WinXP Pro-SP2-Firewall Cannot Be Started

May 25, 2005 4:52:04 PM

I've been trying to rescue a laptop that was infested with spyware. Among
the many behaviours this thing exhibits, I'm unable to start the Firewall
service. I get "Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection
Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer. <nl> Error 5: Access denied."

Account is local administrator, no domain involved, apparently no local
policies configured.

System is running Symantec Norton AntiVirus (9.0.0.338) and has a 2Wire
802.11b cardbus adapter with drivers & services.

Does anybody have a clue here?

-AS
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 6:06:58 PM

Adam;
See if this helps your firewall issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Adam Selene" <Adam Selene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been trying to rescue a laptop that was infested with spyware. Among
> the many behaviours this thing exhibits, I'm unable to start the Firewall
> service. I get "Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection
> Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer. <nl> Error 5: Access denied."
>
> Account is local administrator, no domain involved, apparently no local
> policies configured.
>
> System is running Symantec Norton AntiVirus (9.0.0.338) and has a 2Wire
> 802.11b cardbus adapter with drivers & services.
>
> Does anybody have a clue here?
>
> -AS
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 7:22:02 PM

Jupiter,

It didn't help. Wish it had. Good KB article. AntiSpyWare had been run --
multiple times along with AdAware and SpyBot. Seemed logical. But no help.

Thanks for the steer though.

Adam

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Adam;
> See if this helps your firewall issue:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Adam Selene" <Adam Selene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been trying to rescue a laptop that was infested with spyware. Among
> > the many behaviours this thing exhibits, I'm unable to start the Firewall
> > service. I get "Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection
> > Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer. <nl> Error 5: Access denied."
> >
> > Account is local administrator, no domain involved, apparently no local
> > policies configured.
> >
> > System is running Symantec Norton AntiVirus (9.0.0.338) and has a 2Wire
> > 802.11b cardbus adapter with drivers & services.
> >
> > Does anybody have a clue here?
> >
> > -AS

May 26, 2005 5:12:59 AM

anything seem odd on the general or Log On tabs for the service (in
services.msc)?
it's possible that some software is locking out access to loading the
service.

--
David
Microsoft Windows Networking

> Jupiter,
>
> It didn't help. Wish it had. Good KB article. AntiSpyWare had been
> run --
> multiple times along with AdAware and SpyBot. Seemed logical. But no
> help.
>
> Thanks for the steer though.
>
> Adam
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Adam;
>> See if this helps your firewall issue:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>

>> "Adam Selene" <Adam Selene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've been trying to rescue a laptop that was infested with spyware.
>> > Among
>> > the many behaviours this thing exhibits, I'm unable to start the
>> > Firewall
>> > service. I get "Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet
>> > Connection
>> > Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer. <nl> Error 5: Access denied."
>> >
>> > Account is local administrator, no domain involved, apparently no local
>> > policies configured.
>> >
>> > System is running Symantec Norton AntiVirus (9.0.0.338) and has a 2Wire
>> > 802.11b cardbus adapter with drivers & services.
>> >
>> > Does anybody have a clue here?
>> >
>> > -AS

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 2:00:01 AM

Yes. There are no event logs worth mentioning but there are LOTS of
Automatic Services that don't start as they should; Workstation, Server, DHCP
Client, Computer Browser -- all of these seem like pretty vital services to
me but have to be started manually. If I can get the owner to locate the
recovery cds, I think I'll save lots of time by reloading. The owner is
heavily into downloading "music" and the like and the system was badly
infested with spyware/malware. I've reset the Winsock lp's and done lots of
stuff I've seen suggested here. I'm troubled that some of these suggestions
involve procedures that the docs don't recommend for WinXP. Anyway, it's
apparent to me that there's corruption. Where is another matter.

-AS

!