power users access

i am having trouble getting legacy programs to run under power users local
group. I am logging into a Server 2003 env. and have set the domain accounts
to the local power users group.

thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about power users access

    NealJH wrote:

    > i am having trouble getting legacy programs to run under power users
    > local group. I am logging into a Server 2003 env. and have set the
    > domain accounts to the local power users group.
    >
    > thanks

    Unfortunately, some older software is incorrectly coded and requires
    more privileges than one would want to give the users. You should
    contact the makers of the legacy programs for either upgrades or
    workarounds to their software. Since you didn't specify what "legacy
    programs" you have, other people who may be running them and know the
    answer can't help you.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Sorry, the legacy app is called Extra Personal Client 32, a main frame
    program, TN3270.

    neal

    NealJH wrote:

    > Sorry, the legacy app is called Extra Personal Client 32, a main frame
    > program, TN3270.
    >
    > neal
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> NealJH wrote:
    >>
    >> > i am having trouble getting legacy programs to run under power
    >> > users local group. I am logging into a Server 2003 env. and have
    >> > set the domain accounts to the local power users group.
    >> >
    >> > thanks

    I did a Google for "Extra Personal Client 32" and came up with this
    website by its maker. Is this your software? If so, it looks like they
    have got upgraded versions that work with XP. I would contact their
    tech support.

    http://www.attachmate.com/en-US/Products/EXTRA+Mainframe+Ser
    ver+Edition/EXTRA+Mainframe+Server+Edition+Overview.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/89gnw

    Note that the first url is so long it wrapped and that's why I gave you
    the same url Tinyurled.

    Malke
    --

    NealJH wrote:
    > i am having trouble getting legacy programs to run under power users local
    > group. I am logging into a Server 2003 env. and have set the domain accounts
    > to the local power users group.
    >
    > thanks

    You may experience some problems if the software was designed for
    Win9x/Me, or if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly
    designed. Quite simply, the application doesn't "know" how to handle
    individual user profiles with differing security permissions levels, or
    the application is designed to make to make changes to "off-limits"
    sections of the Windows registry or protected Windows system folders.

    For example, saved data are often stored in a sub-folder under the
    application's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
    inexperienced or limited user should ever have write permissions.

    It may even be that the software requires "write" access to parts
    of the registry or protected systems folders/files that are not normally
    accessible to regular users. (This *won't* occur if the application is
    properly written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're
    often left with three options: Either grant the necessary users
    appropriate higher access privileges (either as Power Users or local
    administrators), explicitly grant normal users elevated privileges to
    the affected folders and/or part(s) or the registry, or replace the
    application with one that was properly designed specifically for
    WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Had to give admin rights to the domain account for the local computer so the
    security errors pop ups would stop. Power users access was not could enough

    thanks for your help

    Neal

Security Microsoft Power Windows XP