ATI AIW 9800 Pro was a bad choice

Gene

I have put together a new machine consisting of...
Intel D865PERL + 3.0ghz P4 w/800mhz FSB + newest drivers
2gb Corsair TwinX XMS 2-2-2-5
4 WD 74gb 10krpm Raptors (2-raid 1=C:-System, 2-raid 0=E:-Temp)
2 WD 200gb 7200rpm (raid 1=D:-Data)
2 Plextor 712 DVD burners
1 Mitsumi card reader w/floppy
Logitech/Bluetooth wireless kbd & mouse
1 Lian Li 6077 case, 550w PSU + 8 fans
Windows XP SP2
I am pleased with this endeavour. It is fault tolerant, has adequate speed
and capacity and represents a major step up from the 733mhz P3 I had been
using

Then I spoiled it all by installing an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Radeon Pro.
On paper the board and software package has all of the features I am looking
for, but on delivery, even after installing the newest XP ATI software
drivers, it REALLY sux the big one. When any features above that of a
standard graphics card are used, it makes the system unstable. The system
might reboot itself after several minutes to hours of simply watching TV.
If not that, then ATIMMC.exe will barf and notify Microsoft. The TV
Listings app will loose the mouse pointer at the drop of a hat. Several
times the TV view has died while the TV audio remains which then takes a
reboot to recover from. It is a mess. I know the system can be stable
because I did not connect cable to the AIW for several weeks after initial
power-up and used it as a simple graphics card which worked just fine.

What can I do at this point? Is it fixable? Can I salvage portions of the
video subsystem and software or should I scrap the whole ATI approach and go
with a different vendor offering similar features?

Thanks,

Gene

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 10:06:06 GMT, "Gene" <gjsnider@swbell.net> wrote:

>I have put together a new machine consisting of...
>Intel D865PERL + 3.0ghz P4 w/800mhz FSB + newest drivers
>2gb Corsair TwinX XMS 2-2-2-5
>4 WD 74gb 10krpm Raptors (2-raid 1=C:-System, 2-raid 0=E:-Temp)
>2 WD 200gb 7200rpm (raid 1=D:-Data)
>2 Plextor 712 DVD burners
>1 Mitsumi card reader w/floppy
>Logitech/Bluetooth wireless kbd & mouse
>1 Lian Li 6077 case, 550w PSU + 8 fans
>Windows XP SP2
>I am pleased with this endeavour. It is fault tolerant, has adequate speed
>and capacity and represents a major step up from the 733mhz P3 I had been
>using
>
>Then I spoiled it all by installing an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Radeon Pro.
>On paper the board and software package has all of the features I am looking
>for, but on delivery, even after installing the newest XP ATI software
>drivers, it REALLY sux the big one. When any features above that of a
>standard graphics card are used, it makes the system unstable. The system
>might reboot itself after several minutes to hours of simply watching TV.
>If not that, then ATIMMC.exe will barf and notify Microsoft. The TV
>Listings app will loose the mouse pointer at the drop of a hat. Several
>times the TV view has died while the TV audio remains which then takes a
>reboot to recover from. It is a mess. I know the system can be stable
>because I did not connect cable to the AIW for several weeks after initial
>power-up and used it as a simple graphics card which worked just fine.
>
>What can I do at this point? Is it fixable? Can I salvage portions of the
>video subsystem and software or should I scrap the whole ATI approach and go
>with a different vendor offering similar features?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Gene

I had the same problems with that card.
Uninstall the ATI dirvers and install the Omega drivers, and your
problem will be gone. You will still lose the mouse pointer in the
guide.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/
After rebooting, you will see the "Found New Hardware" about 5 times.
ust cancel. Install the TV capture drivers:
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/tv-capture-wdm-6-14-10-6246.exe
db

I have the same motherboard and the same failure. I tried the Omega drivers
without any success. I am using an nvidia card with success, ATI's on
line help is not helpful.

