ATI AIW 9600 - How do you configure decent DVD setup for n..

So far I am still stuck in Virtualduib to get better quality
captures than the MMC center.

DOes anyone have some good setup numbers versus the defaults
that come with the program?

720x480 screen size capture for dvd ready mpegs is what I am after.

I am not looking for VBR video I prefer CBR for all of it.

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

TK

Hmm MMC actually does better for me here (mpeg2 capturing)
You used video soap? what version MMC 9.03 is out.
I use 8 MB max 6 MB average and capture .Wav for sound
then I seperate sound and adjust (normalize) if needed and then
encode to 2 channel Dolby .ac3 format. I sometimes use dvdshrink
also. Video soap is usually light, heavy for bad stations and dark cam-
corder captures. If you goto www.inhabitense.com click the video link
you can see the captures, originally Mpeg2 but Encoded with WMP9
encoder for web.

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:11:43 -0600 tk said :

>Hmm MMC actually does better for me here (mpeg2 capturing)
>You used video soap? what version MMC 9.03 is out.

The last time I upgrade the MMC for a ATI AIW 128. The video on
the captures using VirtualDub looked like it was radiated if I
can say it that way.

I think it was version 7/Seven ? Or some lesser version.

When I played back the video through a stand alone DVD player on disc
the video looked like that too. It was quite frustrating.

After that I was sheepish about going with any MMC pas the ones that
came with the native card.

I did borrow money to purchase(still owe for this card) this
ATI AIW 9600 Radeon.

So this card is running the native softwarwe that came with it.

I believe I am using version 8.8.

I do worry about upgrading to newer drivers after the bad experience
with the older ati aiw radeon card.

>I use 8 MB max 6 MB average and capture .Wav for sound

I did manage to locate that area but I dont think I have figured
out for sure the WAV option. I might have a idea but I am not sure
I understood the option correctly.

>then I seperate sound and adjust (normalize) if needed and then

Is that option in the MMC program?

>encode to 2 channel Dolby .ac3 format.

I saw the extra channels but I dont have the AC3 hardware to bring
it in from the cable box. (I dont understand what I all need to get
get at it really... ) So far I am bringing in the audio via two
rca left/right audio jacks to Line-In on the on-board SoundMax.

My test, last night. Did not fare so well. The audio was booming
and I had to delete my test file.

I looked around today and found the SoundMax setting to lower the
Line-In volme and then noticed the ATI TV set control also moved
to a lesser position. I had thought that was the volume for the
speakers.

>I sometimes use dvdshrink

Yes I have had to use that too in order to make my videos fit
on layer one dvd.

>Video soap is usually light, heavy for bad stations

I have digi-cable but not all stations are coming in as
digi. THe public should get pro-rated savings for the channels
that dont come in as digital I say !

Thanks for mentioning the Video Soap. I was not aware of that filtering
ability.

>If you goto www.inhabitense.com click the video link
>you can see the captures, originally Mpeg2 but Encoded with WMP9
>encoder for web.

I went thre but all I saw were small red x's where the image should
be.

What confused me is how can MMC/TV record say I have all that time
to record. Don't they do the math correctly?

I mean when I record to YUY2 Raw AVI the most I can get is like 2/Two
in a half hours or so before the drive is full.

I am not sure but I thought I saw it say something like 3/three days
and X amount of time after that....

(Humor time) Can I burn all that to a single DVD ? HA !

--

Geneve <a@n.com> wrote in news:crsbgp0bco@drn.newsguy.com:

> I mean when I record to YUY2 Raw AVI the most I can get is like 2/Two
> in a half hours or so before the drive is full.
>
> I am not sure but I thought I saw it say something like 3/three days
> and X amount of time after that....
>
> (Humor time) Can I burn all that to a single DVD ? HA !

Hi, if I can just jump in here - why are you recording in AVI format? That
is totally nuts. It takes up WAY too much time.

