Sign in with
Your question

Reoccurring problem, need help

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
December 9, 2010 6:12:24 PM

Hey guys, a couple days ago I posted a topic because I was having system stability problems with my HD PVR and recording. After that, I managed to without changing anything, run the PVR perfectly for several hours. So I was a mixture of happy and nervous because if it wasn't the PVR's fault, then what caused it? A couple hours later, the previous problem shoved into the back of my mind practically forgotten, the same thing happened again will watching a Supreme Commander replay. I was tired and about to go to bed anyway so I though nothing about it and decided I would just reboot it tomorrow (which would be today). However, just after selecting my user name, it froze just like what happened when I had what I thought to be a problem with the PVR. This time however, it obviously had nothing to do with the PVR at all.

I will now give just about all the information that I can think of:
System Specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom ii x6 1075t at stock clocks and voltages
Motherboard: Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
RAM: G.skill 8 gig, all 8 gigs are registered by the os and fully functional
GPU: Palit GTX460
PSU: Corsair VX550

More info on the problem: Has happened four times in about 6 hours of up-time on the PC(starting from the first time it crashed, before that it didn't). None of the times that it has happened was the CPU under a large amount of stress and the temps where perfectly normal (all around 30-40c) according to speed fan. Everything seems to work perfectly with the exception of these random crashes. The biggest problem with the crashes is that it freezes when I try to sign in on my account. I am beginning to think that the motherboard is at fault, so I really need to know before the 30-day return police is over.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

More about : reoccurring problem

December 9, 2010 7:14:31 PM

Some more info:
Just got it to boot in safe mode after a couple tries and after going into the event viewer I found two messages about an unavalible command during the last time it froze when I tried to reboot. First one said "The winlogon notification subscriber <SessionEnv> was unable to handle a notification event. This was classified as an information level message. The next:"The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> was unable to handle a notification event" was classified as a warning message.

After looking at the previous ones, those messages where present every time I booted up the PC and it froze. There was also a much longer one that I found saying something about an event subsystem is suppressing duplicate log entries for a duration of 86400 seconds. It then goes on to say how the suppression timeout can be changed. REG_DWORD value named SupressDuplicateDuration under the following registry key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\EventSystem\EventLog

Any help would be much appreciated .

Edit: Well I was just looking at the system messages instead of the app messages and I found this: The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event id not installed on your local computer or the install is corrupted you can install or repair the component on the local computer. This error happened every time I rebooted the computer according to the system time. So I am thinking that it is software and not hardware, but I have no idea as to how to fix it.
m
l
December 9, 2010 8:30:38 PM

I had an Asus M4A785TD-V EVO and suffered from various random unexplained crashes, lockups and boot fails until I updated the BIOS - it fixed all my problems. I ended up running BIOS 2103 and very stable. Running Windows7 Professional 64bit. Could be worth checking your BIOS version.
m
l
Related resources
December 9, 2010 8:40:58 PM

Alright, ill give it a shot and see if it helps, thanks

Edit: After checking, I already had BIOS version 2103. I also double checked all of the other drivers and all of them were the most recent ones with no older versions at all.
m
l
December 12, 2010 10:10:20 AM

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble. Have you considered substituting the HDD and fresh installing XP on to that drive? It would then part prove if the fault is software or hardware. Considering the system freezes before you even login may point towards a bad/corrupt driver load or even something wierd like bad memory or even voltage issues(PSU output stability). I know one of my PC's will not run with the stock BIOS voltages and I have to give it extra volts in the BIOS otherwise it bluescreens all the time.(Intel E6850 stock Asus board BIOS V=1.2 and I'm running it at 1.35V.) Anyway, just a few ideas - I would really be interested in any progress you make.
m
l
December 14, 2010 8:59:59 PM

mikej101 said:
Sorry to hear you are still having trouble. Have you considered substituting the HDD and fresh installing XP on to that drive? It would then part prove if the fault is software or hardware. Considering the system freezes before you even login may point towards a bad/corrupt driver load or even something wierd like bad memory or even voltage issues(PSU output stability). I know one of my PC's will not run with the stock BIOS voltages and I have to give it extra volts in the BIOS otherwise it bluescreens all the time.(Intel E6850 stock Asus board BIOS V=1.2 and I'm running it at 1.35V.) Anyway, just a few ideas - I would really be interested in any progress you make.

Hey, its kind of been awhile since I have been on here partly because it has been awhile since my PC has been doing this and I have also been busy with other things. For awhile it worked just fine, but again today it did the same thing to me. I was just starting playing a game again after playing it for several hours without a problem, when it randomly froze and did not let me sign back in. The temps were fine as I had actually shut it down after playing on it for several hours to get some food and take a break. It is seeming very random, it has been it now with several different software apps running and such, even while it was idling normally it froze once. Any other suggestions as to what I could try?
m
l
!