Internet Time Synchronisation

I am using Windows XP SP2 and IE 6.0 SP2 with a Belkin router with its
firewall disabled. The Windows firewall is on. I have the option of
synchronising with either time.windows.com or time.nist.gov. Both produce an
error when attempted, but whereas the error is unspecified on NIST, on
time.internet.com it says "The peer's stratum is less than the host
stratum." I've researched accessing the NIST Internet Time Service through a
firewall, but to no avail. Belkin help says that it is not the router that
is causing the problem. I have several anti-spy programs installed,
bt-yahoo, microsoft anti-spy (beta 1), spybot search and destroy and Adware
Filter, so I am wondering if they might be interfering, although there is no
change if I turn them off. No great shakes if I have to synchronise
manually with our local telephone time, but it would be better to correct
the fault. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Neville, the exact same thing used to happen to me until I changed time
server. It hasn't happened since. You can search the Internet for other
time servers. Sorry, I'm working from memory and I don't recall the process
to change it, but you can probably just search various newsgroups and find
out how. Good luck.

"Neville Davis" wrote:

> I am using Windows XP SP2 and IE 6.0 SP2 with a Belkin router with its
> firewall disabled. The Windows firewall is on. I have the option of
> synchronising with either time.windows.com or time.nist.gov. Both produce an
> error when attempted, but whereas the error is unspecified on NIST, on
> time.internet.com it says "The peer's stratum is less than the host
> stratum." I've researched accessing the NIST Internet Time Service through a
> firewall, but to no avail. Belkin help says that it is not the router that
> is causing the problem. I have several anti-spy programs installed,
> bt-yahoo, microsoft anti-spy (beta 1), spybot search and destroy and Adware
> Filter, so I am wondering if they might be interfering, although there is no
> change if I turn them off. No great shakes if I have to synchronise
> manually with our local telephone time, but it would be better to correct
> the fault. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Neville, here is a link to a PDF that describes how to change your time server.

http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/service/pdf/win2000xp.pdf

"CurtB" wrote:

> Neville, the exact same thing used to happen to me until I changed time
> server. It hasn't happened since. You can search the Internet for other
> time servers. Sorry, I'm working from memory and I don't recall the process
> to change it, but you can probably just search various newsgroups and find
> out how. Good luck.
>
> "Neville Davis" wrote:
>
> > I am using Windows XP SP2 and IE 6.0 SP2 with a Belkin router with its
> > firewall disabled. The Windows firewall is on. I have the option of
> > synchronising with either time.windows.com or time.nist.gov. Both produce an
> > error when attempted, but whereas the error is unspecified on NIST, on
> > time.internet.com it says "The peer's stratum is less than the host
> > stratum." I've researched accessing the NIST Internet Time Service through a
> > firewall, but to no avail. Belkin help says that it is not the router that
> > is causing the problem. I have several anti-spy programs installed,
> > bt-yahoo, microsoft anti-spy (beta 1), spybot search and destroy and Adware
> > Filter, so I am wondering if they might be interfering, although there is no
> > change if I turn them off. No great shakes if I have to synchronise
> > manually with our local telephone time, but it would be better to correct
> > the fault. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

time-a.nist.gov and time-b.nist.gov both work reliably for me.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"CurtB" <CurtB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CB3F3118-223A-43ED-9E5A-645BC1F6754E@microsoft.com...
> Neville, the exact same thing used to happen to me until I changed time
> server. It hasn't happened since. You can search the Internet for other
> time servers. Sorry, I'm working from memory and I don't recall the process
> to change it, but you can probably just search various newsgroups and find
> out how. Good luck.
>
> "Neville Davis" wrote:
>
>> I am using Windows XP SP2 and IE 6.0 SP2 with a Belkin router with its
>> firewall disabled. The Windows firewall is on. I have the option of
>> synchronising with either time.windows.com or time.nist.gov. Both produce an
>> error when attempted, but whereas the error is unspecified on NIST, on
>> time.internet.com it says "The peer's stratum is less than the host
>> stratum." I've researched accessing the NIST Internet Time Service through a
>> firewall, but to no avail. Belkin help says that it is not the router that
>> is causing the problem. I have several anti-spy programs installed,
>> bt-yahoo, microsoft anti-spy (beta 1), spybot search and destroy and Adware
>> Filter, so I am wondering if they might be interfering, although there is no
>> change if I turn them off. No great shakes if I have to synchronise
>> manually with our local telephone time, but it would be better to correct
>> the fault. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Neville,
Just copy what is in between the lines into a text file and save/name it
something like "TimeServers.reg" - then double-click on it and answer "OK"
to merge into your registry. Now when you double-click on the TIME on the
tool bar, and pick the "Internet Time" tab, the "server" box drop-down will
have all these servers for you to choose from to syncronize your clock.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DateTime\Servers]
@="1"
"1"="time.windows.com"
"2"="time.nist.gov"
"3"="clock.isc.org"
"4"="timekeeper.isi.edu"
"5"="usno.pa-x.dec.com"
"6"="tock.usno.navy.mil"
"7"="tick.usno.navy.mil"

