  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    From: "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com>

    | Hi:
    |
    | On Windows NT or newer platforms, under "C:\Documents and Settings"; there
    | are two folders: "All Users" and "Default User".
    |
    | Could you tell me what are these two folders for? Does it have anything to
    | with an admin's profile ?
    |
    | Thanks In Advance !
    | Polaris

    They don't have anything to do with the admin's profile.

    They are used for managing multiple users on one platform.

    Lets say that I login as "lipman" and install all the software on the computer. I then
    configure the software and all software settings.

    I will have the folder...

    C:\Documents and Settings\lipman

    I will then login as the Administrator (or any other than 'lipman' account with proper
    rights) and copy the 'lipman' profile to the 'Default User' profile.

    Then when a new user logs onto the Win2K or WinXP PC (you x-posted to both) that new user
    will inherit all the configurations and settings that were in the 'default user' profile.

    The 'all users' prrofile is used such that all the person's logging in to the PC will
    inherit and changes or icons in the 'all users' profile.

    For example, If I drag and drop a .LNK icon on the folder

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

    All the users who login to that platform will have that icon on their respective desktop.

    If I drag and drop a .URL icon on the folder

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Favorites

    All the users who login to that platform will have that URL in their respective IE
    Favourites.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Windows NT-based computers follow the following discovery process for
    creating a new profile either for Admin or regular user:

    Is there a central (roaming) profile defined in User Manager for Domains
    (ADUC)?
    If yes, does the profile exist? If yes, use profile.
    If no, does this user have a local profile? If yes, use local.
    If no, does Default User exist on Netlogon share of validating Domain
    Controller? If yes, use it.
    If no, does Default User exist in WinNT\Profiles (%systemdrive%\Documents
    and Settings)?

    If yes, Windows loads the Default User profile and applies it to the user's
    desktop environment. When the user logs off, the local profile is actually
    created on the computer for the user (profile file structure is created and
    used at logon time). The next time the user logs on, the local profile is
    used, if it wasn't deleted, instead of the local default profile.

    All Users profile creates a common environment and applies (merges) to every
    user at every logon.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Polaris wrote:
    > On Windows NT or newer platforms, under "C:\Documents and Settings";
    > there are two folders: "All Users" and "Default User".
    >
    > Could you tell me what are these two folders for? Does it have
    > anything to with an admin's profile ?

    All Users is used by All Users..
    Default User is used whenever a new account is created.

    HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

    Doug's Windows XP Security Console

    Windows XP is a multi-user OS, even when used by one person only, the
    fundamentals don't change.

    Documents and Settings is the directory that contains your user
    information/documents/etc. It also contains a few extra directories used by
    Windows.

    One is "Default User" - This is used whenever a new account is created. It
    bases the initial setup of that account off this directory.

    Another is "All Users" - This is used by.. all users. If you want something
    to appear on the desktop of every user of the machine, you put it on this
    users desktop (in the desktop folder.) Etc.

    You may also see "Administrator" - depending on your setup, this is the
    original administrator user and if you know that account's password, you
    should leave him alone and use him only in an emergency.

    You could also (if you have it where you can see ALL files) see
    "LocalService" and "NetworkService" folders. These are service accounts,
    normally unused by the standard user.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Nice explanation, with a minor correction. See below.

    > From: "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com>
    >
    > | Hi:
    > |
    > | On Windows NT or newer platforms, under "C:\Documents and Settings";
    there
    > | are two folders: "All Users" and "Default User".
    > |
    > | Could you tell me what are these two folders for? Does it have anything
    > | with an admin's profile ?
    > |
    > | Thanks In Advance !
    > | Polaris
    > |

    > They don't have anything to do with the admin's profile.
    >
    > They are used for managing multiple users on one platform.
    >
    > Lets say that I login as "lipman" and install all the software on the
    computer. I then
    > configure the software and all software settings.
    >
    > I will have the folder...
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\lipman
    >
    > I will then login as the Administrator (or any other than 'lipman' account
    with proper
    > rights) and copy the 'lipman' profile to the 'Default User' profile.
    >
    > Then when a new user logs onto the Win2K or WinXP PC (you x-posted to
    both) that new user
    > will inherit all the configurations and settings that were in the 'default
    user' profile.

    > The 'all users' prrofile is used such that all the person's logging in to
    the PC will
    > inherit and changes or icons in the 'all users' profile.

    *** As you write, new users will inherit every shortcut etc. from
    *** the "Default User" folder. In other words, new users will get
    *** their own copy of everything, to be used as they see fit. When
    *** they modify an inherited shortcut, their modification will not
    *** be visible to other users - because they modify their own copy.

