I can just studiously
> avoid knowledge of those who like other units. Don't ask, don't
> tell.

And ban the heathens that do!
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 3:07:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Yeah, sorry about that. I was reading the thread on how realistic gun
fire noise is in video games. I was debating whether I could
contribute with my British .22 rifle shooting experience from when I
was a cadet...
eeek! Gotta go, here comes a policeman with a truncheon.....!
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 3:13:26 PM

DalienX wrote:
> chadwick110@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> How about a system were the CD-Key is registered on some kind of
>> central database? Once registered, no-one else can use that key, so
>> it's pointless copying and distributing the disc. You could also make
>> patches, online gaming and extras like the SDK only available to the
>> original registrant, which increases the reliance on the
>> central-registry concept and makes piracy even more pointless.
>
> IVe got a better idea, how about the game makers charge a more
> reasonable price for their bloody games, $90 for a game? as if...
> if all new games were $20 who would bother copying them ?

Probably the people who copy CD's which cost less than 20 bucks, or movies
which costs 5 bucks to rent or...

--
January 28, 2005 3:36:08 PM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:40:37 GMT, "DalienX" <somewhere@earth.com>
wrote:

>IVe got a better idea, how about the game makers charge a more
>reasonable price for their bloody games, $90 for a game? as if...
>if all new games were $20 who would bother copying them ?

Yeah, because nobody copies music that costs less than $20 do they?
*sigh*
January 28, 2005 4:18:20 PM

Andrew wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:40:37 GMT, "DalienX" <somewhere@earth.com>
> wrote:
>
> > IVe got a better idea, how about the game makers charge a more
> > reasonable price for their bloody games, $90 for a game? as if...
> > if all new games were $20 who would bother copying them ?
>
> Yeah, because nobody copies music that costs less than $20 do they?
> *sigh*

yeah right, what cd's cost less than $20 ? cd singles? well nobody
copys them

--
DalienX
January 28, 2005 4:18:21 PM

"DalienX" <somewhere@earth.com> wrote in message
> Andrew wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:40:37 GMT, "DalienX" <somewhere@earth.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > IVe got a better idea, how about the game makers charge a more
> > > reasonable price for their bloody games, $90 for a game? as if...
> > > if all new games were $20 who would bother copying them ?
> >
> > Yeah, because nobody copies music that costs less than $20 do they?
> > *sigh*
>
> yeah right, what cd's cost less than $20 ? cd singles? well nobody
> copys them

You need to find someplace else to buy your CD's. They only run $15 bucks
for most new releases at the local tower records. and yes, thats for the
whole album not just the single.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 4:35:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

>difool wrote:
>The usual drivel.

To bad that Thunderbird do not have a option to ignore cross posts. Well
one can always hope that it comes in a extension sometime in the future.
January 28, 2005 4:35:42 PM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:35:41 +0100, H <H@i.a> wrote:

>To bad that Thunderbird do not have a option to ignore cross posts. Well
>one can always hope that it comes in a extension sometime in the future.

Another good reason to use Agent :-)
January 28, 2005 6:25:05 PM

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> DalienX wrote:
>
>> IVe got a better idea, how about the game makers charge a more
>> reasonable price for their bloody games, $90 for a game? as if...
>> if all new games were $20 who would bother copying them ?
>
> They'd have to sell nearly five times as many boxes to get the same
> return on their money, that's why.

And a more important principle in my book: pirates should be punished, not
appeased.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 7:32:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Yep, I guessed that! :)

And if we are going to start talking about spelling on
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
I need to point out that the past simple of "to spell" in the UK is
"spelt" not "spelled".

:p
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 7:48:12 PM

James Garvin wrote:

> DalienX wrote:
>
> > chadwick110@hotmail.com wrote:
> >

> > > How about a system were the CD-Key is registered on some kind of
> > > central database? Once registered, no-one else can use that key,
> > > so it's pointless copying and distributing the disc. You could
> > > also make patches, online gaming and extras like the SDK only
> > > available to the original registrant, which increases the
> > > reliance on the central-registry concept and makes piracy even
> > > more pointless.
> >

> > IVe got a better idea, how about the game makers charge a more
> > reasonable price for their bloody games, $90 for a game? as if...
> > if all new games were $20 who would bother copying them ?
>
> There are $90 games?

Where i am (australia) all new games are $90+

Halflife 2 was $115

--
DalienX
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Oh, you mean like what Steam does?

> How about a system were the CD-Key is registered on some kind of
> central database? Once registered, no-one else can use that key, so
> it's pointless copying and distributing the disc. You could also make
> patches, online gaming and extras like the SDK only available to the
> original registrant, which increases the reliance on the
> central-registry concept and makes piracy even more pointless.

