Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

No Workstation Service

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
May 23, 2005 5:01:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I have a brand xp install with sp2.
When I go into control panel, Administrative tools,
computer management, local users and groups, users, select a user
right click, select properties, select the tab
member of, I get:

" The workstation service has not been started."

when I go into services, there is no workstation service.

I have seen some threads here that say I should install file and print
sharing,
and microsoft client for networks. but I was told that file and print
sharing
and microsoft client for networks is not necessary and is a security
risk. I got this from http://www.grc.com/su-bondage.htm

Thank You for any help you can give me,

Larry

More about : workstation service

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 5:01:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

The Workstation service is needed for something with Microsoft Management
Console (mmc.exe), I don't remember what all exactly. But you can see one
of the things it's needed for.

Workstation service (LanmanWorkstation).

The Client for Microsoft Networks component is actually the Workstation
service.

To see the Workstation service listed in Services...

Network Connections | Right click: Your Connection | Properties | General
tab | Install button | Highlight: Client | Add button | Highlight: Client
for Microsoft Networks | OK | Close

Then...

Start | Run | Type: services.msc | OK |
Scroll down to and double click Workstation and set to
Automatic | | Click Start | When started, click OK

Removing Client for Microsoft Networks Removes Other Services
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322267

File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is the Server service
(lanmanserver). The Server service won't be listed in Services if File and
Printer Sharing is disabled.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:e2JUsRqXFHA.2348@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Larry <user@domain.invalid> hunted and pecked:
> I have a brand xp install with sp2.
> When I go into control panel, Administrative tools,
> computer management, local users and groups, users, select a user
> right click, select properties, select the tab
> member of, I get:
>
> " The workstation service has not been started."
>
> when I go into services, there is no workstation service.
>
> I have seen some threads here that say I should install file and print
> sharing,
> and microsoft client for networks. but I was told that file and print
> sharing
> and microsoft client for networks is not necessary and is a security
> risk. I got this from http://www.grc.com/su-bondage.htm
>
> Thank You for any help you can give me,
>
> Larry
May 23, 2005 3:02:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Wes,

Thank You for your help,
I take it then, I can enable the client for microsoft networks and file
and print sharing,
and is no longer a secuirty risk, as Steve Gibson thinks it is.

Larry

Wesley Vogel wrote:

>The Workstation service is needed for something with Microsoft Management
>Console (mmc.exe), I don't remember what all exactly. But you can see one
>of the things it's needed for.
>
>Workstation service (LanmanWorkstation).
>
>The Client for Microsoft Networks component is actually the Workstation
>service.
>
>To see the Workstation service listed in Services...
>
>Network Connections | Right click: Your Connection | Properties | General
>tab | Install button | Highlight: Client | Add button | Highlight: Client
>for Microsoft Networks | OK | Close
>
>Then...
>
>Start | Run | Type: services.msc | OK |
>Scroll down to and double click Workstation and set to
>Automatic | | Click Start | When started, click OK
>
>Removing Client for Microsoft Networks Removes Other Services
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322267
>
>File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is the Server service
>(lanmanserver). The Server service won't be listed in Services if File and
>Printer Sharing is disabled.
>
>
>
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 3:02:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Larry,

I have both Server and Workstation services set to automatic. I just
checked File Sharing, Common Ports and All Service Ports @
http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2. Stealth on everything!

Take Gibson's tests, see how ya do. Set your firewall settings accordingly.

The only way to be totally safe is to pull the plug on your modem. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o 7ppPhvXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Larry <user@domain.invalid> hunted and pecked:
> Wes,
>
> Thank You for your help,
> I take it then, I can enable the client for microsoft networks and file
> and print sharing,
> and is no longer a secuirty risk, as Steve Gibson thinks it is.
>
> Larry
>
> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>
>> The Workstation service is needed for something with Microsoft Management
>> Console (mmc.exe), I don't remember what all exactly. But you can see
>> one of the things it's needed for.
>>
>> Workstation service (LanmanWorkstation).
>>
>> The Client for Microsoft Networks component is actually the Workstation
>> service.
>>
>> To see the Workstation service listed in Services...
>>
>> Network Connections | Right click: Your Connection | Properties | General
>> tab | Install button | Highlight: Client | Add button | Highlight: Client
>> for Microsoft Networks | OK | Close
>>
>> Then...
>>
>> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | OK |
>> Scroll down to and double click Workstation and set to
>> Automatic | | Click Start | When started, click OK
>>
>> Removing Client for Microsoft Networks Removes Other Services
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322267
>>
>> File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is the Server service
>> (lanmanserver). The Server service won't be listed in Services if File
>> and Printer Sharing is disabled.
!