Another Patch for RAGE on PC Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Is this game even remotely fun? Even the videos of it working properly seem so "blah". Just seems like the most generic rehashed game of all time, with a car thrown in.

saxplayingcompnerd

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Rage= massive flop, the end.

I was thinking about getting rage when i heard about it, but after seeing how awful the textures are and how the developers seem to not care that oblivion with a few mods has better textures, I don't think ill get it until I can find it for less than $15.

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
This was bad planning. I think some of the problem was that all the test machines they used had SSDs which wouldn't suffer from the same texture streaming problems. BTW first comment!

polly the parrot

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Too late for a patch, the game is shit. Non-existent story, invisible walls, terrible problems upon launch, etc.

id, you really shot yourself in the foot here.

FulmeR

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Is this game even remotely fun? Even the videos of it working properly seem so "blah". Just seems like the most generic rehashed game of all time, with a car thrown in.

Thank you! I was starting to feel like I was the only one that was NOT pumped for this game before its realease. It looked like complete crap! Glad to know my "crap-game" spider senses are still working

Browser

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Yes it is actually a fun game, it's just that it's had such a marred release.

I've only finished the first few missions / few hours because I figured I'd wait for the patches to come out before really digging into it.

Once the glitches are sorted out it will be a great game, though id software really dropped the ball on the PC version at release time. It's like they paid little to no specific attention for the PC, which is shocking and disappointing especially from id software.

To make it worse I don't buy their claims of blaming drivers for pretty much everything and then releasing patches, after all didn't they need drivers to test the game on the PC before release, or did they just skip that part. Also all this talking they're supposedly doing with the driver vendors should have been done before release if there were problems. If the game does present new problems for drivers you can hardly expect updated drivers to come out before the vendors have had time to test, update, retest etc. It's all 100% id software's fault.

Good game, but id failed in a truly epic fashion with the PC release and their attitude about both that and the PC in general doesn't make me want to be very sympathetic.

Great game or not, it is the last one I buy from id purely because it's an "id" game.

[citation][nom]Browser[/nom]...I've only finished the first few missions / few hours because I figured I'd wait for the patches to come out before really digging into it...[/citation]

How's the AI up to this point? 1 guy shoots from cover, and alternates between popping out of cover either high or low, and the guy charges you in a zig-zag pattern. Repeat. Repeat. How many enemy combatants ever attacked you all at the same time? 2-3?

I'm just asking... following up on some comments I heard/came across.

drew_nikel

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
This is a GREAT GAME. after the first patch and the the updated catalyst beta drivers, Rage runs absolutely smooth for me. Though it is lacking in story, it makes up for it with much diversity. As a shooter its very smooth and very fun to play. The few mini games are pretty good too. I've been sitting in my chair for hours trying to perfect the the knife/finger minigame. I get beat at round 5. The card game is nice as well. The car racing/shooter experience is simply awesome, and adds to the depth of gameplay. The graphics are equivelant to most directx 10 games but with much higher frates. Its unfortunate that so many others are having difficulty running this game, but for me this game runs almost flawless.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]saxplayingcompnerd[/nom]Rage= massive flop, the end.I was thinking about getting rage when i heard about it, but after seeing how awful the textures are and how the developers seem to not care that oblivion with a few mods has better textures, I don't think ill get it until I can find it for less than $15.[/citation]

id mande the game not brethersta, which roaly fd oblivion for the consoles, look at early pc only ai demos.

[citation][nom]ragesux[/nom]Is this game even remotely fun? Even the videos of it working properly seem so "blah". Just seems like the most generic rehashed game of all time, with a car thrown in.[/citation]

if you like shooters, this is by FAR the best one you can get, as the ai is that good.

[citation][nom]Browser[/nom]Yes it is actually a fun game, it's just that it's had such a marred release. I've only finished the first few missions / few hours because I figured I'd wait for the patches to come out before really digging into it.Once the glitches are sorted out it will be a great game, though id software really dropped the ball on the PC version at release time. It's like they paid little to no specific attention for the PC, which is shocking and disappointing especially from id software.To make it worse I don't buy their claims of blaming drivers for pretty much everything and then releasing patches, after all didn't they need drivers to test the game on the PC before release, or did they just skip that part. Also all this talking they're supposedly doing with the driver vendors should have been done before release if there were problems. If the game does present new problems for drivers you can hardly expect updated drivers to come out before the vendors have had time to test, update, retest etc. It's all 100% id software's fault.Good game, but id failed in a truly epic fashion with the PC release and their attitude about both that and the PC in general doesn't make me want to be very sympathetic.Great game or not, it is the last one I buy from id purely because it's an "id" game.[/citation]

not everyone had problems with the game on the pc when it was launched, amd seams to have suffered the most, but even than many people had no problems at all.

giving the game a patch to help the people who drivers had nothing to do with it is a nice little gesture.

[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]How's the AI up to this point? 1 guy shoots from cover, and alternates between popping out of cover either high or low, and the guy charges you in a zig-zag pattern. Repeat. Repeat. How many enemy combatants ever attacked you all at the same time? 2-3?I'm just asking... following up on some comments I heard/came across.[/citation]

the ai id different on different difficulties, from what i underatand, easy is... well... bad. normal shows you what the ai can do, and not sure about the higher difficulties, because i dodnt keep up with talk post launch. the girst few hours of the game are said to be kind of a grind, with mixed impressions, some love it some hate it, but once you are out of that, people generally praise the game.

-----

all that said, i want a game to come out, that had 5 graphical settings, 1 for low end, one for mid, one for high, one for dual card high, and one as a higher than that joke. as in you pick the highest one, the graphics are broken to the point its worse than the low end, but eats the crap out of system resources, with an ongoing joke of patching the game to make the 4 low end look better on less resources, but the highest end fixes one aspect but completely breaks another, just to screw with everyone who has to have the best of the best or its crap.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
My drivers aren't even up to date and I haven't run into any bugs...
The only problem this game seems to have is that delayed texture loading BS.

The Ai isn't bad, their decently elusive. I'm on hard and these guys pull acrobatic shit everytime they spot me...

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I also forgot to mention...
Don't these dupes even bother installing their bloody games on a PC that "isn't" configured to their specifics just to see wtf happens???
Just a thought, since this "Bicubic-upsample" seems to be the largest fail that a game was completely built upon I've ever seen...

jjtober1

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I got Rage about 4 days after release, I'm not a huge shooter fan but mostly enjoyed it. In the past Carmack and id have been very community minded and I wanted to support them.
As far as the game, I put in the Catalyst preview driver for Rage and it worked fine on my 5850. I upgraded to a GTX580 recently and it worked excellent on that as well w/o any preview drivers.
Over all the game really did look beautiful, ran super nice too. Used about 40% of my 580 most of the time, constant 60fps. A few ugly textures, but I only remember seeing a couple that really bothered me.
Wish they would mega-texture a more appealing world than a desert wasteland though... that's id for ya.

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
This game is a big, big letdown for me. The game starts out fine, I played it fine, no major beef with it. But, it's just too short!!!

I mean, what the hell, the final mission was utter crap!!! It just ends, abruptly, making me feel very frustrated for investing time into it. The story seemed like it was just unfolding, and then poof it ends.

spud82

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
The game was fun to play but needed to be more in depth an was far far to short..... id/bethesda spokesperson says 15hrs playtime for main story. BAH, finished it in less than 7hrs. what a joke for such a massive game.
Also it was to linear, needed to be more oblivion like, free roam an explore pretty much whatever you can see.....

for people that havent played it...... PLS dont bother. wait till its dirt cheap. GET SKYRIM!!!!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]ragesux[/nom]Is this game even remotely fun? Even the videos of it working properly seem so "blah". Just seems like the most generic rehashed game of all time, with a car thrown in.[/citation]

kudos to your opinion dude , i want to ask who the hell gave you thumbs down just for stating your opinion. I for one compeltelya gree with you every thign i've seen on this game just makes me yawn and "been there done that" , people should NOT give thumbs down to people's legitemate opinions , it's not like you came on and blasted the game or the game developers themselves.

two things the world never lacks though .. opinions and assholes.

any way i gave you thumbs up to help negate the BS thumbs down some ass hat gave you cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.