Gene wrote:

> I have put together a new machine consisting of...
> Intel D865PERL + 3.0ghz P4 w/800mhz FSB + newest drivers
> 2gb Corsair TwinX XMS 2-2-2-5
> 4 WD 74gb 10krpm Raptors (2-raid 1=C:-System, 2-raid 0=E:-Temp)
> 2 WD 200gb 7200rpm (raid 1=D:-Data)
> 2 Plextor 712 DVD burners
> 1 Mitsumi card reader w/floppy
> Logitech/Bluetooth wireless kbd & mouse
> 1 Lian Li 6077 case, 550w PSU + 8 fans
> Windows XP SP2
> I am pleased with this endeavour. It is fault tolerant, has adequate
> speed and capacity and represents a major step up from the 733mhz P3 I had
> been using
>
> Then I spoiled it all by installing an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Radeon Pro.
> On paper the board and software package has all of the features I am
> looking for, but on delivery, even after installing the newest XP ATI
> software
> drivers, it REALLY sux the big one. When any features above that of a
> standard graphics card are used, it makes the system unstable. The system
> might reboot itself after several minutes to hours of simply watching TV.
> If not that, then ATIMMC.exe will barf and notify Microsoft. The TV
> Listings app will loose the mouse pointer at the drop of a hat. Several
> times the TV view has died while the TV audio remains which then takes a
> reboot to recover from. It is a mess. I know the system can be stable
> because I did not connect cable to the AIW for several weeks after initial
> power-up and used it as a simple graphics card which worked just fine.
>
> What can I do at this point? Is it fixable? Can I salvage portions of the
> video subsystem and software or should I scrap the whole ATI approach and
> go with a different vendor offering similar features?

First thing, are you sure the RAM is good? Cut it back to one stick and
alternate them and see if the problems occur with one particular one--I've
seen a lot of problems go away just by replacing the RAM. Just because it
says "Corsair" on it doesn't mean it's perfect.

Next, running a similar setup with an AMD processor I have no video related
problems at all except filling up most of my disk space with recorded
video.

A thought--does your processor support hyperthreading? If so, try turning
hyperthreading off and see if that makes the problems go away.

There's nothing much that can be done about the TV listings except going
with TitanTV or one of the other alternative services--the listings
software is provided by the listings provider and there isn't much ATI can
do about it other than change providers.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Gene wrote:

> I have put together a new machine consisting of...
> Intel D865PERL + 3.0ghz P4 w/800mhz FSB + newest drivers
> 2gb Corsair TwinX XMS 2-2-2-5
> 4 WD 74gb 10krpm Raptors (2-raid 1=C:-System, 2-raid 0=E:-Temp)
> 2 WD 200gb 7200rpm (raid 1=D:-Data)
> 2 Plextor 712 DVD burners
> 1 Mitsumi card reader w/floppy
> Logitech/Bluetooth wireless kbd & mouse
> 1 Lian Li 6077 case, 550w PSU + 8 fans
> Windows XP SP2
> I am pleased with this endeavour. It is fault tolerant, has adequate speed
> and capacity and represents a major step up from the 733mhz P3 I had been
> using
>
> Then I spoiled it all by installing an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Radeon Pro.
> On paper the board and software package has all of the features I am looking
> for, but on delivery, even after installing the newest XP ATI software
> drivers, it REALLY sux the big one. When any features above that of a
> standard graphics card are used, it makes the system unstable. The system
> might reboot itself after several minutes to hours of simply watching TV.
> If not that, then ATIMMC.exe will barf and notify Microsoft. The TV
> Listings app will loose the mouse pointer at the drop of a hat. Several
> times the TV view has died while the TV audio remains which then takes a
> reboot to recover from. It is a mess. I know the system can be stable
> because I did not connect cable to the AIW for several weeks after initial
> power-up and used it as a simple graphics card which worked just fine.
>
> What can I do at this point? Is it fixable? Can I salvage portions of the
> video subsystem and software or should I scrap the whole ATI approach and go
> with a different vendor offering similar features?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gene

I see everything listed except a name brand power supply.
550 watts doesnt mean anything if it isnt enermax or antec etc.

Gene

Howard,

Many thanks. Could I ask which model of nvidia board? Ultimately I would
like to use the PC's video system as a second tuner/source for a Sony
KD-34xbr960 HDTV Santa forgot to bring me. (I guess I was bad.). That is
what led me to the AIW. It seemed like a perfect match.

ATI's online help not being helpful qualifies as the understatement of the
year. I would put their whole website under that banner as well. How
'reviews' of the board all seem to be favorable will remain a mystery too.

