Top-end graphics card exist or just vapourware?

Both ATI (e.g. X800XT PE) and nVidia's (e.g. 6800 Ultra Extreme) top end
cards seem to have been produced in such small quantities that they are
unobtainable at any price. New top cards are being announced but will we
ever be able to buy them? They seem to be targeting the mid/low-range and
the high-end stuff is just show-off talk, about as meaningful as political
speeches.
19 answers Last reply
More about graphics card exist vapourware

    Seems that retailers are getting very little stock. I had Newegg.com
    auto notify me by email when the one I wanted became availible.
    While I was messing with my email all of asudden i got the
    notification. I jumped right on it and placed the order and within 5
    min of doing so it went back to auto notify meaning stock was gone.

    --
    ASUS A8V/Athlon 64 FX-55
    ATI RADEON X800XT PE

    "Hawkeye" <Hawkeye__59@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Seems that retailers are getting very little stock.

    I think the real issue with everyoje is the high prices. When you can buy an
    ENTIRE PC, with a monitor, printer, dvd burner, and installed software for
    the same price as *just* a graphics cards, there's obviously a problem
    somewhere.

    And when I can buy a PS2, an X-Box, AND a GameCube for less then the price
    of just a graphic card, the problem becomes more apparent.

    --
    Gareee© (Gareee "at" Charter "dot" net)
    Homepage:

    >I think the real issue with everyoje is the high prices. When you can buy an
    >ENTIRE PC, with a monitor, printer, dvd burner, and installed software for
    >the same price as *just* a graphics cards, there's obviously a problem
    >somewhere.

    Any user with half a brain that is into gaming isnt looking for the
    above described deals because you are speaking of a PC that is good
    for nothing but surfing the web and playing checkers at that price.

    >And when I can buy a PS2, an X-Box, AND a GameCube for less then the price
    >of just a graphic card, the problem becomes more apparent.

    I stopped buying gaming consoles years ago. PC gaming is where its
    at if your serious about it.

    I have the ability to pay top dollar for what I desire and dont worry
    about what others might be doing or thinking.

    --
    ASUS A8V/Athlon 64 FX-55
    ATI RADEON X800XT PE
    1GB OCZ Gold Edition Rev3 DDR PC-3700

    >Not to change the subject or anything... but let me ask you this... I
    >currently have a A8V and a Athlon 64 3500 with an older 9500Pro. Should I
    >go for the FX55 or a X800XT PE? Are you happy with the 55's performance?

    I ran a 3500 in the system for a month or so and it did great. Here
    are some benchmarks I ran with the 3500 and then after i swappped it
    out for the 55. I was happy with the 3500 and 800XT combo but it was
    going into another system once I got the 55. But of course I love the
    55.

    All stock runs

    3500

    Aquamark 66,239

    3dmark2001 1024x768 23474
    800x600 24465

    pcmark04 4339

    3dmark05 1024x768 5727
    800x600 6556

    ******************************

    FX-55

    Aquamark 73,661

    3dmark2001 1024x768 27777
    800x600 29119

    pcmark04 5015

    3dmark05 1024x768 5799
    800x600 6683

    --
    ASUS A8V/Athlon 64 FX-55
    ATI RADEON X800XT PE
    1GB OCZ Gold Edition Rev3 DDR PC-3700

    Go for the video upgrade unless you too have deep pockets and can do
    both

    --

    <doug.drodskie@eskom.co.za> wrote in message
    > Both ATI (e.g. X800XT PE) and nVidia's (e.g. 6800 Ultra Extreme) top end
    > cards seem to have been produced in such small quantities that they are
    > unobtainable at any price. New top cards are being announced but will we
    > ever be able to buy them? They seem to be targeting the mid/low-range and
    > the high-end stuff is just show-off talk, about as meaningful as political
    > speeches.

