Upgrading from 9800 PRO?

Here is my problem. My system is:
Dell 8250
Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz
1 gig of PC1066 Ram
ATI 9800 PRO
17 inch Planar LCD with 16ms response.

I am a student and probably will not be able to upgrade my system for at
least a year, possibly two. I can however, afford to buy a new AGP graphics
card. Because my main monitor is LCD and the native resolution is
1280x1024, games don't look their best at lower resolutions that give me
better frames. I would like to get a steady 50-60 fps in most newer games
at that resolution. I want to extend the longevity of my system for at least
another year, possibly two.

Does anyone think the X800 PRO is worth the upgrade? I would upgrade to the
X800 XT or XT PE but I simply cannot get my hands on one. I don't think
there will be a XT PE caliber part available for AGP machines anytime soon.
So does anyone think I am wasting my money on an X800 PRO and should just
stick with my 9800 PRO? I'd hate to get an x800 PRO and plug it in and not
really see much of a difference.

Thanks,
Chalky

"Chalky" <loudasheck@aol.com> wrote in message
> Here is my problem. My system is:
> Dell 8250
> Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz
> 1 gig of PC1066 Ram
> ATI 9800 PRO
> 17 inch Planar LCD with 16ms response.
>
> I am a student and probably will not be able to upgrade my system for at
> least a year, possibly two. I can however, afford to buy a new AGP
> graphics card. Because my main monitor is LCD and the native resolution
> is 1280x1024, games don't look their best at lower resolutions that give
> me better frames. I would like to get a steady 50-60 fps in most newer
> games at that resolution. I want to extend the longevity of my system for
> at least another year, possibly two.
>
> Does anyone think the X800 PRO is worth the upgrade? I would upgrade to
> the X800 XT or XT PE but I simply cannot get my hands on one. I don't
> think there will be a XT PE caliber part available for AGP machines
> anytime soon. So does anyone think I am wasting my money on an X800 PRO
> and should just stick with my 9800 PRO? I'd hate to get an x800 PRO and
> plug it in and not really see much of a difference.
>
> Thanks,
> Chalky

Have a look here: -

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html

for a good comparison between many, many different types of cards.

Glennbo

Chalky wrote:
> Here is my problem. My system is:
> Dell 8250
> Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz
> 1 gig of PC1066 Ram
> ATI 9800 PRO
> 17 inch Planar LCD with 16ms response.
>
> Does anyone think the X800 PRO is worth the upgrade? I would upgrade to
> the
I think your processor is going to be as much of a bottleneck as your
graphics card in half the games out.
I'd leave that upgrade for a little while personally.

Since you're a student, consider puchasing beer & fags instead :)

--
STE ;¬!

NaDa

STE ;¬! wrote:

> Chalky wrote:
>
>>Here is my problem. My system is:
>>Dell 8250
>>Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz
>>1 gig of PC1066 Ram
>>ATI 9800 PRO
>>17 inch Planar LCD with 16ms response.
>>
>>Does anyone think the X800 PRO is worth the upgrade? I would upgrade to
>>the
>
> I think your processor is going to be as much of a bottleneck as your
> graphics card in half the games out.
> I'd leave that upgrade for a little while personally.
>
> Since you're a student, consider puchasing beer & fags instead :)

You can download FAGs...FAQs free from the internet!

Taking a moment's reflection, Nada mused:

| You can download FAGs...FAQs free from the internet!

But, you can't smoke a FAQ!

"Chalky" <loudasheck@aol.com> wrote in message
> Here is my problem. My system is:
> Dell 8250
> Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz
> 1 gig of PC1066 Ram
> ATI 9800 PRO
> 17 inch Planar LCD with 16ms response.
>
> I am a student and probably will not be able to upgrade my system for at
> least a year, possibly two. I can however, afford to buy a new AGP
> graphics card. Because my main monitor is LCD and the native resolution
> is 1280x1024, games don't look their best at lower resolutions that give
> me better frames. I would like to get a steady 50-60 fps in most newer
> games at that resolution. I want to extend the longevity of my system for
> at least another year, possibly two.

