How can I get the default IE security zone settings?

a b 8 Security
May 23, 2005 1:02:02 AM

Hi,

I've installed security application, secure-it which makes changes to
security zones in IE by registry. Unfortunetaly some web application now
don't work due to restrictive settings and I don't know what was exactly
changed. It doesn't help to unistall application. Is there any way how to get
default IE security zone settings?
Help please.
Thanks a lot
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 23, 2005 2:32:37 AM

Open Internet Explorer
Click Tools/Internet Options
Click Security tab.
Click Default Level

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Miroslav Kubik" <kubik_miroslav@seznam.cz> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've installed security application, secure-it which makes changes to
> security zones in IE by registry. Unfortunetaly some web application now
> don't work due to restrictive settings and I don't know what was exactly
> changed. It doesn't help to unistall application. Is there any way how to
> get
> default IE security zone settings?
> Help please.
> Thanks a lot
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 23, 2005 7:37:13 AM

No, this won't help, because zones have been changed straight in registry. It
means that default setting is now different from original settings. Have you
got *.reg files which change my zones to original default?

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Open Internet Explorer
> Click Tools/Internet Options
> Click Security tab.
> Click Default Level
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Miroslav Kubik" <kubik_miroslav@seznam.cz> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've installed security application, secure-it which makes changes to
> > security zones in IE by registry. Unfortunetaly some web application now
> > don't work due to restrictive settings and I don't know what was exactly
> > changed. It doesn't help to unistall application. Is there any way how to
> > get
> > default IE security zone settings?
> > Help please.
> > Thanks a lot

a b 8 Security
May 23, 2005 2:29:46 PM

/contact the manufacturer for the specific changes or a Repair Installation
may be in order.

--

> No, this won't help, because zones have been changed straight in registry.
> It
> means that default setting is now different from original settings. Have
> you
> got *.reg files which change my zones to original default?
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Open Internet Explorer
>> Click Tools/Internet Options
>> Click Security tab.
>> Click Default Level
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>

>> "Miroslav Kubik" <kubik_miroslav@seznam.cz> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've installed security application, secure-it which makes changes to
>> > security zones in IE by registry. Unfortunetaly some web application
>> > now
>> > don't work due to restrictive settings and I don't know what was
>> > exactly
>> > changed. It doesn't help to unistall application. Is there any way how
>> > get
>> > default IE security zone settings?
>> > Help please.
>> > Thanks a lot

May 23, 2005 6:21:48 PM

Miroslav Kubik wrote:
> No, this won't help, because zones have been changed straight in registry. It
> means that default setting is now different from original settings. Have you
> got *.reg files which change my zones to original default?
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>Open Internet Explorer
>>Click Tools/Internet Options
>>Click Security tab.
>>Click Default Level
>>
>>--
>>Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>>http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>>In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
>>http://www.dts-l.org
>>

>>"Miroslav Kubik" <kubik_miroslav@seznam.cz> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I've installed security application, secure-it which makes changes to
>>>security zones in IE by registry. Unfortunetaly some web application now
>>>don't work due to restrictive settings and I don't know what was exactly
>>>changed. It doesn't help to unistall application. Is there any way how to
>>>get
>>>default IE security zone settings?
>>>Help please.
>>>Thanks a lot

Have you tried uninstalling "Secure-it"?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 23, 2005 10:23:10 PM

"Miroslav Kubik" <kubik_miroslav@seznam.cz> wrote in message
> No, this won't help, because zones have been changed straight in registry.
It
> means that default setting is now different from original settings. Have
you
> got *.reg files which change my zones to original default?

Try a System Restore to a point earlier than the date that the problem first
arose. Go there via:
Start\My Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore. If you can't find
a suitable date to restore to, there's not much you can do.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 24, 2005 12:49:14 PM

Assuming that the Security_HKLM_Only Policy is not enabled:

Login as Administrator (or another user profile), and export this registry
key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\<Zone ID>

Then, login to your profile and merge the REG contents.

Alternately, you can export the said registry key from another computer
running Windows XP.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Miroslav Kubik" <kubik_miroslav@seznam.cz> wrote in message
> No, this won't help, because zones have been changed straight in registry.
> It
> means that default setting is now different from original settings. Have
> you
> got *.reg files which change my zones to original default?
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Open Internet Explorer
>> Click Tools/Internet Options
>> Click Security tab.
>> Click Default Level
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>

>> "Miroslav Kubik" <kubik_miroslav@seznam.cz> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've installed security application, secure-it which makes changes to
>> > security zones in IE by registry. Unfortunetaly some web application
>> > now
>> > don't work due to restrictive settings and I don't know what was
>> > exactly
>> > changed. It doesn't help to unistall application. Is there any way how
>> > get
>> > default IE security zone settings?
>> > Help please.
>> > Thanks a lot

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 25, 2005 9:24:02 AM

Perfect, thanks. Exactly what I needed.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Assuming that the Security_HKLM_Only Policy is not enabled:
>
> Login as Administrator (or another user profile), and export this registry
> key:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings\Zones\<Zone ID>
>
> Then, login to your profile and merge the REG contents.
>
> Alternately, you can export the said registry key from another computer
> running Windows XP.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Miroslav Kubik" <kubik_miroslav@seznam.cz> wrote in message
> > No, this won't help, because zones have been changed straight in registry.
> > It
> > means that default setting is now different from original settings. Have
> > you
> > got *.reg files which change my zones to original default?
> >
> > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Open Internet Explorer
> >> Click Tools/Internet Options
> >> Click Security tab.
> >> Click Default Level
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> >> http://www.dts-l.org
> >>

> >> "Miroslav Kubik" <kubik_miroslav@seznam.cz> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b 8 Security