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 8:52:04 PM

"James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message
> tatemodern@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>
>> What a great Idea!
>>
>> But it needs a catchy name.
>>
>> What about...
>>
>> Vapour?
>
> You spelled Vapor wrong ;-)

No, he wrote in English!
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 9:31:48 PM

slartibartfast wrote:

> "DalienX" <somewhere@earth.com> wrote in message
> > Andrew wrote:

> > > Yeah, because nobody copies music that costs less than $20 do
> > > they? sigh
> >
> > yeah right, what cd's cost less than $20 ? cd singles? well nobody
> > copys them
>
> You need to find someplace else to buy your CD's. They only run $15
> bucks for most new releases at the local tower records. and yes,
> thats for the whole album not just the single.

Perhaps i caused confusion, when i said $20 i ment in Australian dollars

--
DalienX
Anonymous

Courageous wrote:
> >Ok... The subject got me kinda interested, I was thinking, "What the

> >hell's a piracy unit?" *IT'S UNITE DUMBASS TROLL!!*
>
> Unite? Unite?!? Holy Mary, Mother of Jesus!
>
> He wants us to unite our units??!
>
> That's not gonna happen.
>
> C//

ROFLCOPTER!!!
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:15:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Ok... The subject got me kinda interested, I was thinking, "What the
hell's a piracy unit?" *IT'S UNITE DUMBASS TROLL!!*

difool vomited:
> steam divide us
> but piracy will obviously unit us
> so lets put aside steam for a moment and fight piracy together!
>
> --
> <snip>
> blah blah blah
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:15:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

>Ok... The subject got me kinda interested, I was thinking, "What the
>hell's a piracy unit?" *IT'S UNITE DUMBASS TROLL!!*

Unite? Unite?!? Holy Mary, Mother of Jesus!

He wants us to unite our units??!

That's not gonna happen.

C//
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:24:10 PM

>>> What a great Idea!
>>>
>>> But it needs a catchy name.
>>>
>>> What about...
>>>
>>> Vapour?
>>
>> You spelled Vapor wrong ;-)
>
> No, he wrote in English!

What? Is this like the difference in colour and color?
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:24:11 PM

ShutEye <no@no.no> typed as if devouring a plate of spoo:

>>> You spelled Vapor wrong ;-)
>>
>> No, he wrote in English!
>
> What? Is this like the difference in colour and color?

Exactly.
Brits can spell properly ;)

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:26:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message
> tatemodern@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>
> > What a great Idea!
> >
> > But it needs a catchy name.
> >
> > What about...
> >
> > Vapour?
>
> You spelled Vapor wrong ;-)

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&v...

One entry found for vapour.
Main Entry: va·pour
chiefly British variant of VAPOR
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:26:09 PM

OldDog wrote:
> "James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>tatemodern@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>>

>>>What a great Idea!
>>>
>>>But it needs a catchy name.
>>>
>>>What about...
>>>
>>>Vapour?
>>
>>You spelled Vapor wrong ;-)
>

> http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&v...
>
> One entry found for vapour.
> Main Entry: va·pour
> chiefly British variant of VAPOR

I know...I was making fun of british spellings. Colour, Vapour, etc...
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:27:24 PM

>>> No, he wrote in English!
>>
>> What? Is this like the difference in colour and color?
>
> Exactly.
> Brits can spell properly ;)

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:32:01 PM

"DalienX" <somewhere@earth.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> > There are $90 games?
>
> Where i am (australia) all new games are $90+
>
> Halflife 2 was $115
>
> --
> DalienX

Whoa! It cost big bucks for games in Australia! $90 USD for Half Life
2?!?!? I hope you got a real gravity gun with this game. ;)

Was this the boxed or steam version?
Why are games down under so much higher?

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?amt=115&from=...
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 12:37:55 AM

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> On 27 Jan 2005, mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> For PC gaming the message is the same as always: Unless piracy can be
>> brought under control, or console piracy rises drastically, PC sales
>> aren't ever going to match those of the consoles, and as long as PC
>> sales don't match console sales, PC gaming will play second fiddle.
>
> these words really make me very sad
>
> i've been pointing my guns to steam but probably i should also not
> forget piracy
>
> piracy should be the big unifying issue to pc gamers
> piracy is no doubt the most damaging problem in todays pc games
>
> steam divide us
> but piracy will obviously unit us
> so lets put aside steam for a moment and fight piracy together!
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

unit us ?
Is this some American game item or a duff unit?
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 12:41:29 AM

What are the units of piracy, anyway?

