Cannot access XP sharing even settings are right

Dear all,

I have four windows xp pro sp1 pcs. All of them have network shares
that enable others to change.
I have access problem to PC1 and PC2 with the following error:

\\PC1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resources. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
you have access permissions.
Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon
type at this computer.

Information:
1. All of the PCs use the same workgroup name
2. All of the PCs use the same network (192.168.1.X) and subnet
3. All software firewall have been disabled in all pcs
4. All PCs could be shown in Network Neighbour
5. PC1 and PC2 can access freely to PC3 and PC4
6. Error occur when accessing (By UI / UNC) PC3 and PC4, except access their
own, eg. successful when PC1 connecting the \\PC1
7. All of the PCs have the same users (administrator privilege)

Regards,
Taboo
3 answers Last reply
More about cannot access sharing settings right

    In article <et6Enu0XFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Tabootest"
    <tabootest@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >Dear all,
    >
    > I have four windows xp pro sp1 pcs. All of them have network shares
    >that enable others to change.
    > I have access problem to PC1 and PC2 with the following error:
    >
    > \\PC1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    >network resources. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
    >you have access permissions.
    > Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon
    >type at this computer.
    >
    >Information:
    >1. All of the PCs use the same workgroup name
    >2. All of the PCs use the same network (192.168.1.X) and subnet
    >3. All software firewall have been disabled in all pcs
    >4. All PCs could be shown in Network Neighbour
    >5. PC1 and PC2 can access freely to PC3 and PC4
    >6. Error occur when accessing (By UI / UNC) PC3 and PC4, except access their
    >own, eg. successful when PC1 connecting the \\PC1
    >7. All of the PCs have the same users (administrator privilege)
    >
    >Regards,
    >Taboo

    The logon failure message indicates that the user account that's
    trying to access a shared disk or folder on a different computer
    doesn't have the proper access permissions.

    On each computer:

    1. Click Start | Run, type "secpol.msc" in the box, and click OK.
    2. Click Local Policies.
    3. Click User Rights Assignment.
    4. Click "Access this computer from the network" and make sure that
    the Everyone group is included.
    5. Click "Deny access to this computer from the network" and make sure
    that the Everyone group is NOT included.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    In article <et6Enu0XFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, tabootest@hotmail.com
    says...
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I have four windows xp pro sp1 pcs. All of them have network shares
    > that enable others to change.
    > I have access problem to PC1 and PC2 with the following error:
    >
    > \\PC1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    > network resources. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
    > you have access permissions.
    > Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon
    > type at this computer.
    >
    > Information:
    > 1. All of the PCs use the same workgroup name
    > 2. All of the PCs use the same network (192.168.1.X) and subnet
    > 3. All software firewall have been disabled in all pcs
    > 4. All PCs could be shown in Network Neighbour
    > 5. PC1 and PC2 can access freely to PC3 and PC4
    > 6. Error occur when accessing (By UI / UNC) PC3 and PC4, except access their
    > own, eg. successful when PC1 connecting the \\PC1
    > 7. All of the PCs have the same users (administrator privilege)

    Do all PC's have the same password for the same user - meaning does
    User1/password1 and User2/password2 exist on ALL computers?

    If you created shares with FULL permission, then the only thing that's
    stopping you is a properly configured user/password on each machine that
    matches the same USER/PASSWORD on the other machines.

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos wrote:

    > Do all PC's have the same password for the same user - meaning does
    > User1/password1 and User2/password2 exist on ALL computers?
    >
    > If you created shares with FULL permission, then the only thing that's
    > stopping you is a properly configured user/password on each machine that
    > matches the same USER/PASSWORD on the other machines.
    Hi,

    Or it could be a ForceGuest issue as well.

    Note that for Windows XP in a workgroup setting, default all connections
    coming from "the network" will be authenticated as the Guest User.

    Note that for WinXP Home you cannot disable the ForceGuest behavior
    (only in WinXP Pro).

    A direct registry edit is possible to change this setting:

    HOWTO: Validate User Credentials on Microsoft Operating Systems

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;180548

    <quote>
    On Windows XP, the ForceGuest registry value is set to 1 by default in
    the following registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

    On a Windows XP computer that is a member of a workgroup:

    If ForceGuest is enabled (set to 1), SSPI will always try to log on
    using the Guest account.

    If the Guest account is enabled, an SSPI logon will succeed as Guest
    for any user credentials.

    If the Guest account is disabled, an SSPI logon will fail even for
    valid credentials.

    If ForceGuest is disabled (set to 0), SSPI will log on as the specified
    user.

    </quote>

    Note that "Folder Options/Use simple file sharing" and GPEDIT.MSC and
    the "Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts"
    policy setting is just another way of changing the ForceGuest value.

    More about ForceGuest here as well:

    How to Set Security in Windows XP Professional That Is Installed
    in a Workgroup
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290403

    SMTP Authentication Configuration on Windows XP Professional Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304707

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

PCS Windows XP