I have the AIW 9600, and use DVD-High as my recording format; I get a LOT
of recording time, at great quality, no dropped frames, and the video
doesn't need to undergo too much transformation when you want to make a DVD
out of it.

AVI!!! WHY?!?!?!?!?

re: Humour Time, yes you can burn all that to a single DVD (providing it is
less than 2 hours of video) - but your DVD authoring program will need to
compress/transform your huge AVI to MPG and take a LONG time doing it.
Recording in MPG format (especially with DVD-optimal settings) cuts out
this huge, timewasting step.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

> I have the AIW 9600, and use DVD-High as my recording format; I get a LOT
> of recording time, at great quality, no dropped frames, and the video
> doesn't need to undergo too much transformation when you want to make a DVD
> out of it.

Mine is AIW 9600XT; video capture in .vcr format is great. Capture
in DVD-high ( or any mpeg format) results in a black screen when
attempting to view. Also, when trying to close the viewing window
system freezes and requires reboot to recover.

Since I seem to be alone with this problem, I wonder what everyone
else is doing that I'm not. ATI online help is useless as is tech.

Any ideas to eliminate this problem are appreciated.
Thanks.

digger

This is more indicative of a codec issue resulting from a conflicting or
misbehaving 3rd party mpg decoder.

GSpot beta, v2.52 can help narrow the issue ...http://gspot.headbands.com/

--
Digger

"Jack" <ljkahn4@cox.net> wrote in message
>> I have the AIW 9600, and use DVD-High as my recording format; I get a LOT
>> of recording time, at great quality, no dropped frames, and the video
>> doesn't need to undergo too much transformation when you want to make a
>> DVD out of it.
>
> Mine is AIW 9600XT; video capture in .vcr format is great. Capture
> in DVD-high ( or any mpeg format) results in a black screen when
> attempting to view. Also, when trying to close the viewing window
> system freezes and requires reboot to recover.
>
> Since I seem to be alone with this problem, I wonder what everyone
> else is doing that I'm not. ATI online help is useless as is tech.
>
> Any ideas to eliminate this problem are appreciated.
> Thanks.

digger

This is more indicative of a codec issue resulting from a conflicting or
misbehaving 3rd party mpg decoder.

GSpot beta, v2.52 can help narrow the issue ...http://gspot.headbands.com/

--
Digger

"Jack" <ljkahn4@cox.net> wrote in message
>> I have the AIW 9600, and use DVD-High as my recording format; I get a LOT
>> of recording time, at great quality, no dropped frames, and the video
>> doesn't need to undergo too much transformation when you want to make a
>> DVD out of it.
>
> Mine is AIW 9600XT; video capture in .vcr format is great. Capture
> in DVD-high ( or any mpeg format) results in a black screen when
> attempting to view. Also, when trying to close the viewing window
> system freezes and requires reboot to recover.
>
> Since I seem to be alone with this problem, I wonder what everyone
> else is doing that I'm not. ATI online help is useless as is tech.
>
> Any ideas to eliminate this problem are appreciated.
> Thanks.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Digger wrote:

> This is more indicative of a codec issue resulting from a conflicting or
> misbehaving 3rd party mpg decoder.
>
> GSpot beta, v2.52 can help narrow the issue ...http://gspot.headbands.com/

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Jack.

"Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message news:cri01a02m7n@drn.newsguy.com...

> So far I am still stuck in Virtualduib to get better quality
> captures than the MMC center.
>
> DOes anyone have some good setup numbers versus the defaults
> that come with the program?
>
> 720x480 screen size capture for dvd ready mpegs is what I am after.
>
> I am not looking for VBR video I prefer CBR for all of it.

Have you looked here before?
http://www.digitalfaq.com/capture/atimpeg/atimpeg.htm

I found it very useful.

> --
> "If confused why this or that is going on."
> "I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

>>"If confused why this or that is going on."
>>"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

Thanks, am checking it out now.
Jack.