limited account and installing software

In XP ProI created a limited account so my kids would not be able to install
software. The account type says "limited" will not be able to install
programs. However, when I am in their login, and try to install something,
it simply asks for my administrator password, and when I don't give it one,
it says the software may or may not work, and installs it anyway. How do I
make it so it won't actually install anything?
7 answers Last reply
More about limited account installing software

    raycyrx wrote:
    > In XP ProI created a limited account so my kids would not be able to
    > install software. The account type says "limited" will not be able
    > to install programs. However, when I am in their login, and try to
    > install something, it simply asks for my administrator password, and
    > when I don't give it one, it says the software may or may not work,
    > and installs it anyway. How do I make it so it won't actually
    > install anything?

    Instead of using the Windows XP Prettified User interface.. use the

    start --> run
    control userpasswords2

    Interface..

    HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    OK... so now they can't install software, but they now can't play the game
    after I'VE installed it using my administrator account.

    raycyrx wrote:
    > OK... so now they can't install software, but they now can't play the game
    > after I'VE installed it using my administrator account.

    You may experience some problems if the software was designed for
    Win9x/Me, or if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly
    designed. Quite simply, the installation routine for this application
    doesn't "know" how to handle individual user profiles, or the
    application tries to make changes to "off-limits" sections of the
    registry or protected Windows system folders. Quite often, you can make
    this software available to other users by _copying_ the Start Menu
    folder and Desktop folder shortcuts from the user profile from which the
    software was installed in the corresponding folders in the user
    profile(s) in which you'd like the software to be accessible. If the
    application is something that can/should be made available to all
    current and future users, copying the shortcuts into the corresponding
    locations of the All Users profile will do the trick.

    For some obscure reason, game developers in particular seem to not
    understand WinXP's file security paradigm, and require even limited
    users to have unnecessarily high privileges to protected systems
    folders. For example, saved games are often stored in a sub-folder
    under the game's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
    inexperienced or limited user should ever have write permissions.

    NOTE: This may not work if the software requires access to parts
    of the hard drive and/or registry that are not normally accessible to
    regular users. (This won't occur if the application was properly
    written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're left with
    two options: Either grant the necessary users appropriate higher access
    privileges (either as Power Users or local administrators), or replace
    the application with one that was properly designed specifically for
    WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    OK... I drug and dropped the short cuts and that didn't work. I've got LOTS
    of kids/educational games that I'd really like to keep. Isn't there a way
    for me to install them from their login using my admin password?

    raycyrx wrote:
    > OK... I drug and dropped the short cuts and that didn't work. I've
    > got LOTS of kids/educational games that I'd really like to keep.
    > Isn't there a way for me to install them from their login using my
    > admin password?

    It's likely file/folder permissions or registry permissions preventing them
    from playing.
    And yes - if XP Professional, you can install using "RunAs".

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    OK... I'm getting lost. What doe the "&quot" symbols mean?

    Hi,
    with runasspc you can crypt the application, adminaccount and the
    password in a file.
    Doubleclick on runasspc run the application with the information in
    this cryptfile.
    It is secure freeware and simple to use.
    http://robotronic.de/runasspc/runasspc.zip

Software Microsoft Windows XP