    *** Items in the "All Users" folder are NOT inherited - they are
    *** barely visible to everyone. In other words, new or existing
    *** users do NOT get their own copy of shortcuts from "All
    *** Users" - they simply SEE them. If they modify them (assuming
    *** that they have the authority to do so) then their modification
    *** will be visible to every other user too.

    > For example, If I drag and drop a .LNK icon on the folder
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    >
    > All the users who login to that platform will have that icon on their
    respective desktop.

    > If I drag and drop a .URL icon on the folder
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Favorites
    >
    > All the users who login to that platform will have that URL in their
    respective IE
    > Favourites.
    >

    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    From: "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com>

    | *** As you write, new users will inherit every shortcut etc. from
    | *** the "Default User" folder. In other words, new users will get
    | *** their own copy of everything, to be used as they see fit. When
    | *** they modify an inherited shortcut, their modification will not
    | *** be visible to other users - because they modify their own copy.
    |
    | *** Items in the "All Users" folder are NOT inherited - they are
    | *** barely visible to everyone. In other words, new or existing
    | *** users do NOT get their own copy of shortcuts from "All
    | *** Users" - they simply SEE them. If they modify them (assuming
    | *** that they have the authority to do so) then their modification
    | *** will be visible to every other user too.

    Thanx for that clarification Pegasus. In the my mind I new that but I should have added
    that info.

    I found it interesting that in Win2K if logged in as 'lipman' I could copy the 'lipman'
    profile to the "Default Profile" while logged into the profile as 'lipman'.

    But, in WinXP that was not possible and needed to logon as another administrative user to
    copy the 'lipman' profile to the "Default Profile".

    As I went through Win2K SP1 --> SP4 started to find that a file handle in the 'lipman'
    profile would be in use thus blocking the copy process to the "Default Profile". I then
    found that in Win2K SP4 I needed to logon as an another administrative user to copy the
    'lipman' profile to the "Default Profile".

    Then I understood why WinXP by default I needed to logon as another administrative user to
    copy the 'lipman' profile to the "Default Profile".

    I also noted though that once in a while a file handle in the 'lipman' profile would be in
    use thus blocking the copy process to the "Default Profile" or it would be "greyed out".
    Rebooting the platform allowed the copying process to succeed.

    I did this on a regular basis in conjunction with Enterprise Ghost. Before I would create a
    Ghost Image on my Ghost Server I would go through the above steps to create a 'Default
    Profile'. Then SysPrep would be executed and the PC booted from a Ghost Boot Disk such that
    I could image the platform (using Multi-Cast IP).

    This way making a clone of a model related platforms was very easy and the MiniWizard would
    execute on the detination platform allowing me to put a NEW IP address in, apply a unique
    Workstation name and add the platform to the NT/AD Domain.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    It shouldn't have ever been possible to use 'Copy To' function while logged
    on as the source profile. The file ntuser.dat is the current user hive and
    would always be loaded and in use.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "David H. Lipman" wrote:
    | Thanx for that clarification Pegasus. In the my mind I new that but I
    should have added
    | that info.
    |
    | I found it interesting that in Win2K if logged in as 'lipman' I could copy
    the 'lipman'
    | profile to the "Default Profile" while logged into the profile as
    'lipman'.

    | But, in WinXP that was not possible and needed to logon as another
    administrative user to
    | copy the 'lipman' profile to the "Default Profile".
    |
    | As I went through Win2K SP1 --> SP4 started to find that a file handle in
    the 'lipman'
    | profile would be in use thus blocking the copy process to the "Default
    Profile". I then
    | found that in Win2K SP4 I needed to logon as an another administrative
    user to copy the
    | 'lipman' profile to the "Default Profile".
    |
    | Then I understood why WinXP by default I needed to logon as another
    administrative user to
    | copy the 'lipman' profile to the "Default Profile".
    |
    | I also noted though that once in a while a file handle in the 'lipman'
    profile would be in
    | use thus blocking the copy process to the "Default Profile" or it would be
    "greyed out".
    | Rebooting the platform allowed the copying process to succeed.
    |
    | I did this on a regular basis in conjunction with Enterprise Ghost.
    Before I would create a
    | Ghost Image on my Ghost Server I would go through the above steps to
    create a 'Default
    | Profile'. Then SysPrep would be executed and the PC booted from a Ghost
    Boot Disk such that
    | I could image the platform (using Multi-Cast IP).
    |
    | This way making a clone of a model related platforms was very easy and the
    MiniWizard would
    | execute on the detination platform allowing me to put a NEW IP address in,
    apply a unique
    | Workstation name and add the platform to the NT/AD Domain.
    |

    | --
    | Dave
    | http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    | http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Default Windows Server Security Microsoft Windows XP