power users access

i am having trouble getting legacy programs to run under power users local
group. I am logging into a Server 2003 env. and have set the domain accounts
to the local power users group.

thanks

Malke

NealJH wrote:

> i am having trouble getting legacy programs to run under power users
> local group. I am logging into a Server 2003 env. and have set the
> domain accounts to the local power users group.
>
> thanks

Unfortunately, some older software is incorrectly coded and requires
more privileges than one would want to give the users. You should
contact the makers of the legacy programs for either upgrades or
workarounds to their software. Since you didn't specify what "legacy
programs" you have, other people who may be running them and know the
answer can't help you.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Sorry, the legacy app is called Extra Personal Client 32, a main frame
program, TN3270.

neal

"Malke" wrote:

> NealJH wrote:
>
> > i am having trouble getting legacy programs to run under power users
> > local group. I am logging into a Server 2003 env. and have set the
> > domain accounts to the local power users group.
> >
> > thanks
>
> Unfortunately, some older software is incorrectly coded and requires
> more privileges than one would want to give the users. You should
> contact the makers of the legacy programs for either upgrades or
> workarounds to their software. Since you didn't specify what "legacy
> programs" you have, other people who may be running them and know the
> answer can't help you.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

NealJH wrote:

> Sorry, the legacy app is called Extra Personal Client 32, a main frame
> program, TN3270.
>
> neal
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> NealJH wrote:
>>
>> > i am having trouble getting legacy programs to run under power
>> > users local group. I am logging into a Server 2003 env. and have
>> > set the domain accounts to the local power users group.
>> >
>> > thanks

I did a Google for "Extra Personal Client 32" and came up with this
website by its maker. Is this your software? If so, it looks like they
have got upgraded versions that work with XP. I would contact their
tech support.

http://www.attachmate.com/en-US/Products/EXTRA+Mainframe+Ser
ver+Edition/EXTRA+Mainframe+Server+Edition+Overview.htm

http://tinyurl.com/89gnw

Note that the first url is so long it wrapped and that's why I gave you
the same url Tinyurled.

Malke
--

NealJH wrote:
> i am having trouble getting legacy programs to run under power users local
> group. I am logging into a Server 2003 env. and have set the domain accounts
> to the local power users group.
>
> thanks

You may experience some problems if the software was designed for
Win9x/Me, or if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly
designed. Quite simply, the application doesn't "know" how to handle
individual user profiles with differing security permissions levels, or
the application is designed to make to make changes to "off-limits"
sections of the Windows registry or protected Windows system folders.

For example, saved data are often stored in a sub-folder under the
application's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
inexperienced or limited user should ever have write permissions.

It may even be that the software requires "write" access to parts
of the registry or protected systems folders/files that are not normally
accessible to regular users. (This *won't* occur if the application is
properly written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're
often left with three options: Either grant the necessary users
appropriate higher access privileges (either as Power Users or local
administrators), explicitly grant normal users elevated privileges to
the affected folders and/or part(s) or the registry, or replace the
application with one that was properly designed specifically for
WinNT/2K/XP.

Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

"If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
is the default.

C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

If you wish to undo these changes, then run

C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
full control."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Had to give admin rights to the domain account for the local computer so the
security errors pop ups would stop. Power users access was not could enough

thanks for your help

Neal