Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

clicksearchclick

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 11:42:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

My webbrowser "Internet Explorer" Versin 6.0.28 is being controlled by a url
called "www.clicksearchclick.com". Added to this I have identified other
viruses, but I am not able to download the fixes because the clicksearchclick
webbrowser keeps redirected me to its site. I am currenlty using Ad-Aware to
try and rid myself of it but to no succes. I have also run Norton Antivirus
several times. The clicksearchclick keeps making itself my home page.
1. Unable to download fixes
2. Current protection programs are unsuccessfull
hmmmmm any suggestions

More about : clicksearchclick

May 22, 2005 12:01:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Jack_N wrote:

> My webbrowser "Internet Explorer" Versin 6.0.28 is being controlled by
> a url
> called "www.clicksearchclick.com". Added to this I have identified
> other viruses, but I am not able to download the fixes because the
> clicksearchclick
> webbrowser keeps redirected me to its site. I am currenlty using
> Ad-Aware to
> try and rid myself of it but to no succes. I have also run Norton
> Antivirus
> several times. The clicksearchclick keeps making itself my home page.
> 1. Unable to download fixes
> 2. Current protection programs are unsuccessfull
> hmmmmm any suggestions

Follow the malware removal steps below. You will need to get the
tools/updates from a different, known-clean computer with an Internet
connection and a cd burner. If you don't have access to another
computer, take your machine to a computer repair professional (not your
local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

You must do all scans and removal work in Safe Mode.

First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. For IE's
Temporary Files, go to Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab.
You'll see where you can delete cookies and files. For Firefox, clear
its cache by going to Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache> Clear. For Windows
Temporary files, Start>Run cleanmgr [enter]. You can find all the links
to referenced programs and sites on my website here:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...

1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
antivirus using updated definitions.

Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
below.

2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See the links on my
website for a HijackThis tutorial and places where you can post your
HJT log. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get help
with it.

3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
(Run>cleanmgr).

4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

5) Run a firewall.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 11:50:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

"Jack_N" <Jack_N@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:53E5EDA8-85F4-4345-B940-289EABD7AB1A@microsoft.com...
> My webbrowser "Internet Explorer" Versin 6.0.28 is being controlled by a
url
> called "www.clicksearchclick.com". Added to this I have identified other
> viruses, but I am not able to download the fixes because the
clicksearchclick
> webbrowser keeps redirected me to its site. I am currenlty using Ad-Aware
to
> try and rid myself of it but to no succes. I have also run Norton
Antivirus
> several times. The clicksearchclick keeps making itself my home page.
> 1. Unable to download fixes
> 2. Current protection programs are unsuccessfull
> hmmmmm any suggestions
>
Before worrying about downloading and running anti-spyware, you could try
this first to see if it works. Do a search on C:\ for file <Hosts> . I think
it's under <C:\Windows\System32>. Open this file (not Hosts.sam) using
Wordpad.
Insert entries <127.0.0.1 clicksearchclick.com> and underneath it,
<127.0.0.1 www.clicksearchclick.com&gt; (without the brackets or underline).
Save the file.
Try running IE. This should block www.clicksearch.com, so you should end up
with 'page unavailable' as that page tries to open. Then try putting in
another website, eg google, in the address box, and see if it opens ok.
May 22, 2005 11:50:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Frank Booth Snr wrote:

> Before worrying about downloading and running anti-spyware, you could
> try this first to see if it works. Do a search on C:\ for file <Hosts>
> . I think it's under <C:\Windows\System32>. Open this file (not
> Hosts.sam) using Wordpad.
> Insert entries <127.0.0.1 clicksearchclick.com> and underneath it,
> <127.0.0.1 www.clicksearchclick.com&gt; (without the brackets or
> underline). Save the file.
> Try running IE. This should block www.clicksearch.com, so you should
> end up with 'page unavailable' as that page tries to open. Then try
> putting in another website, eg google, in the address box, and see if
> it opens ok.