    I had to laugh when I read a recent (maybe the current) issue of Maximum PC
    magazine. Somewhere in the first 20 pages was a picture of the back of a
    milk carton with the word MISSING on it with a picture of the X800XT PE and
    a description of it underneath, and last seen details, etc.! Although the
    picture pretty much sums things up, it was a good spot of humor on their
    part!

    Gareee© wrote:
    > "Hawkeye" <Hawkeye__59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Seems that retailers are getting very little stock.
    >
    > I think the real issue with everyoje is the high prices. When you can buy
    > an
    > ENTIRE PC, with a monitor, printer, dvd burner, and installed software for
    > the same price as *just* a graphics cards, there's obviously a problem
    > somewhere.
    I don't think this is a problem.
    The manufacturers know they can sell the top cards at premium prices, and a
    certain section of society are willing to pay top dollar for them, and will
    be happy campers.
    I have bought a couple of £300 cards in my time, and I'm glad I did, they
    have served me well (it also helps I am a graphics whore).

    But now even if you have £300-400 you can't buy the bloody things.
    This is presumably because they pushed the technology too much and cannot
    get the yield quantity on the silicon, and for what? So they could win the
    benchmark wars in the online press. So they create demand for a product they
    cannot meet.

    > And when I can buy a PS2, an X-Box, AND a GameCube for less then the price
    > of just a graphic card, the problem becomes more apparent.
    This just means you have no excuse not to own all three consoles!! :-)

    --
    STE ;¬!

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:27:30 +0200, doug.drodskie@eskom.co.za wrote:

    >Both ATI (e.g. X800XT PE) and nVidia's (e.g. 6800 Ultra Extreme) top end
    >cards seem to have been produced in such small quantities that they are
    >unobtainable at any price. New top cards are being announced but will we
    >ever be able to buy them? They seem to be targeting the mid/low-range and
    >the high-end stuff is just show-off talk, about as meaningful as political
    >speeches.

    6800UE wasn't really official released -- there was some boards, but
    it product was basicly redrawn before it came on the market. The
    X800XT PE was delivered to the retail-market in limited quantities.
    OEMs got hold on a great part of this production. Now the X800XT PE
    basicly have been replaced by the X850-series, at least for PCI-E. As
    it seems, the PCI-E-version of the high-end ATI-boards have been
    easier to get than the AGP-versions.

    --
    Clas Mehus
    Dataguiden : http://www.pcworld.no/dataguiden/

    Matt wrote:
    > Not to change the subject or anything... but let me ask you this... I
    > currently have a A8V and a Athlon 64 3500 with an older 9500Pro. Should I
    > go for the FX55 or a X800XT PE? Are you happy with the
    > 55's performance?

    Do you want to crunch numbers or play games?

    If you play games, you should upgrade the Graphics card.

    I would say that your card is the bare minimum now (probably not even enough
    for some games), whereas your CPU will last at least a year.

    Ben

    Go on Pricewatch.Com; you'll find the XT-PE in stock for much higher than
    MSRP. The Ultra Extreme is no longer an official retail product.

    These high-end cards are like Corvettes and Vipers. They are produced in
    very limited quantities (just for reviewers, it seems...) to boost the
    brand's image. The scrap rate at the chip foundry is ~ 20%, an insanely high
    percentage in other industries.

    There was a time when the product cycle is only six months. Now it takes
    more than eight months for announced products to even approach being
    available.

    <doug.drodskie@eskom.co.za> wrote in message
    > Both ATI (e.g. X800XT PE) and nVidia's (e.g. 6800 Ultra Extreme) top end
    > cards seem to have been produced in such small quantities that they are
    > unobtainable at any price. New top cards are being announced but will we
    > ever be able to buy them? They seem to be targeting the mid/low-range and
    > the high-end stuff is just show-off talk, about as meaningful as political
    > speeches.

    Indeed, and bleeding-edge computer hardware is still quite economical
    compared to, say, upgrading sports cars.

    There are more expensive hobbies out there.