<snip>

Well, the X800 Pro is about 1.5 times faster than the 9800 Pro. That's not
to say that your overall system performance will jump that much, however.
If you're hoping to maintain a screen resolution of 1280x1024 because of
your flat panel, I would not be confident enough to say that the X800 Pro
would let you play all of your games at 50fps or more for more than another
year. I can also see your processor as being somewhat of a bottleneck on
the X800 Pro (although not severe), but there's no doubt that the X800 Pro
would buy you some additional time with your current system. If you wanted,
you could gamble and wait to see if ATI will release a card like the X800 XL
in AGP. I wouldn't bet on it, but ATI will lose a good chunk of customers
for the product refresh if they don't accomodate AGP. The X800 XL would be
a sweet AGP card indeed, and at a good price, if they released it as such.
Even I would be tempted.

a good cost effective upgrade over a 9800pro is a 6800 OC. Great cards,
cheap and theyre totally ninja...

"Chalky" <loudasheck@aol.com> wrote in message
> Here is my problem. My system is:
> Dell 8250
> Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz
> 1 gig of PC1066 Ram
> ATI 9800 PRO
> 17 inch Planar LCD with 16ms response.
>
> I am a student and probably will not be able to upgrade my system for at
> least a year, possibly two. I can however, afford to buy a new AGP
graphics
> card. Because my main monitor is LCD and the native resolution is
> 1280x1024, games don't look their best at lower resolutions that give me
> better frames. I would like to get a steady 50-60 fps in most newer games
> at that resolution. I want to extend the longevity of my system for at
least
> another year, possibly two.
>
> Does anyone think the X800 PRO is worth the upgrade? I would upgrade to
the
> X800 XT or XT PE but I simply cannot get my hands on one. I don't think
> there will be a XT PE caliber part available for AGP machines anytime
soon.
> So does anyone think I am wasting my money on an X800 PRO and should just
> stick with my 9800 PRO? I'd hate to get an x800 PRO and plug it in and
not
> really see much of a difference.
>
> Thanks,
> Chalky

Chingy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

yeah I agree 6800 GT than u overclock it with good PSU and cooling..

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> "Chalky" <loudasheck@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Here is my problem. My system is:
>> Dell 8250
>> Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz
>> 1 gig of PC1066 Ram
>> ATI 9800 PRO
>> 17 inch Planar LCD with 16ms response.
>>
>> I am a student and probably will not be able to upgrade my system for at
>> least a year, possibly two. I can however, afford to buy a new AGP
>> graphics card. Because my main monitor is LCD and the native resolution
>> is 1280x1024, games don't look their best at lower resolutions that give
>> me better frames. I would like to get a steady 50-60 fps in most newer
>> games at that resolution. I want to extend the longevity of my system for
>> at least another year, possibly two.
>>
> <snip>
>

> Well, the X800 Pro is about 1.5 times faster than the 9800 Pro. That's
> not to say that your overall system performance will jump that much,
> however. If you're hoping to maintain a screen resolution of 1280x1024
> because of your flat panel, I would not be confident enough to say that
> the X800 Pro would let you play all of your games at 50fps or more for
> more than another year. I can also see your processor as being somewhat
> of a bottleneck on the X800 Pro (although not severe), but there's no
> doubt that the X800 Pro would buy you some additional time with your
> current system. If you wanted, you could gamble and wait to see if ATI
> will release a card like the X800 XL in AGP. I wouldn't bet on it, but
> ATI will lose a good chunk of customers for the product refresh if they
> don't accomodate AGP. The X800 XL would be a sweet AGP card indeed, and
> at a good price, if they released it as such. Even I would be tempted.

yeah, sell him a betta card even his 16ms flat monitor is way too lame for
decent gameplay..
Exactly what I think is going on here in this group :)

mhicaoidh wrote:

> Taking a moment's reflection, Nada mused:
> |
> | You can download FAGs...FAQs free from the internet!
>
> But, you can't smoke a FAQ!

Unless you print it out on the uni's printer using their paper. But that's
not a very good smoke.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)