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"Neville Davis" <neville.davis@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>I am using Windows XP SP2 and IE 6.0 SP2 with a Belkin router with its
>firewall disabled. The Windows firewall is on. I have the option of
>synchronising with either time.windows.com or time.nist.gov. Both produce
>an error when attempted, but whereas the error is unspecified on NIST, on
>time.internet.com it says "The peer's stratum is less than the host
>stratum." I've researched accessing the NIST Internet Time Service through
>a firewall, but to no avail. Belkin help says that it is not the router
>that is causing the problem. I have several anti-spy programs installed,
>bt-yahoo, microsoft anti-spy (beta 1), spybot search and destroy and Adware
>Filter, so I am wondering if they might be interfering, although there is
>no change if I turn them off. No great shakes if I have to synchronise
>manually with our local telephone time, but it would be better to correct
>the fault. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

That seems to happen on occasions, it'll rectify itself in due time - same thing
happening to me tonight. Don't worry about it.

"Neville Davis" <neville.davis@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>I am using Windows XP SP2 and IE 6.0 SP2 with a Belkin router with its firewall
>disabled. The Windows firewall is on. I have the option of synchronising with either
>time.windows.com or time.nist.gov. Both produce an error when attempted, but whereas
>the error is unspecified on NIST, on time.internet.com it says "The peer's stratum
>is less than the host stratum." I've researched accessing the NIST Internet Time
>Service through a firewall, but to no avail. Belkin help says that it is not the
>router that is causing the problem. I have several anti-spy programs installed,
>bt-yahoo, microsoft anti-spy (beta 1), spybot search and destroy and Adware Filter,
>so I am wondering if they might be interfering, although there is no change if I
>turn them off. No great shakes if I have to synchronise manually with our local
>telephone time, but it would be better to correct the fault. Any help would be
>appreciated. TIA.

That happens here too but more often than occassionally. I installed Tardis
which does the job much better.

SKS

"TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> That seems to happen on occasions, it'll rectify itself in due time - same
> thing happening to me tonight. Don't worry about it.
>

> "Neville Davis" <neville.davis@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>>I am using Windows XP SP2 and IE 6.0 SP2 with a Belkin router with its
>>firewall disabled. The Windows firewall is on. I have the option of
>>synchronising with either time.windows.com or time.nist.gov. Both produce
>>an error when attempted, but whereas the error is unspecified on NIST, on
>>time.internet.com it says "The peer's stratum is less than the host
>>stratum." I've researched accessing the NIST Internet Time Service through
>>a firewall, but to no avail. Belkin help says that it is not the router
>>that is causing the problem. I have several anti-spy programs installed,
>>bt-yahoo, microsoft anti-spy (beta 1), spybot search and destroy and
>>Adware Filter, so I am wondering if they might be interfering, although
>>there is no change if I turn them off. No great shakes if I have to
>>synchronise manually with our local telephone time, but it would be better
>>to correct the fault. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Thank you and SKS for the reassurance. Neville
"TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> That seems to happen on occasions, it'll rectify itself in due time - same
> thing happening to me tonight. Don't worry about it.
>

> "Neville Davis" <neville.davis@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>>I am using Windows XP SP2 and IE 6.0 SP2 with a Belkin router with its
>>firewall disabled. The Windows firewall is on. I have the option of
>>synchronising with either time.windows.com or time.nist.gov. Both produce
>>an error when attempted, but whereas the error is unspecified on NIST, on
>>time.internet.com it says "The peer's stratum is less than the host
>>stratum." I've researched accessing the NIST Internet Time Service through
>>a firewall, but to no avail. Belkin help says that it is not the router
>>that is causing the problem. I have several anti-spy programs installed,
>>bt-yahoo, microsoft anti-spy (beta 1), spybot search and destroy and
>>Adware Filter, so I am wondering if they might be interfering, although
>>there is no change if I turn them off. No great shakes if I have to
>>synchronise manually with our local telephone time, but it would be better
>>to correct the fault. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful. Just as I about to start
restructuring, I thought I'd better check once more. This morning internet
time syncronisation worked normally without any intervention whatsoever,
precisely as TaurArian suggested in his or her post that it would do! You
live and learn....
"Neville Davis" <neville.davis@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>I am using Windows XP SP2 and IE 6.0 SP2 with a Belkin router with its
>firewall disabled. The Windows firewall is on. I have the option of
>synchronising with either time.windows.com or time.nist.gov. Both produce
>an error when attempted, but whereas the error is unspecified on NIST, on
>time.internet.com it says "The peer's stratum is less than the host
>stratum." I've researched accessing the NIST Internet Time Service through
>a firewall, but to no avail. Belkin help says that it is not the router
>that is causing the problem. I have several anti-spy programs installed,
>bt-yahoo, microsoft anti-spy (beta 1), spybot search and destroy and Adware
>Filter, so I am wondering if they might be interfering, although there is
>no change if I turn them off. No great shakes if I have to synchronise
>manually with our local telephone time, but it would be better to correct
>the fault. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

I thought your suggestion was too good to miss,even if syncronisation was
working, so I did what you said. Brilliant! More choice, more chances of
success. Thanks.