Gene

"Howard H Tessler" <htessler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have the same motherboard and the same failure. I tried the Omega
>drivers without any success. I am using an nvidia card with success,
>ATI's on line help is not helpful.
> "Gene" <gjsnider@swbell.net> wrote in message
>>I have put together a new machine consisting of...
>> Intel D865PERL + 3.0ghz P4 w/800mhz FSB + newest drivers
>> 2gb Corsair TwinX XMS 2-2-2-5
>> 4 WD 74gb 10krpm Raptors (2-raid 1=C:-System, 2-raid 0=E:-Temp)
>> 2 WD 200gb 7200rpm (raid 1=D:-Data)
>> 2 Plextor 712 DVD burners
>> 1 Mitsumi card reader w/floppy
>> Logitech/Bluetooth wireless kbd & mouse
>> 1 Lian Li 6077 case, 550w PSU + 8 fans
>> Windows XP SP2
>> I am pleased with this endeavour. It is fault tolerant, has adequate
>> speed
>> and capacity and represents a major step up from the 733mhz P3 I had been
>> using
>>
>> Then I spoiled it all by installing an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Radeon Pro.
>> On paper the board and software package has all of the features I am
>> looking
>> for, but on delivery, even after installing the newest XP ATI software
>> drivers, it REALLY sux the big one. When any features above that of a
>> standard graphics card are used, it makes the system unstable. The system
>> might reboot itself after several minutes to hours of simply watching TV.
>> If not that, then ATIMMC.exe will barf and notify Microsoft. The TV
>> Listings app will loose the mouse pointer at the drop of a hat. Several
>> times the TV view has died while the TV audio remains which then takes a
>> reboot to recover from. It is a mess. I know the system can be stable
>> because I did not connect cable to the AIW for several weeks after
>> initial
>> power-up and used it as a simple graphics card which worked just fine.
>>
>> What can I do at this point? Is it fixable? Can I salvage portions of
>> the
>> video subsystem and software or should I scrap the whole ATI approach and
>> go
>> with a different vendor offering similar features?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gene

Gene

This worked. The cursor is back. Thank you very much.
Do you have any magic for the other problems I mentioned.

In any event, many thanks again,
Gene

> As has been posted many times in the past and IGNORED by the incompetent
> at ATI and others, the DisplaySize in the registry under
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ATI Technologies\MultiMedia\Features\TV\Display
> for you is something OTHER than 0x00000003 (3). Change it to 0x00000003
> (3),
> reboot, and your cursor won't disappear anymore.

Gene

I used the Antec 550w PSU.

"Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Gene wrote:
>>
>> I have put together a new machine consisting of...
>> Intel D865PERL + 3.0ghz P4 w/800mhz FSB + newest drivers
>> 2gb Corsair TwinX XMS 2-2-2-5
>> 4 WD 74gb 10krpm Raptors (2-raid 1=C:-System, 2-raid 0=E:-Temp)
>> 2 WD 200gb 7200rpm (raid 1=D:-Data)
>> 2 Plextor 712 DVD burners
>> 1 Mitsumi card reader w/floppy
>> Logitech/Bluetooth wireless kbd & mouse
>> 1 Lian Li 6077 case, Antec 550w PSU + 8 fans
>> Windows XP SP2
>> I am pleased with this endeavour. It is fault tolerant, has adequate
>> speed
>> and capacity and represents a major step up from the 733mhz P3 I had been
>> using
>>
>> Then I spoiled it all by installing an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Radeon Pro.
>> On paper the board and software package has all of the features I am
>> looking
>> for, but on delivery, even after installing the newest XP ATI software
>> drivers, it REALLY sux the big one. When any features above that of a
>> standard graphics card are used, it makes the system unstable. The system
>> might reboot itself after several minutes to hours of simply watching TV.
>> If not that, then ATIMMC.exe will barf and notify Microsoft. The TV
>> Listings app will loose the mouse pointer at the drop of a hat. Several
>> times the TV view has died while the TV audio remains which then takes a
>> reboot to recover from. It is a mess. I know the system can be stable
>> because I did not connect cable to the AIW for several weeks after
>> initial
>> power-up and used it as a simple graphics card which worked just fine.
>>
>> What can I do at this point? Is it fixable? Can I salvage portions of
>> the
>> video subsystem and software or should I scrap the whole ATI approach and
>> go
>> with a different vendor offering similar features?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gene
>
> I see everything listed except a name brand power supply.
> 550 watts doesnt mean anything if it isnt enermax or antec etc.

