9800 Pro - Vanilla vs All-In-Wonder

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 11, 2005 3:51:48 PM

I had to exchange my 9800 pro beause the cooling fan died. They didn't have
another one so I paid a small difference for an All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro.
Using the comparison tool on ATI's site, I see the only difference is the
vanilla 9800 Pro has DDR1 memory while the AIW has DDR2. I'm wondering, is
there any kind of performance advantadge to the newer memory?

TIA

--
Tweek

More about : 9800 pro vanilla

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 4:50:43 PM

Tweek <comeon@dood.com> wrote in message
> I had to exchange my 9800 pro beause the cooling fan died. They didn't
have
> another one so I paid a small difference for an All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro.
> Using the comparison tool on ATI's site, I see the only difference is the
> vanilla 9800 Pro has DDR1 memory while the AIW has DDR2. I'm wondering, is
> there any kind of performance advantadge to the newer memory?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Tweek

Damn, one annoying thing I just noticed is that there's no Hydravision
support for this card. I use that feature sometimes for video editing,
Photoshop, etc... damnit!
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 4:56:01 PM

Tweek wrote:

> I had to exchange my 9800 pro beause the cooling fan died. They didn't
> have another one so I paid a small difference for an All-In-Wonder 9800
> Pro. Using the comparison tool on ATI's site, I see the only difference is
> the vanilla 9800 Pro has DDR1 memory while the AIW has DDR2. I'm
> wondering, is there any kind of performance advantadge to the newer
> memory?

There is a performance advantage but it is very slight. The real difference
is that with the AIW you get a TV tuner and video-in but lose the VGA port.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Tweek wrote:

> Tweek <comeon@dood.com> wrote in message
>> I had to exchange my 9800 pro beause the cooling fan died. They didn't
> have
>> another one so I paid a small difference for an All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro.
>> Using the comparison tool on ATI's site, I see the only difference is the
>> vanilla 9800 Pro has DDR1 memory while the AIW has DDR2. I'm wondering,
>> is there any kind of performance advantadge to the newer memory?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> Tweek
>
> Damn, one annoying thing I just noticed is that there's no Hydravision
> support for this card. I use that feature sometimes for video editing,
> Photoshop, etc... damnit!

???? Hydravision should work the same on the AIW as it did on your Pro.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 10:24:24 PM

> Tweek <comeon@dood.com> wrote in message
>> I had to exchange my 9800 pro beause the cooling fan died. They didn't
> have
>> another one so I paid a small difference for an All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro.
>> Using the comparison tool on ATI's site, I see the only difference is the
>> vanilla 9800 Pro has DDR1 memory while the AIW has DDR2. I'm wondering,
>> is
>> there any kind of performance advantadge to the newer memory?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> Tweek
>
> Damn, one annoying thing I just noticed is that there's no Hydravision
> support for this card. I use that feature sometimes for video editing,
> Photoshop, etc... damnit!

Um, I have a 9600 AIW and Hydravision works fine. What is it not doing for
your card?
The following link states that it will work with all Radeon desktop
products.
http://www.ati.com/products/hydravision/products.html

HTH,
Anthony