    > I have the ability to pay top dollar for what I desire and dont worry
    > about what others might be doing or thinking.
    >

    > --
    > ASUS A8V/Athlon 64 FX-55
    > ATI RADEON X800XT PE
    > 1GB OCZ Gold Edition Rev3 DDR PC-3700

    If you ask me the whole pc gaming thing is pretty overpriced, but then as a
    17 year old student i'm going to say that aren't i.
    But on the other hand after looking at the market carefully, us "poor" guys
    are the ones getting screwed not those spending 300 quid on single
    components, cause when you put together a pc for close to 2 plus grand, you
    don't really need to spend it again for a good 3,4 years which is a very
    long time in the pc world. meanwhile us cheapo's buy a new pc for 500 quid
    and then HL2 comes out and we shell out cash for another pc that just meets
    the min requirements. Its on going cycle.

    Personally after working on building a pc that can HL2 fairly comfortably
    for 200 quid, i plan on building all my pcs from now on, next time i'm gonna
    try and get a terabyte of HDD space, lol.

    <doug.drodskie@eskom.co.za> wrote in message
    > Both ATI (e.g. X800XT PE) and nVidia's (e.g. 6800 Ultra Extreme) top end
    > cards seem to have been produced in such small quantities that they are
    > unobtainable at any price. New top cards are being announced but will we
    > ever be able to buy them? They seem to be targeting the mid/low-range and
    > the high-end stuff is just show-off talk, about as meaningful as political
    > speeches.

    Look at the bright side young one. At least you werent with us in oh
    what was it 1975 or so walking a couple miles in the cold or heat to
    the arcade to play Pong or Astroids if your familiar with those.

    --
    ASUS A8V/Athlon 64 FX-55
    ATI RADEON X800XT PE
    1GB OCZ Gold Edition Rev3 DDR PC-3700
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > Go on Pricewatch.Com; you'll find the XT-PE in stock for much higher than
    > MSRP. The Ultra Extreme is no longer an official retail product.
    >
    > These high-end cards are like Corvettes and Vipers. They are produced in
    > very limited quantities (just for reviewers, it seems...) to boost the
    > brand's image. The scrap rate at the chip foundry is ~ 20%, an insanely
    high
    > percentage in other industries.
    >
    > There was a time when the product cycle is only six months. Now it takes
    > more than eight months for announced products to even approach being
    > available.
    >
    > <doug.drodskie@eskom.co.za> wrote in message
    > > Both ATI (e.g. X800XT PE) and nVidia's (e.g. 6800 Ultra Extreme) top end
    > > cards seem to have been produced in such small quantities that they are
    > > unobtainable at any price. New top cards are being announced but will we
    > > ever be able to buy them? They seem to be targeting the mid/low-range
    and
    > > the high-end stuff is just show-off talk, about as meaningful as
    political
    > > speeches.

    My daughter took up a post with Disney Cruise Lines 6 months ago and she
    went over there with strict instructions to buy and send back an X800XT PE
    (huge currency SAVING of around $650). Despite her efforts to solicit help
    from places like Circuit City and my direct requests to ATI to assist her
    (which were refused), she returns next week empty handed. Telling her to
    look out for a 6800 Ultra as a second choice didn't help either, no stocks
    anywhere.

    A few weeks ago I called off the quest when ATI told me "there are no plans
    for an X850XT PE in AGP in the foreseeable future" and a little research
    revealed just how fast the industry is killing off AGP e.g. the mobo
    manufacturers. Bringing my system up to the X800XT PE's full capability
    would soon be impossible.

    Settled for 120% saving on a nice digital camera instead. :)

    Just an afterthought: If, in the ATI/nVidia race, one of them could say
    "yes, our top end card is a few FPS slower than the opposition's, but gamers
    and enthusiasts can get one anytime, in any store, anywhere .............. I
    would declare them the winner and support them.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    I am not sure what you are saying - there is a X800 XT Platinum Edition
    with AGP 8X support, are you talking about direct from ATI (which I am not
    sure, they may not be one) or from people like Sapphire, etc.? Sapphire etc.
    sure have them with AGP support...