I propose that, henceforth, the International Unit of Piracy shall be the
ARRRRH!!

--
Paul
Anonymous

<tatemodern@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> What a great Idea!
>
> But it needs a catchy name.
>
> What about...
>
> Vapour?

ROTFLMFAO :)
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 12:51:55 AM

> IVe got a better idea, how about the game makers charge a more
> reasonable price for their bloody games, $90 for a game? as if...
> if all new games were $20 who would bother copying them ?

Now there is some innovative, fresh, creative thinking.

Too bad that means it'll never even be considered :(

January 29, 2005 12:52:38 AM

"Courageous" <dontwant@spam.com> wrote in message

> >but piracy will obviously unit us
>
> To be frank, I think we should all stay as far from
> possible from eachother's units.

ROFL
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 12:56:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

???

flightlessvacuum@lycos.com wrote:
> Courageous wrote:
>
> ROFLCOPTER!!!

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 12:56:38 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

>> ROFLCOPTER!!!

>???

Rolling On the Floor and COpiously Playing and Toying with his Electrical Rooster?

C//
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 1:36:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

tatemodern@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> Yep, I guessed that! :)
>
> And if we are going to start talking about spelling on
> comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
> I need to point out that the past simple of "to spell" in the UK is
> "spelt" not "spelled".

You English are destroying the English Language!! ;-)
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 1:37:11 AM

Courageous wrote:

>>Ok... The subject got me kinda interested, I was thinking, "What the
>>hell's a piracy unit?" *IT'S UNITE DUMBASS TROLL!!*
>

> Unite? Unite?!? Holy Mary, Mother of Jesus!
>
> He wants us to unite our units??!
>
> That's not gonna happen.

It could if we all held them together...like hands across America...we
could have Units that Touch for Steam
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 3:46:12 AM

I guess ya also say smelt instead of smelled or felt a tree instead
of felled a tree or kilt instead of killed... Hum... Weird people...
:)

On 28 Jan 2005 16:32:55 -0800, tatemodern@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

>Yep, I guessed that! :)
>
>And if we are going to start talking about spelling on
>comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
>I need to point out that the past simple of "to spell" in the UK is
>"spelt" not "spelled".
>
>:p

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, between the legs of a hot lady, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out,and screaming
WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

I didn't compose this but I love it!!!
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 4:35:07 AM

<tatemodern@yahoo.co.uk> skrev i meddelandet
> Yep, I guessed that! :)
>
> And if we are going to start talking about spelling on
> comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
> I need to point out that the past simple of "to spell" in the UK is
> "spelt" not "spelled".
>
> :p

Oh good your such an elitist you know.....

; )

lyset
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 4:42:36 AM

You know trolls can't spell or think... Why do you even question it...
They are parasites trying to find a symbiotic relationship with
something...

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:15:53 -0500, acerbated
<send.spam@microsoft.com> wrote:

>Ok... The subject got me kinda interested, I was thinking, "What the
>hell's a piracy unit?" *IT'S UNITE DUMBASS TROLL!!*
>
>difool vomited:
>> steam divide us
>> but piracy will obviously unit us
>> so lets put aside steam for a moment and fight piracy together!
>>
>> --
>> <snip>
>> blah blah blah

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, between the legs of a hot lady, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out,and screaming
WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

I didn't compose this but I love it!!!
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 11:10:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

>It could if we all held them together...like hands across America...we
>could have Units that Touch for Steam

You degenerates are first up against the wall when I become
ruler of the world on the Impossible setting.

C//
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 1:45:27 PM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

> Why are games down under so much higher?

for me i also can't understand why are games in australia so expensive
is it cause they have such an high level of income?
i really worry australia insanely high pc game prices will help steam
and other evil systems, and its really bad and the australia goverment
should stop it

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 29, 2005 1:45:34 PM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Andrew wrote:

> Another good reason to use Agent :-)

how many emails have you sent forte asking for them to sell it using steam?
i bet you low steam lover valve worshiper dreams about EVERY GOOD PIECE OF
SOFTWARE AVAILABLE BE INFECTED BY YOUR DISGUSTING STEAM!!!!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 29, 2005 1:45:35 PM

difool wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Andrew wrote:
>

>>Another good reason to use Agent :-)
>

> how many emails have you sent forte asking for them to sell it using steam?
> i bet you low steam lover valve worshiper dreams about EVERY GOOD PIECE OF
> SOFTWARE AVAILABLE BE INFECTED BY YOUR DISGUSTING STEAM!!!!

off your medication again?
!