Printer sharing

I have just installed the new BT Wireless Network 1250
router and all is okay.

I have a Dell centrino Laptop with XP home also Dell
Desktop XP Pro.

I have got them networked and able to talk to each other.

The desktop has a HP Deskjet610c connected via parallel
and software installed. Laptop has software installed and
can print no problem when directly connected.

I have gone through the set up and have got the printer
sharing "hand" under the printer but on my laptop when I
get to pick a printer to connect to it searches and only
comes back with the "Microsoft Home Network" and no
printer is shown.

BT & Dell won't help.

Someone said it might be the administrator rights or
similar names as users although they are different when
logged on.

Whats the problem do you think?
4 answers Last reply
More about printer sharing

    You might try uninstalling the printer from your laptop, and remove
    any drivers or other software that is installed. Then install it via
    the Wizard. When you set up a shared printer in WinXP, the drivers
    from the computer that is attached to the printer are installed on the
    network computer.

    You might also check your network properties on both computers to be
    sure that "File and Print Sharing for MS Networks" is installed.

    hawk

    John Wright wrote:

    > I have just installed the new BT Wireless Network 1250
    > router and all is okay.
    >
    > I have a Dell centrino Laptop with XP home also Dell
    > Desktop XP Pro.
    >
    > I have got them networked and able to talk to each other.
    >
    > The desktop has a HP Deskjet610c connected via parallel
    > and software installed. Laptop has software installed and
    > can print no problem when directly connected.
    >
    > I have gone through the set up and have got the printer
    > sharing "hand" under the printer but on my laptop when I
    > get to pick a printer to connect to it searches and only
    > comes back with the "Microsoft Home Network" and no
    > printer is shown.
    >
    > BT & Dell won't help.
    >
    > Someone said it might be the administrator rights or
    > similar names as users although they are different when
    > logged on.
    >
    > Whats the problem do you think?

    Hi Hawk

    Thanks for the tip however it did not work.

    Firstly the desktop is the pc that is connected to the
    printer so do I have to uninstall on the laptop and then
    re-install on the laptop?

    John

    Yes, that is what I would try. Uninstall everything about the printer
    from the laptop, all drivers and any other software. Use the printer
    install wizard on the laptop to install the printer.

    hawk

    > Hi Hawk
    >
    > Thanks for the tip however it did not work.
    >
    > Firstly the desktop is the pc that is connected to the
    > printer so do I have to uninstall on the laptop and then
    > re-install on the laptop?
    >
    > John

    it would be better to purchase a mini ethernet print
    server that plugs directly to the parallel port and then
    connect it to your wireless router. that way, setup and
    administration is easier.

Laptops Printers Wireless Networking