JPG

ODD.
My AIW 9600 XT seems to work GREAT. Using MMC 9.03. Everything functions
like it supposed to.
Watching TV now as a matter of fact.
On my 'old' 815EP PIII 1ghz machine w/ PC 133
sdram....................wooo...hooooooooo....

"Gene" <gjsnider@swbell.net> wrote in message
> I have put together a new machine consisting of...
> Intel D865PERL + 3.0ghz P4 w/800mhz FSB + newest drivers
> 2gb Corsair TwinX XMS 2-2-2-5
> 4 WD 74gb 10krpm Raptors (2-raid 1=C:-System, 2-raid 0=E:-Temp)
> 2 WD 200gb 7200rpm (raid 1=D:-Data)
> 2 Plextor 712 DVD burners
> 1 Mitsumi card reader w/floppy
> Logitech/Bluetooth wireless kbd & mouse
> 1 Lian Li 6077 case, 550w PSU + 8 fans
> Windows XP SP2
> I am pleased with this endeavour. It is fault tolerant, has adequate
speed
> and capacity and represents a major step up from the 733mhz P3 I had been
> using
>
> Then I spoiled it all by installing an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Radeon Pro.
> On paper the board and software package has all of the features I am
looking
> for, but on delivery, even after installing the newest XP ATI software
> drivers, it REALLY sux the big one. When any features above that of a
> standard graphics card are used, it makes the system unstable. The system
> might reboot itself after several minutes to hours of simply watching TV.
> If not that, then ATIMMC.exe will barf and notify Microsoft. The TV
> Listings app will loose the mouse pointer at the drop of a hat. Several
> times the TV view has died while the TV audio remains which then takes a
> reboot to recover from. It is a mess. I know the system can be stable
> because I did not connect cable to the AIW for several weeks after initial
> power-up and used it as a simple graphics card which worked just fine.
>
> What can I do at this point? Is it fixable? Can I salvage portions of the
> video subsystem and software or should I scrap the whole ATI approach and
go
> with a different vendor offering similar features?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gene

Ob1

The problem here is quite likely that ATI has made changes to the
drivers or software that, as it typical with ATI, is not documented
very well. With ATI it is a constant witch hunt on their site which
results in several hours of trial and error patches to your system
only to find out there is an issue that they are working on with no
resolution time given.

I can tell you for a fact that the process of installing the various
drivers is one that seems to be quite installation specific. You
really must read the install guides ESPECIALLY IF YOU EVER HAD ANOTHER
CARD INSTALLED BEFORE INSTALLING ATI. It appears that you a capture
driver issue. Start by uninstalling the video driver, the capture
driver and the MMC all in that order.

Install the capture driiver first then the video driver then the MMC
and use the updated drivers on the ATI site. If your card in not a
new one or one you have had for a while use the OLD or ORIGINAL
DRIVERS THAT CAME ON THE CD.

Make sure you have DIRECT X 9 BEFORE UNINSTALLING ANYTHING. IF NOT
GET IT AND IF THINGS DO NOT WORK STILL, DO WHAT I SUGGESTED ABOVE.
DO NOT TRY TO RE-INSTALL ON TOP OF EXISTING DRIVERS IT WILL NOT WORK!!

ALSO BE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST COPY OF MICROSOFT VIDEO DRIVERS
DOWNLOADED AND INSTALLED FROM MICROSOFT. THIS DOES NOT COME ON THE XP
OR 2K CD.

THE CARD WILL WORK AND WILL WORK NICELY BUT GET A GRIP AND GET OUT
YOUR PATIENCE BECAUSE YOU ARE ON A WITCH HUNT THAT SHOULD END WITH
SUCCESS BUT YOU ARE EMBARKING ON A TEDIOUS TASKS TO SAY THE LEAST.

IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO KEE THE CARD, LEAVE A POST HERE FOR OB1.