DAO installed by ATI Catalyst

I'm having problems with the DAO that was, apparently, installed with
the ATI software. I have a 9800 PRO and WXP Home on an Athlon 64
machine, and am trying to install another program which won't start
without calling the DAO install.

I see DAO from ATI in the "add/remove" program list, but can't uninstall
it. I even went into the Registry and tried to delete the listing but
it isn't there.

Why does ATI need DAO anyway??

Thanks for any help.

John

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

It's only needed for All-In-Wonder cards that use ATI's MMC.
Taken from Drivers section at ATI.com:

Data Access Objects (DAO)

Data Access Objects (DAO) is the programming interface for the Microsoft Jet
database engine. You can use the objects and collections in the DAO object
hierarchy to manipulate your data and the structure of your database. DAO is
a shared component of Microsoft Office. Any application that supports
Automation can use DAO to work with objects in a database.
DAO is required to support the "Library" function of Multimedia Center.

On December 31 2004, "Tony" <not@thisaddress.com> wrote:
> It's only needed for All-In-Wonder cards that use ATI's MMC.

Thanks Tony,

Can I infer that I downloaded the wrong version of Catalyst? I can't
seem to get this thing off my system.

John

ME

jsstuff*nospam*@rochester.rr.com wrote:
> On December 31 2004, "Tony" <not@thisaddress.com> wrote:
>
>>It's only needed for All-In-Wonder cards that use ATI's MMC.
>

> Thanks Tony,
>
> Can I infer that I downloaded the wrong version of Catalyst? I can't
> seem to get this thing off my system.
>
> John

How about going to the ATI site and downloading the DAO install? It
won't hurt your system. You might also be able to get a clean uninstall
once it is installed again.

Vellu

jsstuff*nospam*@rochester.rr.com kirjoitti:
> I'm having problems with the DAO that was, apparently, installed with
> the ATI software. I have a 9800 PRO and WXP Home on an Athlon 64
> machine, and am trying to install another program which won't start
> without calling the DAO install.
>
> I see DAO from ATI in the "add/remove" program list, but can't uninstall
> it. I even went into the Registry and tried to delete the listing but
> it isn't there.
>
> Why does ATI need DAO anyway??
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> John

DAO? I don't have that (R9600, CAT4.12). In add/remove list there are
three items which refer to ATI: Display Driver, Control Panel and
uninstaller.

On December 31 2004, vellu <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote:
> DAO? I don't have that (R9600, CAT4.12). In add/remove list there are
> three items which refer to ATI: Display Driver, Control Panel and
> uninstaller.

It's identified as an ATI file but directs you to Microsoft for support
and you see an MDAC-DAO folder in the c:/ATI directory that the
installation file creates. thought it might be a virus but all
indications are I have a bad installation.

When the other program tries to start, it calls DAO (Data Access
Object?) and since it can't find it anywhere I have to cancel out of the
installation a few times before the other program loads. The company
who wrote the other program claims that it doesn't call or need DAO, my
system is whacked apparently. This doesn't happen with any other
program, just "Legacy", a genealogy program.

I tried the ATI uninstall utility (sent by their tech support, but it
doesn't touch the DAO. I then was directed to go into the registry where
the Uninstall listing resides and delete the DAO reference, which I did,
but it stays on the "Add/Remove" list, but now it doesn't have an
"Uninstall" button..

Just venting.

John

On December 31 2004, me <me@me.org> wrote:
> How about going to the ATI site and downloading the DAO install? It
> won't hurt your system. You might also be able to get a clean
> uninstall once it is installed again.

I guess I must have missed it there. If it works, then I apologize in
advance for wasting your time..

I am running an AIW 9600 Pro. Over time as I updated the drivers and MMC
software I ended up with three different DAO items in the Add/Remove window.
I uninstalled the entries that actually functioned through the Add/Remove
window, then I removed the remining entries manually with regedit. I then
re-installed the DAO package from ATI (file name is
mmc-9-1-0-0-dao-mdac.exe). I now have one properly referenced DAO entry in
the Add/Remove window. Hope this helps somewhat.

> On December 31 2004, me <me@me.org> wrote:
>> How about going to the ATI site and downloading the DAO install? It
>> won't hurt your system. You might also be able to get a clean
>> uninstall once it is installed again.
>
> I guess I must have missed it there. If it works, then I apologize in
> advance for wasting your time..

On December 31 2004, me <me@me.org> wrote:
> How about going to the ATI site and downloading the DAO install? It
> won't hurt your system. You might also be able to get a clean
> uninstall once it is installed again.

That did it. There were 2 installations showing up in the add/remove
list, but I was able to uninstall them both from there.

Then I reinstalled the ATI MDAC/DAO and everything seems to working
properly. Including the other program!

Thanks everyone!

John

TRENDING THREADS