Resource Sharing within a Workgroup

I manage a small network is organized as a workgroup, not as a domain. Is
there some way to grant users access to a resource on a computer, e.g., a
printer, without at the same time allowing the users to logon to the computer
that shares the printer?

I've thought of two approaches, but can't find information pertinent to
either one.

1) Configure a local user account on the machine with the printer so that
the user is unable to logon but is able to connect to a shared resource. In
other words, can Windows XP security settings differentiate between "logon"
and "connection"?

2) Make the printer available to unauthenticated users. In this case, the
users would not have local accounts on the machine with the printer.

Are either of these possible? Are there security considerations for either
approach that would make it inadvisable? Are there other, better ways to
accomplish my goal?
2 answers Last reply
More about resource sharing workgroup

    I have a similar problem. I have just been tasked with setting up a small
    workgroup for 5 users each with their own workstation. I am used to working
    with a domain and have found myself confused as to sharing and security on a
    workgroup.

    I have a shared folder which i only want 2 of the 5 users to be able to
    access using a mapped drive. The folder is stored locally on 1 of those 2
    users pc's. The problem is the security tab for that folder doesnt allow me
    to add the other user located on a different pc. what would be the normal
    way to only allow access to that specific user from a different pc without
    allowing them to logon locally.

    thanks in advance
    --
    Luke Wingfield Digby

    "Peter" wrote:

    > I manage a small network is organized as a workgroup, not as a domain. Is
    > there some way to grant users access to a resource on a computer, e.g., a
    > printer, without at the same time allowing the users to logon to the computer
    > that shares the printer?
    >
    > I've thought of two approaches, but can't find information pertinent to
    > either one.
    >
    > 1) Configure a local user account on the machine with the printer so that
    > the user is unable to logon but is able to connect to a shared resource. In
    > other words, can Windows XP security settings differentiate between "logon"
    > and "connection"?
    >
    > 2) Make the printer available to unauthenticated users. In this case, the
    > users would not have local accounts on the machine with the printer.
    >
    > Are either of these possible? Are there security considerations for either
    > approach that would make it inadvisable? Are there other, better ways to
    > accomplish my goal?

    NTFS permissions can be used to provide access to workgroup/domain resources
    and deny logon to a local computer.

Security Printers Windows XP