That's all well and good, but it doesn't address the fact that the OP's
machine is infested with spyware. It might temporarily enable him to
get to websites to download the antispyware tools he needs, but it
won't solve his problem. He needs to clean up the machine.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:13:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:#FMGmewXFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Frank Booth Snr wrote:
>
> > Before worrying about downloading and running anti-spyware, you could
> > try this first to see if it works. Do a search on C:\ for file <Hosts>
> > . I think it's under <C:\Windows\System32>. Open this file (not
> > Hosts.sam) using Wordpad.
> > Insert entries <127.0.0.1 clicksearchclick.com> and underneath it,
> > <127.0.0.1 www.clicksearchclick.com&gt; (without the brackets or
> > underline). Save the file.
> > Try running IE. This should block www.clicksearch.com, so you should
> > end up with 'page unavailable' as that page tries to open. Then try
> > putting in another website, eg google, in the address box, and see if
> > it opens ok.
>
> That's all well and good, but it doesn't address the fact that the OP's
> machine is infested with spyware. It might temporarily enable him to
> get to websites to download the antispyware tools he needs, but it
> won't solve his problem. He needs to clean up the machine.
>
I agree, but if it works, then as you suggest he can then use his own
machine to access other websites and download the antispyware and then clean
up. All I'm trying to find out is whether my suggestion will stop
<clicksearchclick.com> from opening up.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 7:05:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I have tried going into Host on the notepad like suggested, but it isn't
solving the problem, the link still comes up and I cant see what the correct
web address that I am trying to access is?!?

"Frank Booth Snr" wrote:

>
> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> news:#FMGmewXFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Frank Booth Snr wrote:
> >
> > > Before worrying about downloading and running anti-spyware, you could
> > > try this first to see if it works. Do a search on C:\ for file <Hosts>
> > > . I think it's under <C:\Windows\System32>. Open this file (not
> > > Hosts.sam) using Wordpad.
> > > Insert entries <127.0.0.1 clicksearchclick.com> and underneath it,
> > > <127.0.0.1 www.clicksearchclick.com&gt; (without the brackets or
> > > underline). Save the file.
> > > Try running IE. This should block www.clicksearch.com, so you should
> > > end up with 'page unavailable' as that page tries to open. Then try
> > > putting in another website, eg google, in the address box, and see if
> > > it opens ok.
> >
> > That's all well and good, but it doesn't address the fact that the OP's
> > machine is infested with spyware. It might temporarily enable him to
> > get to websites to download the antispyware tools he needs, but it
> > won't solve his problem. He needs to clean up the machine.
> >
> I agree, but if it works, then as you suggest he can then use his own
> machine to access other websites and download the antispyware and then clean
> up. All I'm trying to find out is whether my suggestion will stop
> <clicksearchclick.com> from opening up.
>
>
>
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 7:55:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I am happy for myself and others to post a way to kill this mess.
</p>
- Put your Windows (XP) CD into your CD-rom
- Right after starting up, press F12
- Choose to start up from IDE CD-ROM
- You'll get a screen with install windows, just wait a few minutes
- Then, when it's finish loading, press E to start the repair mode.
Now comes the tricky part.


- Type CHDIR C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SERVICES
- The line that first said C:\WINDOWS will change to
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SERVICES
- Type DIR
- You'll get 2 files saying . and .. and one or more saying
{0670F02C-0DD5-4767-BB7F-0519C7D574B}, that's what mine said, yours
may be different.
- Now type CHDIR and copy the line with the long name
- The C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SERVICES will change to
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SERVICES\"longfilename"
- Now type DIR once more.
- And type DEL and copy the filenames in the list one by one. This
will delete them, something that would be impossible in Safe Mode.
- When finish, type CHDIR C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SERVICES
- Type RMDIR and the long filename again to remove it.
- Type EXIT now to reboot as you usually would do, and then, you
should be free of it.


Do not* use IE, because it's a paradise for stealth software, and so
on. Just use it when needed. Use the free Mozilla Firefox
'www.mozilla.org' (http://www.mozilla.org)
You should have Norton Antivirus, AdAware or something like that.
Install a Firewall and Windows XP Service Pack 2

I hope this helps, but if it dont send an email to'
islandstone007@hotmail.com' (islandstone007@hotmail.com)


--
Islandstone007
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Islandstone007's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13299
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819074328
!