pup ups on desktop

somehow, we now have a button (red dot with an X through it) on the task bar
that is for "specialgoods.index" and states its been authorized by windows
for desktop pop up icons. it creates desktop icons for outrageous sites and
won't delete when I run Ad-Aware or McAfee. what to do?

http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en