The most powerful Pc?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 11, 2005 2:02:38 AM

Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?

I'll start with

4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

More about : powerful

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:02:39 AM

Veritech wrote:

> Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
> Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?
>
> I'll start with
>
> 4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

From the small size of the array I take it that a 28-Xeon blade server is
out of the question?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

I was think about the best you could fit in your average atx case, not
"super" servers, but every little helps, lol.

"Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
> Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?
>
> I'll start with
>
> 4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

January 11, 2005 1:54:39 PM

Veritech wrote:

> I was think about the best you could fit in your average atx case, not
> "super" servers, but every little helps, lol.

Now, that makes for a bit different game from "cost no object" machines.

> "Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
>> Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?
>>
>> I'll start with
>>
>> 4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

There are two ways to get "most powerful" in a more or less "ordinary" ATX
case that I can see, one is to go with quad Opterons, but you can't get a
quad Opteron (or Xeon for that matter) board as near as I can tell that has
a video slot, so you're down to a dual board. Go with Supermicro X6DHE-G2
(dual EM64T Xeons and SLI capable), max that out with 16 gig of DDR400 ECC
RAM (note--the board _requires_ ECC) and 2 3.6 GHz Xeons.

For video dual 6800 Ultras with SLI.

Don't scrimp on the storage--go with a MegaRAID 320-2x RAID controller with
20 Cheetah 15K3s for primary storage, 5 per channel, in RAID0+1
configuration for about 360GB of fast storage. Add a Tekram ARC-1120 SATA
RAID controller and 8 400 GB drives in RAID-6 for 2.4 terabytes of
relatively slow storage.

Put it all in one of Jinco's large server towers, with the drives in 3 5x
hot-swap cages plus the internal bays. Add a 660 watt Enermax power supply
and I think we're done. What have I forgotten?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
January 11, 2005 2:54:08 PM

Do not try to buid server if you want just a PC(workstation) LOL...

"Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
> Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?
>
> I'll start with
>
> 4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:54:09 PM

I've had an amazing workstation in the past (for the times) it was
upgradeable at nauseum...
it was all centered on a SERVER mother board! ATX form factor fits most
towers
ASUS CUV-4X-DLS:
1 or 2 P3 1.13GHz
up to 4 GB RAM
Intel LAN controller
2 UDMA (4 IDE drives)
33MHz Dual channel Ultra160 SCSI (another 30 drives if you ever need the
room)
5 PCI ports
1 AGP 4x/AGP pro

we had 5 of them at work, most were running with 1 cpu, more active users
had 2 (me :D ).
I still think server/workstation boards are the way to go if you want to be
able to keep the same mobo for a long time. Multiple CPUs will always allow
you to upgrade the speed of your system (less and less apps are not
multi-threadable).

"Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote in message
> Do not try to buid server if you want just a PC(workstation) LOL...
>

> "Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
> > Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?
> >
> > I'll start with
> >
> > 4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:54:10 PM

Luc Monod wrote:

> I've had an amazing workstation in the past (for the times) it was
> upgradeable at nauseum...
> it was all centered on a SERVER mother board! ATX form factor fits most
> towers
> ASUS CUV-4X-DLS:
> 1 or 2 P3 1.13GHz
> up to 4 GB RAM
> Intel LAN controller
> 2 UDMA (4 IDE drives)
> 33MHz Dual channel Ultra160 SCSI (another 30 drives if you ever need the
> room)
> 5 PCI ports
> 1 AGP 4x/AGP pro
>
> we had 5 of them at work, most were running with 1 cpu, more active users
> had 2 (me :D ).
> I still think server/workstation boards are the way to go if you want to
> be
> able to keep the same mobo for a long time. Multiple CPUs will always
> allow you to upgrade the speed of your system (less and less apps are not
> multi-threadable).

I think a "workstation" board would be a better bet than a "server" board,
for the time being anyway. The reason for this is that "server" boards
generally have no video slot. With PCI Express to some extent removing the
distinction between "regular" and "video" slots that should change, but I'm
not sure there are many server boards available as yet with PCI Express.

> "Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote in message
>> Do not try to buid server if you want just a PC(workstation) LOL...
>>

>> "Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
>> > Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?
>> >
>> > I'll start with
>> >
>> > 4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 4:37:11 PM

you forgot the 56k modem

--
Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com

> Veritech wrote:
>
>> I was think about the best you could fit in your average atx case, not
>> "super" servers, but every little helps, lol.
>
> Now, that makes for a bit different game from "cost no object" machines.
>
>> "Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
>>> Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?
>>>
>>> I'll start with
>>>
>>> 4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)
>
> There are two ways to get "most powerful" in a more or less "ordinary" ATX
> case that I can see, one is to go with quad Opterons, but you can't get a
> quad Opteron (or Xeon for that matter) board as near as I can tell that
> has
> a video slot, so you're down to a dual board. Go with Supermicro X6DHE-G2
> (dual EM64T Xeons and SLI capable), max that out with 16 gig of DDR400 ECC
> RAM (note--the board _requires_ ECC) and 2 3.6 GHz Xeons.
>
> For video dual 6800 Ultras with SLI.
>
> Don't scrimp on the storage--go with a MegaRAID 320-2x RAID controller
> with
> 20 Cheetah 15K3s for primary storage, 5 per channel, in RAID0+1
> configuration for about 360GB of fast storage. Add a Tekram ARC-1120 SATA
> RAID controller and 8 400 GB drives in RAID-6 for 2.4 terabytes of
> relatively slow storage.
>
> Put it all in one of Jinco's large server towers, with the drives in 3 5x
> hot-swap cages plus the internal bays. Add a 660 watt Enermax power
> supply
> and I think we're done. What have I forgotten?
>>>

> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 5:01:35 PM

Tony DiMarzio wrote:

> you forgot the 56k modem

Have to be an external--I think all the slots are full.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
January 11, 2005 5:53:06 PM

Veritech wrote:
> Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
> Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?
>
> I'll start with
>
> 4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

I wonder what graphics card they gonna use in this....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4150285.stm

:)

--
Jez
'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable

NFS Underground2, Americas Army And MOH-PA
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 10:15:48 PM

"Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
> Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?
>
> I'll start with
>
> 4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

Hmm, 4GB of memory.
Dual Xenon MOBO.
Two top of the range SLI cards.
Severe cooling.

Sounds good to me.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 10:17:50 PM

"Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote in message
> Do not try to buid server if you want just a PC(workstation) LOL...
>

> "Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
>> Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?
>>
>> I'll start with
>>
>> 4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

With the amount of music and other odds and ends I have, i'd soon fill it
all up.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 8:12:26 PM

> For video dual 6800 Ultras with SLI.

I'd prefer a 3DLabs Wildcat Realizm 800 w/ Multivew option card

http://3dlabs.com/products/product.asp?prod=293
640MB GDDR3 total memory.
-512MB GDDR3 uni?ed memory with 512-bit-wide interface bus
-128 MB GDDR3 DirectBurst memory with 128-bit-wide interface bus
Independent dual 400 MHz 10-bit DACs
Supports:
OpenGL ® 2.0 (Full support when rati?ed)
OpenGL 1.5 with OpenGL Shading Language
Microsoft DirectX ® 9.0 with High Level Shader Language (HLSL, VS 2.0, PS
3.0)
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 9:32:55 PM

Luc Monod wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> For video dual 6800 Ultras with SLI.
>>
> I'd prefer a 3DLabs Wildcat Realizm 800 w/ Multivew option card
>
> http://3dlabs.com/products/product.asp?prod=293
> 640MB GDDR3 total memory.
> -512MB GDDR3 uni?ed memory with 512-bit-wide interface bus
> -128 MB GDDR3 DirectBurst memory with 128-bit-wide interface bus
> Independent dual 400 MHz 10-bit DACs
> Supports:
> OpenGL ® 2.0 (Full support when rati?ed)
> OpenGL 1.5 with OpenGL Shading Language
> Microsoft DirectX ® 9.0 with High Level Shader Language (HLSL, VS 2.0, PS
> 3.0)

Really depends on what you're doing. But that means you need an AGP
motherboard which means an older chipset and slower RAM.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 3:56:28 AM

It all depends on the application...

For video rendering the bottleneck seems to be CPU/memory
processing speed.

--
Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

> Luc Monod wrote:
>
> > I'd prefer a 3DLabs Wildcat Realizm 800 w/ Multivew option card
> >
> > http://3dlabs.com/products/product.asp?prod=293

> Really depends on what you're doing. But that means you need an AGP
> motherboard which means an older chipset and slower RAM.
>
> --
> --John

take a look at the link, the Realizm 800 is:
Board Physical

a.. 16-lane PCI Express, single-slot, full-length and full-height card.
Occupies two slots for the cooling solution
b.. Compliant to the PCI Express high-end graphics electromechanical and
power specification
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 12:51:14 AM

Luc Monod wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Luc Monod wrote:
>>
>> > I'd prefer a 3DLabs Wildcat Realizm 800 w/ Multivew option card
>> >
>> > http://3dlabs.com/products/product.asp?prod=293
>
>> Really depends on what you're doing. But that means you need an AGP
>> motherboard which means an older chipset and slower RAM.
>>
>> --
>> --John
>
> take a look at the link, the Realizm 800 is:
> Board Physical
>
> a.. 16-lane PCI Express, single-slot, full-length and full-height card.
> Occupies two slots for the cooling solution
> b.. Compliant to the PCI Express high-end graphics electromechanical and
> power specification

It utility still depends on the application.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 7:08:29 AM

> >> Really depends on what you're doing. But that means you need an AGP
> >> motherboard which means an older chipset and slower RAM.
> >>
> >> --
> >> --John
> >
> > take a look at the link, the Realizm 800 is:
> > Board Physical
> >
> > a.. 16-lane PCI Express, single-slot, full-length and full-height
card.
> > Occupies two slots for the cooling solution
> > b.. Compliant to the PCI Express high-end graphics electromechanical
and
> > power specification

So, it's a PCI-e 16bit card... just like most PCI-e video cards will be. It
also needs a hairdryer fan to keep cool. Sounds like an old NVidia board to
me.
!