Windows can not connect to the Disk Defragmentor engine

Since installing Windows XP /Home and SP2 I cannot Defrag my system disk c:

Anybody have any tips please?

Click Start, Run and enter SERVICES.MSC Check to see that the DCOM SERVER Process Launcher is Started.

http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/service/def.html

This service should be set to Started and Automatic.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"ClematHome" <ClematHome@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1847DF5-CB9F-4F42-99E8-8310F22CA027@microsoft.com...
> Since installing Windows XP /Home and SP2 I cannot Defrag my system disk c:
>
> Anybody have any tips please?

Hi Doug

The DCON SERVER process is started and automatic...

Now what, please?

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Click Start, Run and enter SERVICES.MSC Check to see that the DCOM SERVER Process Launcher is Started.
>
> http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/service/def.html
>
> This service should be set to Started and Automatic.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "ClematHome" <ClematHome@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1847DF5-CB9F-4F42-99E8-8310F22CA027@microsoft.com...
> > Since installing Windows XP /Home and SP2 I cannot Defrag my system disk c:
> >
> > Anybody have any tips please?

Open a Windows Explorer window and go to C:\Windows\Inf and locate the DFRG.INF file. Right click this file and select Install. This will re-install the Disk Defrag utility.

Additionally, did you install any trial versions of Disk Keeper or other defragmenting software?

"ClematHome" <ClematHome@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3046CB14-23F0-4B65-8038-0FB3D1E382E2@microsoft.com...
> Hi Doug
>
> The DCON SERVER process is started and automatic...
>
> Now what, please?
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Click Start, Run and enter SERVICES.MSC Check to see that the DCOM SERVER Process Launcher is Started.
>>
>> http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/service/def.html
>>
>> This service should be set to Started and Automatic.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "ClematHome" <ClematHome@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1847DF5-CB9F-4F42-99E8-8310F22CA027@microsoft.com...
>> > Since installing Windows XP /Home and SP2 I cannot Defrag my system disk c:
>> >
>> > Anybody have any tips please?

Hi Doug

Thanks for your time and responses..........tried your last suggestion.

I have finally solved the issue myself........

It would appear that there is an error in the User Permissions installed in
Windows XP / Home Edition and SP2. When the "Owner" is demoted to a User (or
removed from the system entirely), the incumbant System Administrator details
are not installed on all processes.

You gave me the clue .........to look at DCOM Services........there I found
that although I was registered as a System Administrator, I had no
permissions. Giving myself permissions solved the problem.

Thank you for your efforts and assistance

Best regards

Mike

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Open a Windows Explorer window and go to C:\Windows\Inf and locate the DFRG.INF file. Right click this file and select Install. This will re-install the Disk Defrag utility.
>
> Additionally, did you install any trial versions of Disk Keeper or other defragmenting software?

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "ClematHome" <ClematHome@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3046CB14-23F0-4B65-8038-0FB3D1E382E2@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Doug
> >
> > The DCON SERVER process is started and automatic...
> >
> > Now what, please?
> >
> > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Click Start, Run and enter SERVICES.MSC Check to see that the DCOM SERVER Process Launcher is Started.
> >>
> >> http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/service/def.html
> >>
> >> This service should be set to Started and Automatic.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
> >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> >> http://www.dougknox.com
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Very good catch!!

"ClematHome" <ClematHome@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:77C11D9E-CB3E-4FCD-B4AB-186F8623F1A1@microsoft.com...
> Hi Doug
>
> Thanks for your time and responses..........tried your last suggestion.
>
> I have finally solved the issue myself........
>
> It would appear that there is an error in the User Permissions installed in
> Windows XP / Home Edition and SP2. When the "Owner" is demoted to a User (or
> removed from the system entirely), the incumbant System Administrator details
> are not installed on all processes.
>
> You gave me the clue .........to look at DCOM Services........there I found
> that although I was registered as a System Administrator, I had no
> permissions. Giving myself permissions solved the problem.
>
> Thank you for your efforts and assistance
>
> Best regards
>
> Mike
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Open a Windows Explorer window and go to C:\Windows\Inf and locate the DFRG.INF file. Right click this file and select Install. This will re-install the Disk Defrag utility.
>>
>> Additionally, did you install any trial versions of Disk Keeper or other defragmenting software?
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "ClematHome" <ClematHome@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3046CB14-23F0-4B65-8038-0FB3D1E382E2@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Doug
>> >
>> > The DCON SERVER process is started and automatic...
>> >
>> > Now what, please?

I have the same problem. Not sure what I did, but I cannot find the Inf file
anywhere. Any suggestions?
--
Lyd.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Very good catch!!

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "ClematHome" <ClematHome@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:77C11D9E-CB3E-4FCD-B4AB-186F8623F1A1@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Doug
> >
> > Thanks for your time and responses..........tried your last suggestion.
> >
> > I have finally solved the issue myself........
> >
> > It would appear that there is an error in the User Permissions installed in
> > Windows XP / Home Edition and SP2. When the "Owner" is demoted to a User (or
> > removed from the system entirely), the incumbant System Administrator details
> > are not installed on all processes.
> >
> > You gave me the clue .........to look at DCOM Services........there I found
> > that although I was registered as a System Administrator, I had no
> > permissions. Giving myself permissions solved the problem.
> >
> > Thank you for your efforts and assistance
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Open a Windows Explorer window and go to C:\Windows\Inf and locate the DFRG.INF file. Right click this file and select Install. This will re-install the Disk Defrag utility.
> >>
> >> Additionally, did you install any trial versions of Disk Keeper or other defragmenting software?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
> >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> >> http://www.dougknox.com
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Hi Lyd,

The INF folder is a hidden folder. In Windows Explorer, you need to go to Tools, Folder Options, View. Change the settings so that you can see hidden files and folders and protected operating system files. Additionally, you can also just click Start, Run and enter C:\Windows\Inf and go straight to the folder.

Also check out Clem's recommendations on the DCOM permissions. To access these go to All Programs, Administrative Tools, Component Services. Once Component Services is open, expand the Component Services, Computers, My Computer, DCOM Config branch. Right click on Defrag NTFS and Defrag FAT engine. Select Properties. Go to the Security tab. In Launch and Activate Permissions, select Customize and click Edit. Ensure that Administrators is listed and has full control. You can also add your specific username and give it full control as well.

"OneEyeLyd" <OneEyeLyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADDCB166-8980-48B1-8861-7C68CFFDEA40@microsoft.com...
>I have the same problem. Not sure what I did, but I cannot find the Inf file
> anywhere. Any suggestions?
> --
> Lyd.
>

> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Very good catch!!
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "ClematHome" <ClematHome@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:77C11D9E-CB3E-4FCD-B4AB-186F8623F1A1@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Doug
>> >
>> > Thanks for your time and responses..........tried your last suggestion.
>> >
>> > I have finally solved the issue myself........
>> >
>> > It would appear that there is an error in the User Permissions installed in
>> > Windows XP / Home Edition and SP2. When the "Owner" is demoted to a User (or
>> > removed from the system entirely), the incumbant System Administrator details
>> > are not installed on all processes.
>> >
>> > You gave me the clue .........to look at DCOM Services........there I found
>> > that although I was registered as a System Administrator, I had no
>> > permissions. Giving myself permissions solved the problem.
>> >
>> > Thank you for your efforts and assistance
>> >
>> > Best regards
>> >
>> > Mike

Thank you for your suggestions.
I had to call for remote assistance. I love that feature!
I do have one more issue to fix.
I have rearranged things so badly by adding user accounts and then trying to
send my main doc's folder to My new doc;s folder....
I cannot find half of my stuff. and, I have moved or deleted my Windows
support tools files. This computer came with the software(xp pro) installed
and I do not have a disk to reinstall it. The company is no longer in
business either.
Any suggestions?
Thank for all of your help.
All of you, who replied.

--
Lyd.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Lyd,
>
> The INF folder is a hidden folder. In Windows Explorer, you need to go to Tools, Folder Options, View. Change the settings so that you can see hidden files and folders and protected operating system files. Additionally, you can also just click Start, Run and enter C:\Windows\Inf and go straight to the folder.
>
> Also check out Clem's recommendations on the DCOM permissions. To access these go to All Programs, Administrative Tools, Component Services. Once Component Services is open, expand the Component Services, Computers, My Computer, DCOM Config branch. Right click on Defrag NTFS and Defrag FAT engine. Select Properties. Go to the Security tab. In Launch and Activate Permissions, select Customize and click Edit. Ensure that Administrators is listed and has full control. You can also add your specific username and give it full control as well.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "OneEyeLyd" <OneEyeLyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADDCB166-8980-48B1-8861-7C68CFFDEA40@microsoft.com...
> >I have the same problem. Not sure what I did, but I cannot find the Inf file
> > anywhere. Any suggestions?
> > --
> > Lyd.
> >

> > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Very good catch!!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
> >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> >> http://www.dougknox.com
> >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

All pre-installed versions of XP must have some mechanism to recover/reinstall the operating system. This can be a regular CD, a "recovery CD/DVD" or a hidden partition on your disk drive. You need to consult the owner's manual that came with your system for information on how to restore your XP installation.