How can I get the default IE security zone settings?

Hi,

I've installed security application, secure-it which makes changes to
security zones in IE by registry. Unfortunetaly some web application now
don't work due to restrictive settings and I don't know what was exactly
changed. It doesn't help to unistall application. Is there any way how to get
default IE security zone settings?
Help please.
Thanks a lot
8 answers Last reply
More about default security zone settings

    Open Internet Explorer
    Click Tools/Internet Options
    Click Security tab.
    Click Default Level

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Miroslav Kubik" <kubik_miroslav@seznam.cz> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've installed security application, secure-it which makes changes to
    > security zones in IE by registry. Unfortunetaly some web application now
    > don't work due to restrictive settings and I don't know what was exactly
    > changed. It doesn't help to unistall application. Is there any way how to
    > get
    > default IE security zone settings?
    > Help please.
    > Thanks a lot

    No, this won't help, because zones have been changed straight in registry. It
    means that default setting is now different from original settings. Have you
    got *.reg files which change my zones to original default?

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > Open Internet Explorer
    > Click Tools/Internet Options
    > Click Security tab.
    > Click Default Level
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "Miroslav Kubik" <kubik_miroslav@seznam.cz> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I've installed security application, secure-it which makes changes to
    > > security zones in IE by registry. Unfortunetaly some web application now
    > > don't work due to restrictive settings and I don't know what was exactly
    > > changed. It doesn't help to unistall application. Is there any way how to
    > > get
    > > default IE security zone settings?
    > > Help please.
    > > Thanks a lot

    /contact the manufacturer for the specific changes or a Repair Installation
    may be in order.

    --

    Miroslav Kubik wrote:
    > No, this won't help, because zones have been changed straight in registry. It
    > means that default setting is now different from original settings. Have you
    > got *.reg files which change my zones to original default?
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
    >

    >>Open Internet Explorer
    >>Click Tools/Internet Options
    >>Click Security tab.
    >>Click Default Level
    >>
    >>--
    >>Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >>http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    >>In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
    >>http://www.dts-l.org
    >>

    >>"Miroslav Kubik" <kubik_miroslav@seznam.cz> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I've installed security application, secure-it which makes changes to
    >>>security zones in IE by registry. Unfortunetaly some web application now
    >>>don't work due to restrictive settings and I don't know what was exactly
    >>>changed. It doesn't help to unistall application. Is there any way how to
    >>>get
    >>>default IE security zone settings?
    >>>Help please.
    >>>Thanks a lot

    Have you tried uninstalling "Secure-it"?

    "Miroslav Kubik" <kubik_miroslav@seznam.cz> wrote in message
    > No, this won't help, because zones have been changed straight in registry.
    It
    > means that default setting is now different from original settings. Have
    you
    > got *.reg files which change my zones to original default?

    Try a System Restore to a point earlier than the date that the problem first
    arose. Go there via:
    Start\My Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore. If you can't find
    a suitable date to restore to, there's not much you can do.

    Assuming that the Security_HKLM_Only Policy is not enabled:

    Login as Administrator (or another user profile), and export this registry
    key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\Zones\<Zone ID>

    Then, login to your profile and merge the REG contents.

    Alternately, you can export the said registry key from another computer
    running Windows XP.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Miroslav Kubik" <kubik_miroslav@seznam.cz> wrote in message
    > No, this won't help, because zones have been changed straight in registry.
    > It
    > means that default setting is now different from original settings. Have
    > you
    > got *.reg files which change my zones to original default?
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Open Internet Explorer
    >> Click Tools/Internet Options
    >> Click Security tab.
    >> Click Default Level
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.dts-l.org
    >>

    >> "Miroslav Kubik" <kubik_miroslav@seznam.cz> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I've installed security application, secure-it which makes changes to
    >> > security zones in IE by registry. Unfortunetaly some web application
    >> > now
    >> > don't work due to restrictive settings and I don't know what was
    >> > exactly
    >> > changed. It doesn't help to unistall application. Is there any way how
    >> > get
    >> > default IE security zone settings?
    >> > Help please.
    >> > Thanks a lot

    Perfect, thanks. Exactly what I needed.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Assuming that the Security_HKLM_Only Policy is not enabled:
    >
    > Login as Administrator (or another user profile), and export this registry
    > key:
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    > Settings\Zones\<Zone ID>
    >
    > Then, login to your profile and merge the REG contents.
    >
    > Alternately, you can export the said registry key from another computer
    > running Windows XP.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Miroslav Kubik" <kubik_miroslav@seznam.cz> wrote in message
    > > No, this won't help, because zones have been changed straight in registry.
    > > It
    > > means that default setting is now different from original settings. Have
    > > you
    > > got *.reg files which change my zones to original default?
    > >
    > > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Open Internet Explorer
    > >> Click Tools/Internet Options
    > >> Click Security tab.
    > >> Click Default Level
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
    > >> http://www.dts-l.org
    > >>

    > >> "Miroslav Kubik" <kubik_miroslav@seznam.cz> wrote in message

    You're very welcome!

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Perfect, thanks. Exactly what I needed.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Assuming that the Security_HKLM_Only Policy is not enabled:
    >>
    >> Login as Administrator (or another user profile), and export this
    >> registry
    >> key:
    >>
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    >> Settings\Zones\<Zone ID>
    >>
    >> Then, login to your profile and merge the REG contents.
    >>
    >> Alternately, you can export the said registry key from another computer
    >> running Windows XP.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Miroslav Kubik" <kubik_miroslav@seznam.cz> wrote in message
    >> > No, this won't help, because zones have been changed straight in
    >> > registry.
    >> > It
    >> > means that default setting is now different from original settings.
    >> > Have
    >> > you
    >> > got *.reg files which change my zones to original default?

Default Internet Explorer Security Windows XP