passwords on folders

I am running windows xp prf. and office 2003.
Can you associate a password with a folder so that everything in the folder
is invisible without entering the password. If not how else might my wife and
myself share files across the home wireless network without also making the
files available to the kids - who are also on the home wireless network.
Associating a password with a single file is too low a level - we've got lots
of files. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.
--
sw
5 answers Last reply

    SeniorWrangler wrote:

    > I am running windows xp prf. and office 2003.
    > Can you associate a password with a folder so that everything in the
    > folder is invisible without entering the password. If not how else
    > might my wife and myself share files across the home wireless network
    > without also making the files available to the kids - who are also on
    > the home wireless network. Associating a password with a single file
    > is too low a level - we've got lots of files. Any help would be
    > appreciated. thanks.

    In XP, you don't password-protect folders. You assign permissions to
    folders/files by user/group. Since you have XP Pro, this will be easy
    for you. Just make it so only you and your wife have permission to
    access those folders and the kids are denied. Since you have a lot of
    files and might not want to go through all of them individually to
    reassign permissions, why not make a new folder - call it something
    useful like "Grownups Only" and assign permissions accordingly for
    future use. Then put all your Sekrit Stuff in that folder.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Additional information.

    To do this, you must be running NTFS as your file system on the drive in question. If your hard disk/partition is not NTFS you will need to convert it. To do this, open a Command Prompt window and enter the following command:

    CONVERT X: /FS:NTFS

    Where X: is the drive letter you wish to convert. You may also want to see http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm to ensure that you're getting the optimal conversion.

    After this step is completed and you've rebooted the computer, if necessary:

    XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user group membership.

    XP Home: By default, you can only make files and folders under My Documents "private". This is done by right clicking a folder or file and selecting Properties, Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders, you need to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

    HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "SeniorWrangler" <SeniorWrangler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5EBC36F-899F-4319-B1EC-8CF55AFA4BD0@microsoft.com...
    >I am running windows xp prf. and office 2003.
    > Can you associate a password with a folder so that everything in the folder
    > is invisible without entering the password. If not how else might my wife and
    > myself share files across the home wireless network without also making the
    > files available to the kids - who are also on the home wireless network.
    > Associating a password with a single file is too low a level - we've got lots
    > of files. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.
    > --
    > sw

    thanks Doug & Malke. I'll give it a try.
    --
    sw

    In article <B5EBC36F-899F-4319-B1EC-8CF55AFA4BD0@microsoft.com>,
    "SeniorWrangler" <SeniorWrangler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >I am running windows xp prf. and office 2003.
    >Can you associate a password with a folder so that everything in the folder
    >is invisible without entering the password. If not how else might my wife and
    >myself share files across the home wireless network without also making the
    >files available to the kids - who are also on the home wireless network.
    >Associating a password with a single file is too low a level - we've got lots
    >of files. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

    Ron Lowe and I have written a web page showing how to do what you
    want, using XP Pro's access control lists (as other people have said,
    XP doesn't have passwords):

    Windows XP Professional File Sharing
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    SeniorWrangler wrote:
    > I am running windows xp prf. and office 2003.
    > Can you associate a password with a folder so that everything in the folder
    > is invisible without entering the password. If not how else might my wife and
    > myself share files across the home wireless network without also making the
    > files available to the kids - who are also on the home wireless network.
    > Associating a password with a single file is too low a level - we've got lots
    > of files. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

    Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
    allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
    applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
    of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
    and/or groups.

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

    HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
    files/folders.

    Best Practices for Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

    As a crude work-around, if you actually prefer Win9x's way, you
    can place the file in a compressed folder, and set a password to
    uncompress the folder to view/access its contents.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm