Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool conflicts

Tags:
  • Software
  • Windows XP
May 23, 2005 4:28:31 PM

My computer was set to automatically update Windows as the updates come
out....major mistake! It downloaded this software removal tool & now I'm
having so much trouble. I use Norton & because it didn't always catch
everything, I also used Grisoft. After the update my email would no longer
be scanned by Grisoft & instead just keep running. So I removed Grisoft.
Now I can access my email okay, but if I click on a link, it locks up & keeps
running never opening the new file. On doing some internet research I again
clicked on a link to have everything lock up & never access it. Everything
worked fine before this was installed. I went back to a Restore point before
this was installed & after restoration it downloads the update before I can
stop it. Can anyone please tell me how to remove this tool? It says it's
not a program & runs in the background I'm assuming. I don't want it as it's
just messed up how everything runs on my computer. Please help.

More about : windows malicious software removal tool conflicts

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 7:11:49 PM

The Malicious Software Removal Tool from Automatic Updates runs once in the
background and then deletes itself.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:50E320A4-A126-4EC2-B93B-BD5E22EC8F6E@microsoft.com,
BB <BB@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> My computer was set to automatically update Windows as the updates come
> out....major mistake! It downloaded this software removal tool & now I'm
> having so much trouble. I use Norton & because it didn't always catch
> everything, I also used Grisoft. After the update my email would no
> longer be scanned by Grisoft & instead just keep running. So I removed
> Grisoft. Now I can access my email okay, but if I click on a link, it
> locks up & keeps running never opening the new file. On doing some
> internet research I again clicked on a link to have everything lock up &
> never access it. Everything worked fine before this was installed. I
> went back to a Restore point before this was installed & after
> restoration it downloads the update before I can stop it. Can anyone
> please tell me how to remove this tool? It says it's not a program &
> runs in the background I'm assuming. I don't want it as it's just messed
> up how everything runs on my computer. Please help.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:10:49 AM

Look elsewhere for your problem.

The Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool only runs once. If it finds
something it will tell you. If you get no message there was nothing removed.
The program is self deleting. Every month there will likely be a newer
version to run - once!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"BB" <BB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer was set to automatically update Windows as the updates come
> out....major mistake! It downloaded this software removal tool & now I'm
> having so much trouble. I use Norton & because it didn't always catch
> everything, I also used Grisoft. After the update my email would no
> longer
> be scanned by Grisoft & instead just keep running. So I removed Grisoft.
> Now I can access my email okay, but if I click on a link, it locks up &
> keeps
> running never opening the new file. On doing some internet research I
> again
> clicked on a link to have everything lock up & never access it.
> Everything
> worked fine before this was installed. I went back to a Restore point
> before
> this was installed & after restoration it downloads the update before I
> can
> stop it. Can anyone please tell me how to remove this tool? It says it's
> not a program & runs in the background I'm assuming. I don't want it as
> it's
> just messed up how everything runs on my computer. Please help.

May 24, 2005 10:54:09 AM

Thanks for the info. Since posting my message everything suddenly started
working fine again. Don't have a clue what was up with....only knew that
this was the only thing done to my computer in the last 2 weeks when I
restarted it after being gone.

!