  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 8, 2005 8:21:14 PM

Everything I read says: all you need to do is install the latest drivers and
it will work. But it doesn't...

I am using a Win98/P3-450 with what ATI describe - from the board part
number - as "Rage Pro 8Mb AGP VGA" (device manager describes the ASIC as 3D
Rage Pro AGP 2x).

The ATI website says:
An OpenGL ICD (Installable Client Driver) is included with the current RAGE
PRO and RAGE LT PRO display drivers for Windows 98 and Windows 95. This
feature first appeared in driver release 4.11.2474. The normal Windows 9x
driver installation procedure installs this OpenGL support. No additional
steps are required.

I've tried as many different drivers as I can, 4.11.2474, 4.11.2560,
4.13.2655. But I can't get my graphics card to support OpenGL. Using GLInfo,
it only reports the standard Win98 software driver (Microsoft Corporation
4.12.1.1107 GDI Generic OpenGL version 1.1.0).

Starting Flightgear, I get about 0.2fps. I realise I am not going to get
stellar performance with this set up, but surely I can do better than that!

What am I doing wrong???

regards,
Andrew

More about : opengl win98 ati rage pro

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 8:56:48 PM

"Andrew" <-> wrote in message
> Everything I read says: all you need to do is install the latest drivers
and
> it will work. But it doesn't...
>
> I am using a Win98/P3-450 with what ATI describe - from the board part
> number - as "Rage Pro 8Mb AGP VGA" (device manager describes the ASIC as
3D
> Rage Pro AGP 2x).
>
> The ATI website says:
> An OpenGL ICD (Installable Client Driver) is included with the current
RAGE
> PRO and RAGE LT PRO display drivers for Windows 98 and Windows 95. This
> feature first appeared in driver release 4.11.2474. The normal Windows 9x
> driver installation procedure installs this OpenGL support. No additional
> steps are required.
>
> I've tried as many different drivers as I can, 4.11.2474, 4.11.2560,
> 4.13.2655. But I can't get my graphics card to support OpenGL. Using
GLInfo,
> it only reports the standard Win98 software driver (Microsoft Corporation
> 4.12.1.1107 GDI Generic OpenGL version 1.1.0).
>
> Starting Flightgear, I get about 0.2fps. I realise I am not going to get
> stellar performance with this set up, but surely I can do better than
that!

> What am I doing wrong???
>
> regards,
> Andrew

I used an ATI Rage 128 32MB (AGP 2x) for many years, with OpenGL support. (I
presume these cards are similar enough to compare)

I used it through Win98 up until XP. I know very well that the drivers
provided within XP to do not have OpenGL support. If this is true for XP,
this is probably the case for 98. All I had to do was uninstall my drivers
(the ones provided by Microsoft when installing XP) and simply visit the ATI
website and download the latest version there. These do have OpenGL support,
and everything is great.

So, uninstall your drivers, and install the latest set available from ATI.
If this doesn't work, then I have no idea what's wrong. I can't see why this
wouldn't work.

Did this provide any help?
January 8, 2005 10:46:48 PM

"The Berzerker" <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote in message

> So, uninstall your drivers, and install the latest set available from ATI.
> If this doesn't work, then I have no idea what's wrong. I can't see why
this
> wouldn't work.
>
> Did this provide any help?

No - I have tried several different drivers from the ATI website.
Intutitively, I want to find a panel that says: "Use hardware acceleration
for OpenGL?" and tick the checkbox - but everything I read says there is no
such box! (And I have checked the settings in device manager to ensure I
have selected maxium hw acceleration - DirectX 8a is working fine).

Are there any diagnostic tools I can use to find the problem?

regards,
Andrew
January 8, 2005 11:29:24 PM

"Andrew" <-> wrote in message

> "The Berzerker" <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote in message
>
>> So, uninstall your drivers, and install the latest set available from
>> ATI.
>> If this doesn't work, then I have no idea what's wrong. I can't see why
> this
>> wouldn't work.
>>
>> Did this provide any help?
>
> No - I have tried several different drivers from the ATI website.
> Intutitively, I want to find a panel that says: "Use hardware acceleration
> for OpenGL?" and tick the checkbox - but everything I read says there is
> no
> such box! (And I have checked the settings in device manager to ensure I
> have selected maxium hw acceleration - DirectX 8a is working fine).
>
> Are there any diagnostic tools I can use to find the problem?

Try some of these utilities at the following link.

http://www.opengl.org/applications/windows/utilities/

> regards,
> Andrew

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 11:41:56 PM

"Andrew" <-> wrote in message
> Everything I read says: all you need to do is install the latest drivers
> and
> it will work. But it doesn't...
>
> I am using a Win98/P3-450 with what ATI describe - from the board part
> number - as "Rage Pro 8Mb AGP VGA" (device manager describes the ASIC as
> 3D
> Rage Pro AGP 2x).
>
> The ATI website says:
> An OpenGL ICD (Installable Client Driver) is included with the current
> RAGE
> PRO and RAGE LT PRO display drivers for Windows 98 and Windows 95. This
> feature first appeared in driver release 4.11.2474. The normal Windows 9x
> driver installation procedure installs this OpenGL support. No additional
> steps are required.

ATI's Recommended driver with OpenGL support is 4.13.2655.

> I've tried as many different drivers as I can, 4.11.2474, 4.11.2560,
> 4.13.2655. But I can't get my graphics card to support OpenGL. Using
> GLInfo,
> it only reports the standard Win98 software driver (Microsoft Corporation
> 4.12.1.1107 GDI Generic OpenGL version 1.1.0).
>
> Starting Flightgear, I get about 0.2fps. I realise I am not going to get
> stellar performance with this set up, but surely I can do better than
> that!

I went to flightgear.org and noticed that they have a section in their FAQ
about OpenGL issues. You may want to research there for an answer for your
problems.
http://www.flightgear.org/Docs/FAQ.shtml

> What am I doing wrong???
>
> regards,
> Andrew

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 12:53:22 AM

These cards are actually completely different in architecture, kinda like
the gap between a TNT and Geforce.

"The Berzerker" <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote in message
> I used an ATI Rage 128 32MB (AGP 2x) for many years, with OpenGL support.
(I
> presume these cards are similar enough to compare)
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 1:05:05 AM

Try the 4.12.2647 drivers here, listed under Legacy Products:

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/legacy.html

The Rage Pro and Rage XL are the same thing... more or less.

If the driver refuses to install by double-clicking on the EXE, do it
manually through Device Manager. (i.e. open Display Adapter properties and
click "update driver").

Unfortunately the Rage Pro was produced during the dark ages, when ATi sat
unchallenged in the OEM sector and didn't give a damn about the retail
market (and thus driver support). There's no sense in using one unless you
have a couple of ATICIF games (MechWarrior, Heavy Gear, etc.). Get a $10
Voodoo2 off eBay (or $20 for V2 SLI...).

!