ATI drivers help

For some reason, no drivers after the 4.3 release seem to work for me.
On any of the drivers later than those, I get seemingly random system
lockups and/or Windows resets the graphics to standard VGA and I have
to do a system restore to get back to a working system.

I have a Radeon 9600 Pro, and I'm wondering if the problem might be
that the newer drivers are taxing it just enough to require upping the
AGP voltage, but the problem is my motherboard (Soyo K7VMP2) does not
allow me to adjust the AGP voltage.

The good news is that under the 4.3 drivers, my system seems to be
rock stable. But my concern is that at some point, I'm going to need
to update the drivers in order to run a game or something.

Does anyone have any ideas that don't require me getting a new
motherboard? And yes, I've tried running Driver Cleaner before
installing new drivers.

David
3 answers Last reply
More about drivers help

    "David Kehler" <dkehler33REMOVE@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > For some reason, no drivers after the 4.3 release seem to work for me.
    > On any of the drivers later than those, I get seemingly random system
    > lockups and/or Windows resets the graphics to standard VGA and I have
    > to do a system restore to get back to a working system.
    >
    > I have a Radeon 9600 Pro, and I'm wondering if the problem might be
    > that the newer drivers are taxing it just enough to require upping the
    > AGP voltage, but the problem is my motherboard (Soyo K7VMP2) does not
    > allow me to adjust the AGP voltage.
    >
    > The good news is that under the 4.3 drivers, my system seems to be
    > rock stable. But my concern is that at some point, I'm going to need
    > to update the drivers in order to run a game or something.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas that don't require me getting a new
    > motherboard? And yes, I've tried running Driver Cleaner before
    > installing new drivers.
    >
    > David

    A few basics to try first - disable fast-writes in mobo bios if your
    using that. Next - if youre using 8x AGP knock it down to 4x as
    many mobo/graphics card combinations are unstable at 8x and
    there is no performance differance anyway. Lastly disable
    VPU recovery as this often causes instability too.

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 06:51:14 GMT, "Sleepy"
    <nospamthanksbpespley@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >"David Kehler" <dkehler33REMOVE@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >> For some reason, no drivers after the 4.3 release seem to work for me.
    >> On any of the drivers later than those, I get seemingly random system
    >> lockups and/or Windows resets the graphics to standard VGA and I have
    >> to do a system restore to get back to a working system.
    >>
    >> I have a Radeon 9600 Pro, and I'm wondering if the problem might be
    >> that the newer drivers are taxing it just enough to require upping the
    >> AGP voltage, but the problem is my motherboard (Soyo K7VMP2) does not
    >> allow me to adjust the AGP voltage.
    >>
    >> The good news is that under the 4.3 drivers, my system seems to be
    >> rock stable. But my concern is that at some point, I'm going to need
    >> to update the drivers in order to run a game or something.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any ideas that don't require me getting a new
    >> motherboard? And yes, I've tried running Driver Cleaner before
    >> installing new drivers.
    >>
    >> David
    >
    >A few basics to try first - disable fast-writes in mobo bios if your
    >using that. Next - if youre using 8x AGP knock it down to 4x as
    >many mobo/graphics card combinations are unstable at 8x and
    >there is no performance differance anyway. Lastly disable
    >VPU recovery as this often causes instability too.

    Thanks for the suggestions. The only one I'm not 100% certain I've
    tried is knocking down the AGP to 4x, but again, the 4.3 drivers are
    rock solid at 8x AGP. It's pretty mysterious.

    David

    "Sleepy" <nospamthanksbpespley@blueyonder.co.uk> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:CLrBd.521$GG1.34@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

    Lastly disable
    > VPU recovery as this often causes instability too.

    Where can you disable the VPU recovery? TIA.

    Yili

Radeon Drivers ATI Graphics