XP Home User Access Denied????

Anybody,

Motherboard decided to finally give itself up over the weekend, so Iurchased
a new motherboard, and new hard-drive, with the intention of using the old
drive as a spare, after transferring the appropriate files accross to an
external drive for storage.

My problem was that I can't log on to the drive using the standard windows
boot up. It wants to start in safe mode, but just resets itself continuoisly.

I did install XP Pro onto the new drive, then added the old drive as a
slave, which gives access to all but one user folder, because it was
passworded!! How do I access this folder?? I know the password, but can't
seem to change permissions, because I am not the original administrator!!

I'm at a loss, the data is not all that critical, but just a nusiance to
research and modify the older files!!

What can be done?

chuth@acenet.net.au
1 answer Last reply
More about home user access denied

    "Huthy - XP Dilemnas" <Huthy - XP
    Dilemnas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Anybody,
    >
    > Motherboard decided to finally give itself up over the weekend,
    > so Iurchased
    > a new motherboard, and new hard-drive, with the intention of
    > using the old
    > drive as a spare, after transferring the appropriate files
    > accross to an
    > external drive for storage.
    >
    > My problem was that I can't log on to the drive using the
    > standard windows
    > boot up. It wants to start in safe mode, but just resets itself
    > continuoisly.
    >
    > I did install XP Pro onto the new drive, then added the old
    > drive as a
    > slave, which gives access to all but one user folder, because
    > it was
    > passworded!! How do I access this folder?? I know the password,
    > but can't
    > seem to change permissions, because I am not the original
    > administrator!!
    >
    > I'm at a loss, the data is not all that critical, but just a
    > nusiance to
    > research and modify the older files!!
    >
    > What can be done?
    >
    > chuth@acenet.net.au

    You need to take ownership of the files. Take a look here for the
    procedure:

    Nepatsfan

Motherboards Windows XP