    > "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Go on Pricewatch.Com; you'll find the XT-PE in stock for much higher than
    >> MSRP. The Ultra Extreme is no longer an official retail product.
    >>
    >> These high-end cards are like Corvettes and Vipers. They are produced in
    >> very limited quantities (just for reviewers, it seems...) to boost the
    >> brand's image. The scrap rate at the chip foundry is ~ 20%, an insanely
    > high
    >> percentage in other industries.
    >>
    >> There was a time when the product cycle is only six months. Now it takes
    >> more than eight months for announced products to even approach being
    >> available.
    >>
    >> <doug.drodskie@eskom.co.za> wrote in message
    >> > Both ATI (e.g. X800XT PE) and nVidia's (e.g. 6800 Ultra Extreme) top
    >> > end
    >> > cards seem to have been produced in such small quantities that they are
    >> > unobtainable at any price. New top cards are being announced but will
    >> > we
    >> > ever be able to buy them? They seem to be targeting the mid/low-range
    > and
    >> > the high-end stuff is just show-off talk, about as meaningful as
    > political
    >> > speeches.
    >> >
    > My daughter took up a post with Disney Cruise Lines 6 months ago and she
    > went over there with strict instructions to buy and send back an X800XT PE
    > (huge currency SAVING of around $650). Despite her efforts to solicit help
    > from places like Circuit City and my direct requests to ATI to assist her
    > (which were refused), she returns next week empty handed. Telling her to
    > look out for a 6800 Ultra as a second choice didn't help either, no stocks
    > anywhere.
    >
    > A few weeks ago I called off the quest when ATI told me "there are no
    > plans
    > for an X850XT PE in AGP in the foreseeable future" and a little research
    > revealed just how fast the industry is killing off AGP e.g. the mobo
    > manufacturers. Bringing my system up to the X800XT PE's full capability
    > would soon be impossible.
    >
    > Settled for 120% saving on a nice digital camera instead. :)
    >
    > Just an afterthought: If, in the ATI/nVidia race, one of them could say
    > "yes, our top end card is a few FPS slower than the opposition's, but
    > gamers
    > and enthusiasts can get one anytime, in any store, anywhere ..............
    > would declare them the winner and support them.

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Veritech wrote:
    > If you ask me the whole pc gaming thing is pretty overpriced, but
    > then as a 17 year old student i'm going to say that aren't i.
    > But on the other hand after looking at the market carefully, us
    > "poor" guys are the ones getting screwed not those spending 300 quid
    > on single components, cause when you put together a pc for close to 2
    > plus grand, you don't really need to spend it again for a good 3,4
    > years which is a very long time in the pc world. meanwhile us
    > cheapo's buy a new pc for 500 quid and then HL2 comes out and we
    > shell out cash for another pc that just meets the min requirements.
    > Its on going cycle.
    > Personally after working on building a pc that can HL2 fairly
    > comfortably for 200 quid, i plan on building all my pcs from now on,
    > next time i'm gonna try and get a terabyte of HDD space, lol.

    Hehehe... I just finished that period of my life, haha... Well, the only
    time I ever bought a complete PC (except for later hobby projects, and a few
    laptops) was my first baby; a 486 DX-33. That baby is now a P4 3.2 GHz with
    an OC'd modded 9500 NP 128 MB.

    Upgrading, then selling off older components was the key for me. I bought my
    voodoo 1 card for 100 guilders, sold it for 75. I then got a Banshee for
    150, sold it for 75. In went a TNT2 for 150, sold for 100. Etcetera
    etcetera. I always bought second hand, dirt cheap parts, then I modded,
    overclocked them until I had a cheap but 'comfortable' gaming system. You
    dont need to have the top of the line to be able to play the latest games...
    My 9500 np is still blazing along after 2 years :-)

    Thomas.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Referring to the new 850 being produced only in PCIE, I know about the 800
    AGP.

