Windows Activation loop

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

My computer's power supply fried and took the motherboard with it, so new
motherboard, new power supply and we're all set right, nope as one would
guess MS has me re-activivate windows Xp , however the automated synthetic
voice "Could not activate my product at this time."
All the web pages seem to go in a circle help please!

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:A3A01F9F-3D07-4A36-88C3-832512813E41@microsoft.com,
Roy <Roy@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> My computer's power supply fried and took the motherboard with it, so
> new motherboard, new power supply and we're all set right, nope as
> one would guess MS has me re-activivate windows Xp , however the
> automated synthetic voice "Could not activate my product at this
> time."
> All the web pages seem to go in a circle help please!

Use the activate by phone option. It's generally been quite painless the two
times I have had to do so.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

Tried the phone activation first, no joy.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:A3A01F9F-3D07-4A36-88C3-832512813E41@microsoft.com,
> Roy <Roy@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > My computer's power supply fried and took the motherboard with it, so
> > new motherboard, new power supply and we're all set right, nope as
> > one would guess MS has me re-activivate windows Xp , however the
> > automated synthetic voice "Could not activate my product at this
> > time."
> > All the web pages seem to go in a circle help please!
>
> Use the activate by phone option. It's generally been quite painless the two
> times I have had to do so.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Malke

Roy wrote:

> Tried the phone activation first, no joy.

Why not? What happened?

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Stay on the line after the automated voice system fails, you then can speak
with a person.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"Roy" <Roy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Tried the phone activation first, no joy.
>
> "Galen" wrote:
>
>> In news:A3A01F9F-3D07-4A36-88C3-832512813E41@microsoft.com,
>> Roy <Roy@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>> > My computer's power supply fried and took the motherboard with it, so
>> > new motherboard, new power supply and we're all set right, nope as
>> > one would guess MS has me re-activivate windows Xp , however the
>> > automated synthetic voice "Could not activate my product at this
>> > time."
>> > All the web pages seem to go in a circle help please!
>>
>> Use the activate by phone option. It's generally been quite painless the
>> two
>> times I have had to do so.
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
>> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
>> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
>> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

If this was a major brand PC (e.g., Dell, Gateway, Compaq), and if you did
not replace the motherboard with one obtained from the PC maker, you need to
go and buy a full retail copy of XP. Let me explain:

PC makers use what are called "OEM" copies of XP. These are licenced only
for the original hardware, more specifically usually to the original
motherboard BIOS. On such a PC you can change anything, except the
motherboard. Once you change the motherboard, the license for XP is voided.
This is not simply a legal principle. Rather it is enforce via the product
activation. In fact, Microsoft will not directly support any OEM version of
XP, since part of the deal for cheap copies of XP is that the PC maker
support the PC, including issues with XP. If this applies to you, contac
tthe PC maker, not Microsoft.

If you built the PC, and chose to use an OEM copy of XP, then you can look
only to yourself for help, since you are the OEM in this case.

However, if you built the PC with a full retail version of XP (or retail
upgrade), then you should be able to eventually get Microsoft to assist.
However, you may need to wade thorugh a lot of voice menus before you get a
real person.

"Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If this was a major brand PC (e.g., Dell, Gateway, Compaq), and if you did
> not replace the motherboard with one obtained from the PC maker, you need
> go and buy a full retail copy of XP. Let me explain:
>
> PC makers use what are called "OEM" copies of XP. These are licenced only
> for the original hardware, more specifically usually to the original
> motherboard BIOS. On such a PC you can change anything, except the
> motherboard. Once you change the motherboard, the license for XP is
voided.
> This is not simply a legal principle. Rather it is enforce via the
product
> activation. In fact, Microsoft will not directly support any OEM version
of
> XP, since part of the deal for cheap copies of XP is that the PC maker
> support the PC, including issues with XP. If this applies to you, contac
> tthe PC maker, not Microsoft.
>
> If you built the PC, and chose to use an OEM copy of XP, then you can look
> only to yourself for help, since you are the OEM in this case.
>
> However, if you built the PC with a full retail version of XP (or retail
> upgrade), then you should be able to eventually get Microsoft to assist.
> However, you may need to wade thorugh a lot of voice menus before you get
> real person.

If I buy an OEM version of XP, will Microsoft allow me to activate it, since
there is a company http://www.software-disks.com selling this OEM product.
One of their terms is that the manufacturer will not support the product,
which sounds pretty iffy to me.

TRENDING THREADS