limited account and installing software

May 21, 2005 2:27:01 AM

In XP ProI created a limited account so my kids would not be able to install
software. The account type says "limited" will not be able to install
programs. However, when I am in their login, and try to install something,
it simply asks for my administrator password, and when I don't give it one,
it says the software may or may not work, and installs it anyway. How do I
make it so it won't actually install anything?
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 4:41:16 AM

raycyrx wrote:
> In XP ProI created a limited account so my kids would not be able to
> install software. The account type says "limited" will not be able
> to install programs. However, when I am in their login, and try to
> install something, it simply asks for my administrator password, and
> when I don't give it one, it says the software may or may not work,
> and installs it anyway. How do I make it so it won't actually
> install anything?

Instead of using the Windows XP Prettified User interface.. use the

start --> run
control userpasswords2

Interface..

HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

OK... so now they can't install software, but they now can't play the game
after I'VE installed it using my administrator account.
May 21, 2005 12:37:46 PM

raycyrx wrote:
> OK... so now they can't install software, but they now can't play the game
> after I'VE installed it using my administrator account.

You may experience some problems if the software was designed for
Win9x/Me, or if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly
designed. Quite simply, the installation routine for this application
doesn't "know" how to handle individual user profiles, or the
application tries to make changes to "off-limits" sections of the
registry or protected Windows system folders. Quite often, you can make
this software available to other users by _copying_ the Start Menu
folder and Desktop folder shortcuts from the user profile from which the
software was installed in the corresponding folders in the user
profile(s) in which you'd like the software to be accessible. If the
application is something that can/should be made available to all
current and future users, copying the shortcuts into the corresponding
locations of the All Users profile will do the trick.

For some obscure reason, game developers in particular seem to not
understand WinXP's file security paradigm, and require even limited
users to have unnecessarily high privileges to protected systems
folders. For example, saved games are often stored in a sub-folder
under the game's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
inexperienced or limited user should ever have write permissions.

NOTE: This may not work if the software requires access to parts
of the hard drive and/or registry that are not normally accessible to
regular users. (This won't occur if the application was properly
written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're left with
two options: Either grant the necessary users appropriate higher access
privileges (either as Power Users or local administrators), or replace
the application with one that was properly designed specifically for
WinNT/2K/XP.

Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

"If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
is the default.

C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

If you wish to undo these changes, then run

C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
full control."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 1:06:02 AM

OK... I drug and dropped the short cuts and that didn't work. I've got LOTS
of kids/educational games that I'd really like to keep. Isn't there a way
for me to install them from their login using my admin password?
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 3:57:49 AM

raycyrx wrote:
> OK... I drug and dropped the short cuts and that didn't work. I've
> got LOTS of kids/educational games that I'd really like to keep.
> Isn't there a way for me to install them from their login using my
> admin password?

It's likely file/folder permissions or registry permissions preventing them
from playing.
And yes - if XP Professional, you can install using "RunAs".

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

OK... I'm getting lost. What doe the """ symbols mean?
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 2:52:03 AM

Hi,
with runasspc you can crypt the application, adminaccount and the
password in a file.
Doubleclick on runasspc run the application with the information in
this cryptfile.
It is secure freeware and simple to use.
http://robotronic.de/runasspc/runasspc.zip
!