Characters

The new HL2 engine allows for some great facial detail and animation, but
has HL2 really made full use of this feature? I'd say no. They have created
somewhat interesting characters, but they're no where near the quality of
the original star trek characters of Spock, Kirk and McCoy. I would hold
that show up as an excellent example of what games should try to achieve in
their character creations. HL2 has Barney, Alex, the scientist, Dawg and a
few others and they have some charm, but no where near the charm of the Trek
characters and I think it may actually be possible to match Trek with the
new tools so I don't think I'm being too unfair.

po wrote:
> The new HL2 engine allows for some great facial detail and animation,
> but has HL2 really made full use of this feature? I'd say no. They
> have created somewhat interesting characters, but they're no where
> near the quality of the original star trek characters of Spock, Kirk
> and McCoy. I would hold that show up as an excellent example of what
> games should try to achieve in their character creations. HL2 has
> Barney, Alex, the scientist, Dawg and a few others and they have some
> charm, but no where near the charm of the Trek characters and I think
> it may actually be possible to match Trek with the new tools so I
> don't think I'm being too unfair.

Blimey, that is a truly bizarre post. What planet are you on?

Beam him up, Scotty.

--
Paul

"po" <prbj@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> The new HL2 engine allows for some great facial detail and animation, but
> has HL2 really made full use of this feature? I'd say no. They have
created
> somewhat interesting characters, but they're no where near the quality of
> the original star trek characters of Spock, Kirk and McCoy. I would hold
> that show up as an excellent example of what games should try to achieve
in
> their character creations. HL2 has Barney, Alex, the scientist, Dawg and a
> few others and they have some charm, but no where near the charm of the
Trek
> characters and I think it may actually be possible to match Trek with the
> new tools so I don't think I'm being too unfair.

Er, Star Trek characters are REAL people, who grow into their role over
several series. The HL2 characters are fictitious, and game developers have
a lot more to do with their time than create characters for geeks who play
the game.

You can't see the forest for the gameplay.
Wake up and smell the charisma.

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:19:15 -0500, "po" <prbj@adelphia.net> wrote:

>The new HL2 engine allows for some great facial detail and animation, but
>has HL2 really made full use of this feature? I'd say no. They have created
>somewhat interesting characters, but they're no where near the quality of
>the original star trek characters of Spock, Kirk and McCoy. I would hold
>that show up as an excellent example of what games should try to achieve in
>their character creations. HL2 has Barney, Alex, the scientist, Dawg and a
>few others and they have some charm, but no where near the charm of the Trek
>characters and I think it may actually be possible to match Trek with the
>new tools so I don't think I'm being too unfair.

The real Trek or is this a game??
Overall, the use of real facial photos mapped over polygon heads has
become popular in many games, and somewhat of an artform in itself,
and HL2 seems to have done this very well.

> You can't see the forest for the gameplay.
> Wake up and smell the charisma.

Nah I prefer the smell of napalm in the morning.

I was comparing it to the real Trek.

"po" <prbj@adelphia.net> wrote
> I was comparing it to the real Trek.

What do you smoke? I want some:)
--
David
davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

po wrote:
> I was comparing it to the real Trek.

In God's name, why? Hey, let's compare carrots with shoes, or coal mines with
Sicily. It makes just as much sense.

--
Paul

po wrote:
> I was comparing it to the real Trek.

So you're saying that the real actors in Star Trek, playing characters
such as Spock, Kirk and McCoy, over many many hours of TV and film, are
more engaging than some computer-generated characters who probably only
have an hour of screen-time each (between them even?).
Well, you learn something new every day.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:20:39 -0000, "Paul Catley"
<paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hey, let's compare carrots with shoes, or coal mines with Sicily.

FS, Paul. Shoes have so much more character than carrots. Everyone
knows that.

-----
Anders Simonsson
Website: http://www.anderssimonsson.com/

"Anders Simonsson" <******.simonsson@bredband.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:20:39 -0000, "Paul Catley"
> <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hey, let's compare carrots with shoes, or coal mines with Sicily.
>
> FS, Paul. Shoes have so much more character than carrots. Everyone
> knows that.

Sure... and although Sicily has a lot of history and atmosphere, you can't
deny that coal mines can be quite atmospheric in their own way...

"Anders Simonsson" <******.simonsson@bredband.net> skrev i meddelandet
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:20:39 -0000, "Paul Catley"
> <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hey, let's compare carrots with shoes, or coal mines with Sicily.
>
> FS, Paul. Shoes have so much more character than carrots. Everyone
> knows that.

And they have to cooperate with socks, socks that they never know were they
have been......

; )

lyset

"lyset" wrote

> And they have to cooperate with socks, socks that they never know were
> they
> have been......

Talking about socks
My dog is hunting down old warnout socks - the worse the better
Newly washed of the kind has no interest whatsoever

You should see him running away with his findings
I can almost hear the whisper -... my preziouss

OMG - Peter

"Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> "lyset" wrote
> >
> > And they have to cooperate with socks, socks that they never know were
> > they
> > have been......
> >
> Talking about socks
> My dog is hunting down old warnout socks - the worse the better
> Newly washed of the kind has no interest whatsoever
>
> You should see him running away with his findings
> I can almost hear the whisper -... my preziouss

You better watch out for that dog Peter....

; )

lyset

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:54:43 +0100, "lyset"
<peter_lysen40@hotmail.com> wrote:

>You better watch out for that dog Peter....

When he finds the One True Sock, he will enslave us all.

-----

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:54:43 +0100, "lyset"
> <peter_lysen40@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You better watch out for that dog Peter....
>
> When he finds the One True Sock, he will enslave us all.
>
> -----
> Anders Simonsson
> Website: http://www.anderssimonsson.com/

Wouldn't be a Dachsund by any chance, would it? :)

"Anders Simonsson" wrote

>>You better watch out for that dog Peter....
>
> When he finds the One True Sock, he will enslave us all.

That's exactly why I have trained him to find old socks

I have one very special sock in my "lost & found" box
Now I just need to find the other part ...

Still hoping :p

- Peter

"McGrandpa" wrote

> Wouldn't be a Dachsund by any chance, would it? :)
Dachsund ??
No no no it's called a "gravhund"
Will those darn foreigners ever learn

Oh btw it's a dalmatian - probably just as crazy :)

- Peter

Anders Simonsson wrote:

>>Hey, let's compare carrots with shoes, or coal mines with Sicily.
>

> FS, Paul. Shoes have so much more character than carrots. Everyone
> knows that.

That's because Shoes have soles.... ;-)

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench