The most powerful Pc?

Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?

I'll start with

4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)
17 answers Last reply
More about powerful

    Veritech wrote:

    > Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
    > Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?
    >
    > I'll start with
    >
    > 4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

    From the small size of the array I take it that a 28-Xeon blade server is
    out of the question?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    I was think about the best you could fit in your average atx case, not
    "super" servers, but every little helps, lol.

    Veritech wrote:

    > I was think about the best you could fit in your average atx case, not
    > "super" servers, but every little helps, lol.

    Now, that makes for a bit different game from "cost no object" machines.

    > "Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
    >> Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?
    >>
    >> I'll start with
    >>
    >> 4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

    There are two ways to get "most powerful" in a more or less "ordinary" ATX
    case that I can see, one is to go with quad Opterons, but you can't get a
    quad Opteron (or Xeon for that matter) board as near as I can tell that has
    a video slot, so you're down to a dual board. Go with Supermicro X6DHE-G2
    (dual EM64T Xeons and SLI capable), max that out with 16 gig of DDR400 ECC
    RAM (note--the board _requires_ ECC) and 2 3.6 GHz Xeons.

    For video dual 6800 Ultras with SLI.

    Don't scrimp on the storage--go with a MegaRAID 320-2x RAID controller with
    20 Cheetah 15K3s for primary storage, 5 per channel, in RAID0+1
    configuration for about 360GB of fast storage. Add a Tekram ARC-1120 SATA
    RAID controller and 8 400 GB drives in RAID-6 for 2.4 terabytes of
    relatively slow storage.

    Put it all in one of Jinco's large server towers, with the drives in 3 5x
    hot-swap cages plus the internal bays. Add a 660 watt Enermax power supply
    and I think we're done. What have I forgotten?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Do not try to buid server if you want just a PC(workstation) LOL...

    "Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
    > Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?
    >
    > I'll start with
    >
    > 4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

    I've had an amazing workstation in the past (for the times) it was
    upgradeable at nauseum...
    it was all centered on a SERVER mother board! ATX form factor fits most
    towers
    ASUS CUV-4X-DLS:
    1 or 2 P3 1.13GHz
    up to 4 GB RAM
    Intel LAN controller
    2 UDMA (4 IDE drives)
    33MHz Dual channel Ultra160 SCSI (another 30 drives if you ever need the
    room)
    5 PCI ports
    1 AGP 4x/AGP pro

    we had 5 of them at work, most were running with 1 cpu, more active users
    had 2 (me :D).
    I still think server/workstation boards are the way to go if you want to be
    able to keep the same mobo for a long time. Multiple CPUs will always allow
    you to upgrade the speed of your system (less and less apps are not
    multi-threadable).

    Luc Monod wrote:

    > I've had an amazing workstation in the past (for the times) it was
    > upgradeable at nauseum...
    > it was all centered on a SERVER mother board! ATX form factor fits most
    > towers
    > ASUS CUV-4X-DLS:
    > 1 or 2 P3 1.13GHz
    > up to 4 GB RAM
    > Intel LAN controller
    > 2 UDMA (4 IDE drives)
    > 33MHz Dual channel Ultra160 SCSI (another 30 drives if you ever need the
    > room)
    > 5 PCI ports
    > 1 AGP 4x/AGP pro
    >
    > we had 5 of them at work, most were running with 1 cpu, more active users
    > had 2 (me :D).
    > I still think server/workstation boards are the way to go if you want to
    > be
    > able to keep the same mobo for a long time. Multiple CPUs will always
    > allow you to upgrade the speed of your system (less and less apps are not
    > multi-threadable).

    I think a "workstation" board would be a better bet than a "server" board,
    for the time being anyway. The reason for this is that "server" boards
    generally have no video slot. With PCI Express to some extent removing the
    distinction between "regular" and "video" slots that should change, but I'm
    not sure there are many server boards available as yet with PCI Express.

    > "Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote in message
    >> Do not try to buid server if you want just a PC(workstation) LOL...
    >>

    >> "Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
    >> > Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?
    >> >
    >> > I'll start with
    >> >
    >> > 4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    you forgot the 56k modem

    --
    Tony DiMarzio
    djtone81@hotmail.com

    Tony DiMarzio wrote:

    > you forgot the 56k modem

    Have to be an external--I think all the slots are full.

    --

    Veritech wrote:
    > Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
    > Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?
    >
    > I'll start with
    >
    > 4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

    I wonder what graphics card they gonna use in this....

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4150285.stm

    :)

    --
    Jez
    'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable

    NFS Underground2, Americas Army And MOH-PA

    "Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
    > Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?
    >
    > I'll start with
    >
    > 4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

    Hmm, 4GB of memory.
    Dual Xenon MOBO.
    Two top of the range SLI cards.
    Severe cooling.

    Sounds good to me.

    "Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote in message
    > Do not try to buid server if you want just a PC(workstation) LOL...
    >

    > "Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
    >> Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?
    >>
    >> I'll start with
    >>
    >> 4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

    With the amount of music and other odds and ends I have, i'd soon fill it
    all up.

    > For video dual 6800 Ultras with SLI.

    I'd prefer a 3DLabs Wildcat Realizm 800 w/ Multivew option card

    http://3dlabs.com/products/product.asp?prod=293
    640MB GDDR3 total memory.
    -512MB GDDR3 uni?ed memory with 512-bit-wide interface bus
    -128 MB GDDR3 DirectBurst memory with 128-bit-wide interface bus
    Independent dual 400 MHz 10-bit DACs
    Supports:
    OpenGL ® 2.0 (Full support when rati?ed)
    OpenGL 1.5 with OpenGL Shading Language
    Microsoft DirectX ® 9.0 with High Level Shader Language (HLSL, VS 2.0, PS
    3.0)

    Luc Monod wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >> For video dual 6800 Ultras with SLI.
    >>
    > I'd prefer a 3DLabs Wildcat Realizm 800 w/ Multivew option card
    >
    > http://3dlabs.com/products/product.asp?prod=293
    > 640MB GDDR3 total memory.
    > -512MB GDDR3 uni?ed memory with 512-bit-wide interface bus
    > -128 MB GDDR3 DirectBurst memory with 128-bit-wide interface bus
    > Independent dual 400 MHz 10-bit DACs
    > Supports:
    > OpenGL ® 2.0 (Full support when rati?ed)
    > OpenGL 1.5 with OpenGL Shading Language
    > Microsoft DirectX ® 9.0 with High Level Shader Language (HLSL, VS 2.0, PS
    > 3.0)

    Really depends on what you're doing. But that means you need an AGP
    motherboard which means an older chipset and slower RAM.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    It all depends on the application...

    For video rendering the bottleneck seems to be CPU/memory
    processing speed.

    --
    Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
    Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

    > Luc Monod wrote:
    >
    > > I'd prefer a 3DLabs Wildcat Realizm 800 w/ Multivew option card
    > >
    > > http://3dlabs.com/products/product.asp?prod=293

    > Really depends on what you're doing. But that means you need an AGP
    > motherboard which means an older chipset and slower RAM.
    >
    > --
    > --John

    take a look at the link, the Realizm 800 is:
    Board Physical

    a.. 16-lane PCI Express, single-slot, full-length and full-height card.
    Occupies two slots for the cooling solution
    b.. Compliant to the PCI Express high-end graphics electromechanical and
    power specification
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Luc Monod wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Luc Monod wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'd prefer a 3DLabs Wildcat Realizm 800 w/ Multivew option card
    >> >
    >> > http://3dlabs.com/products/product.asp?prod=293
    >
    >> Really depends on what you're doing. But that means you need an AGP
    >> motherboard which means an older chipset and slower RAM.
    >>
    >> --
    >> --John
    >
    > take a look at the link, the Realizm 800 is:
    > Board Physical
    >
    > a.. 16-lane PCI Express, single-slot, full-length and full-height card.
    > Occupies two slots for the cooling solution
    > b.. Compliant to the PCI Express high-end graphics electromechanical and
    > power specification

    It utility still depends on the application.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > >> Really depends on what you're doing. But that means you need an AGP
    > >> motherboard which means an older chipset and slower RAM.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> --John
    > >
    > > take a look at the link, the Realizm 800 is:
    > > Board Physical
    > >
    > > a.. 16-lane PCI Express, single-slot, full-length and full-height
    card.
    > > Occupies two slots for the cooling solution
    > > b.. Compliant to the PCI Express high-end graphics electromechanical
    and
    > > power specification

    So, it's a PCI-e 16bit card... just like most PCI-e video cards will be. It
    also needs a hairdryer fan to keep cool. Sounds like an old NVidia board to
    me.

Radeon Graphics