    "Don Awalt" <donawalt@removethisgmail.com> wrote in message
    > I am not sure what you are saying - there is a X800 XT Platinum Edition
    > with AGP 8X support, are you talking about direct from ATI (which I am not
    > sure, they may not be one) or from people like Sapphire, etc.? Sapphire
    etc.
    > sure have them with AGP support...
    >

    > <doug.drodskie@eskom.co.za> wrote in message
    > > "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >> Go on Pricewatch.Com; you'll find the XT-PE in stock for much higher
    than
    > >> MSRP. The Ultra Extreme is no longer an official retail product.
    > >>
    > >> These high-end cards are like Corvettes and Vipers. They are produced
    in
    > >> very limited quantities (just for reviewers, it seems...) to boost the
    > >> brand's image. The scrap rate at the chip foundry is ~ 20%, an insanely
    > > high
    > >> percentage in other industries.
    > >>
    > >> There was a time when the product cycle is only six months. Now it
    takes
    > >> more than eight months for announced products to even approach being
    > >> available.
    > >>
    > >> <doug.drodskie@eskom.co.za> wrote in message
    > > and
    > > political
    > >> >
    > > My daughter took up a post with Disney Cruise Lines 6 months ago and she
    > > went over there with strict instructions to buy and send back an X800XT
    PE
    > > (huge currency SAVING of around $650). Despite her efforts to solicit
    help
    > > from places like Circuit City and my direct requests to ATI to assist
    her
    > > (which were refused), she returns next week empty handed. Telling her to
    > > look out for a 6800 Ultra as a second choice didn't help either, no
    stocks
    > > anywhere.
    > >
    > > A few weeks ago I called off the quest when ATI told me "there are no
    > > plans
    > > for an X850XT PE in AGP in the foreseeable future" and a little research
    > > revealed just how fast the industry is killing off AGP e.g. the mobo
    > > manufacturers. Bringing my system up to the X800XT PE's full capability
    > > would soon be impossible.
    > >
    > > Settled for 120% saving on a nice digital camera instead. :)
    > >
    > > Just an afterthought: If, in the ATI/nVidia race, one of them could say
    > > "yes, our top end card is a few FPS slower than the opposition's, but
    > > gamers
    > > and enthusiasts can get one anytime, in any store, anywhere
    > > would declare them the winner and support them.

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Gareee©" <gareeeNospam@charter.net> wrote in message
    > "Hawkeye" <Hawkeye__59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Seems that retailers are getting very little stock.
    >
    > I think the real issue with everyoje is the high prices. When you can buy
    > an ENTIRE PC, with a monitor, printer, dvd burner, and installed software
    > for the same price as *just* a graphics cards, there's obviously a problem
    > somewhere.
    >
    > And when I can buy a PS2, an X-Box, AND a GameCube for less then the price
    > of just a graphic card, the problem becomes more apparent.

    Not really comparable, PS2 and X-boxes are subsidised, that is they are
    basically sold at cost or even below cost based on the expectation people
    will buy more games (remember PS2s were 3 times the cost when there was no
    X-Box around?). If you are going to compare, you should at least consider
    that the lower resolution of the graphics are equivalent to a mid to low end
    PC card.

    Top end cards are basically like buying high performance engine compared to
    a bog standard engine for your car. Fewer are made, and cost more to make.
    Fewer sales would be made which means the price is higher to cover
    production costs.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    I remember those days. At least we got some exercise back then. :) Plus,
    I dont have to walk anymore with a pocket full of quarters!
    > Look at the bright side young one. At least you werent with us in oh
    > what was it 1975 or so walking a couple miles in the cold or heat to
    > the arcade to play Pong or Astroids if your familiar with those.
    >

    > --
    > ASUS A8V/Athlon 64 FX-55
    > ATI RADEON X800XT PE
    > 1GB OCZ Gold Edition Rev3 DDR PC-3700